News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The American Revolution starts tonight on American Heroes Channel.

Started by hogfamily, December 15, 2014, 02:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfamily

The American Revolution first two episodes tonight at 1700 - 1900  repeated at  2000 - 2200. (Alaska Standard Time)

On American Heroes Channel  #104 on GCI cable.
Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners.

"Move that fat ass Henry!"
"Don't swing your balls or you'll swamp the boat!"

slim

fisherdawg

FYI:
That's on the American Heroes Channel (AHC) #104 on GCI in the Anchorage area previously known as the Military Channel.

History Channel is showing Pawn Stars!
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

Medicus

Most Discovery Channel IP ends up on Netflix. Might make for an offbeat instructor meeting in a few months.

We have crossed a new frontier of nerd when we have American Revolution parties the way normal Americans have Super Bowl parties   ;)
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." Samuel Adams

"Just relax in the sling; we're going to make fun of you." -Pete!

Pete!

Quote from: Medicus on December 16, 2014, 03:03:54 AM
We have crossed a new frontier of nerd when we have American Revolution parties the way normal Americans have Super Bowl parties   ;)

Isn't that the point of AS?  That we care about such things more then we care about what 'roided-up mercenaries do on the gridiron?
-Pete

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)

jmdavis

Doesn't seem like a weird instructor meeting to me. I have worked IBC's where I showed a reenactment of Patrick Henry's Speech at the Second Virginia Convention.

There is more to history than April 19th 1775 and the better an instructor learns that history, the better he/she can convey it to the students.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

hogfamily

Quote from: Medicus on December 16, 2014, 03:03:54 AM
Most Discovery Channel IP ends up on Netflix. Might make for an offbeat instructor meeting in a few months.

Kinda like Rocky Horror Picture Show audience participation?

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners.

Medicus

Quote from: Pete! on December 16, 2014, 06:15:10 PM

Isn't that the point of AS?  That we care about such things more then we care about what 'roided-up mercenaries do on the gridiron?

One of the reasons this program resonated with me is my excitement at finding folks with similar interest.

Or, put another way, you all are my kind of nerds.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." Samuel Adams

slim

Quote from: fisherdawg on December 15, 2014, 09:55:43 PMHistory Channel is showing Pawn Stars!
They might be showing that stuff now... but previews for their series "Sons of Liberty" were shown during the AHC show and it looks pretty BA!

Quote from: Medicus on December 16, 2014, 03:03:54 AMWe have crossed a new frontier of nerd when we have American Revolution parties the way normal Americans have Super Bowl parties   ;)
I tipped my tinfoil tricorn to the nerds at AHC for naming this "trilogy" after another famous "trilogy." Rise of the Patriots, The Empire Fights Back, and Return of the Rebels can't be just cute names the producers thought up. Those came straight from nerdvana.

FourFans

FWIW, I know of a perfect "clubhouse" for the "history nerds". 
With one phone-call, any Sunday, Monday or Tuesday eve should be no problem. The coffee would even be hot. If anyone were to record, tivo, or anything else, this series: that is. I know the shop has Dish, but the times might be a pain, plus it might be nice to pause etc.
I even know the dude working there.
Pretty sure everyone knows where Birchwood is.
--FF
"should something happen,,tell the children of this night".
   --credited to Capt Parker, April 18th '75

22 A DAY

fisherdawg

Quote from: FourFans on December 17, 2014, 06:13:05 AM
FWIW, I know of a perfect "clubhouse" for the "history nerds". 
With one phone-call, any Sunday, Monday or Tuesday eve should be no problem. The coffee would even be hot. If anyone were to record, tivo, or anything else, this series: that is. I know the shop has Dish, but the times might be a pain, plus it might be nice to pause etc.
I even know the dude working there.
Pretty sure everyone knows where Birchwood is.
--FF

Well, let's do it...
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

hogfamily

All three episodes on again tonight one after another. Starts at 1600 and again at 1900. (Alaska Daylight Time)

Medicus

They'll do this again a couple of times, I'm sure. Can someone DVR it tonight, or another night? I like the idea of a Sunday or Tuesday meeting.

fisherdawg

fisherdawg

ItsanSKS

The episodes were available for purchase on Amazon.  $2.99 each for the HD versions. 

"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

FourFans

Fisherdawg says "let's do it",, and it is done.

I was able to secure the Range Master's shack, with a few easy limitations.
There is no restrictions on how many eves we meet. So maybe short/sweet to start, then...

So, as I see it:
- Birchwood R&P shack
- Sun, Mon, or Tues eve
- 6pm earliest - till ?,, 10pm is a HARD end time.
- We need a head-count on who is an EPM and who's not (we can work with those who might not be)( how can you NOT be? ,lol)
- I MUST be there
- the shack has a good sized Samsung tv that I'm sure we could plug any other device into
- Theres coffee, hot water, a fridge, a BATHROOM, and a microwave, etc etc

I know that at the recent IBC, I had what used to be discribed as a "near-vertical learning curve". That's the marksmanship portion, and it was well served. But Appleseed also has the history portion too. Maybe this will lead to good things on that end
      --FF

22 A DAY

Medicus

Can I bring Mrs. Medicus, ScutMonkey, and the girls? Or would it get too cramped? Mrs. Medicus and ScutMonkey might take the opportunity to get some trigger time before the show starts.

FourFans

PM me,, or call 301-1551

I can't see this as being anything but family freindly,, the shooting part, however,, we'll have to discuss. I have a great latitude, but there are still rules etc.
I think we could seat 10-12
  --FF

22 A DAY

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: ItsanSKS on December 18, 2014, 01:23:13 AM
The episodes were available for purchase on Amazon.  $2.99 each for the HD versions.

Cool!  Do you have a link? 

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Del

First three episodes were on last night. I think they did a pretty good job overall.

fisherdawg

Given the Christmas Holiday,
How about we start on Sunday Dec. 28th and continue on Jan 4 & Jan 11.  Start time between 6 & 6:30 pm.  Non-EPM's be aware we'll have to arrange gate passage.
Program will be to watch an episode each Sunday and then discuss.  We can set expect end time as 8:30 pm, though the first session might run longest as it encompasses April 19, 1775.
I definitely see this as family friendly.
What do you all think?
Wally

Quote from: FourFans on December 18, 2014, 01:49:31 AM
  Fisherdawg says "let's do it",, and it is done.

I was able to secure the Range Master's shack, with a few easy limitations.
There is no restrictions on how many eves we meet. So maybe short/sweet to start, then...

So, as I see it:
- Birchwood R&P shack
- Sun, Mon, or Tues eve
- 6pm earliest - till ?,, 10pm is a HARD end time.
- We need a head-count on who is an EPM and who's not (we can work with those who might not be)( how can you NOT be? ,lol)
- I MUST be there
- the shack has a good sized Samsung tv that I'm sure we could plug any other device into
- Theres coffee, hot water, a fridge, a BATHROOM, and a microwave, etc etc

I know that at the recent IBC, I had what used to be discribed as a "near-vertical learning curve". That's the marksmanship portion, and it was well served. But Appleseed also has the history portion too. Maybe this will lead to good things on that end
      --FF

fisherdawg

Quote from: ItsanSKS on December 18, 2014, 01:23:13 AM

Eric, can you post the link?  My search of Amazon only turned some of the older series, 2009, 2006 etc.
Thanks

Nero

"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

ItsanSKS

Thanks Nero.  That's the link alright.

Watched all three episodes last night with a Friend and his family.  I found myself pausing the video to explain some of the back story, and to correct some of the inaccuracies that were portrayed. 

Minor quibbles with some of the representations, wasn't a fan of the attempted sensationalizing of a story that needed none of it. 

All in all, I found it to be an enjoyable experience, and will certainly watch it again. 

I love the idea of an instructor get-together to watch this.  Bring note pads, and be ready to pause the video for discussion.  Each episode covers a ton of material, but glosses over even more, so having someone there who can fill in the blanks will be helpful for those who aren't intimately familiar with the story.  Also, there are certain characters who are mentioned, that I had never heard before, and I look forward to learning more about them.
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

Unbridled Liberty

For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

fisherdawg

I fixed the dates in Reply #21 above.  I meant Sundays all along, but had the dates wrong -- now corrected.  If this doesn't work for the group, let's talk & modify.
fisherdawg

fisherdawg

Quote from: Nero on December 18, 2014, 04:08:12 PM
Here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/Rise-of-the-Patriots/dp/B00R1OY0FO

Ok, does anyone have a supported device this can be downloaded to and then shown on the TV in the Range Master's shack?

509gman

"What! what! men, dodging this way for single bullets! What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist-"
Last words of Union Gen. John Sedgwick, before he was killed by a Confederate sniper.

Medicus

Quote from: 509gman on December 18, 2014, 11:38:22 PM
So no, it's not happening this Sunday?

Doesn't seem that way, but that's not a disaster for us. We still have a lot of pre-holiday prep over the next week. We're working on a sitter for Morg for the first night. I'll bring the other two runts out to watch and learn.