News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

2015 Centerfire Field Matches at CCFSA (Wilmington, Ohio)

Started by dirtdawg, December 11, 2014, 02:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtdawg

2015 Centerfire Field Matches

Purpose:
The purpose of this event is to test your field shooting skills.  In addition, this event will be an opportunity to connect with other club members, and perhaps learn some pointers.   This match is open to the public.

When:
Sunday, February 8, 2015 from 2:00-5:00 PM
Sunday, March 8, 2015 from 2:00-5:00 PM
Sunday, April 12, 2015 from 2:00-5:00 PM
Sunday, May 17, 2015 from 2:00-5:00 PM
Sunday, June 8, 2015 from 2:00-5:00 PM
Sunday, July 12, 2015 from 2:00-5:00 PM
Sunday, August 9, 2015 from 2:00-5:00 PM
Sunday, September 13, 2015 from 2:00-5:00 PM

Where:
Clinton County Farmers and Sportsmen's Association, 301 Batson Road, Wilmington, Ohio 45177.  Meet at the Rifle/Pistol Building for check-in.http://www.ccfsa.com

Cost:
$15.00  Proceeds will go to the club. 

Noah2A

My Dad has asked me at least 10 times in the last month if these matches are on for next year, including just this morning. Huzzah!  ;D

My money is on Ben this year if he is ever in town for one. He got an AR a few weeks ago and every group he has shot has been well under 2 MOA. Last week he cleared a standard sized Red Coat at 50 yards and came close at 100! My Dad and I have some catching up to do!

dirtdawg

slim

Del

I heard taking a dremel to the muzzle crown makes them more  accurate.  O0

slim

dirtdawg

Bump for next weekend. Hope to see some Appleseed folks on the line.

slim

I find myself sitting on more .223 right now than x39 so I think I'm going to shoot the ol' Match Rifle.

dirtdawg

Del

I can bring you a less than match AR if will make u feel better.

slim

Match Rifle didn't help me shoot better. Decent scores with the ol' irons though it's always nice to see the fundamentals are what matters most. Del wins the match and wins the day with, "Sometimes I even keep my eyes open when I shoot."

We had an interesting scoring question come up. I forgot all about it until I saw the other scoring thread had just been posted in.

A .223 shooter had a .30 hole on his paper. The traditional method of, "deduct the highest scoring hit" was applied and then it was noticed, "Well, he only has 8 holes - including the .30 cal hole - on his paper." Without having 10 holes (or more) why would we deduct points from the "extra" hole when it's obviously not his? And, shouldn't up to 10 hits score, regardless of where they came from? The shooter made the quite possible notion that one of his .223s could have been "under" the .30 hole. We chuckled a little and then decided we better ask the experts here on the forum.

Anyone have the official rules on how to handle that score?

.223 shooter with seven .223 holes on paper, one .30 hole, and two misses out of a possible 10 rds. How do we score that?

proneshooter

Quote from: slim on February 11, 2015, 11:06:54 PM
We had an interesting scoring question come up. I forgot all about it until I saw the other scoring thread had just been posted in.

A .223 shooter had a .30 hole on his paper. The traditional method of, "deduct the highest scoring hit" was applied and then it was noticed, "Well, he only has 8 holes - including the .30 cal hole - on his paper." Without having 10 holes (or more) why would we deduct points from the "extra" hole when it's obviously not his? And, shouldn't up to 10 hits score, regardless of where they came from? The shooter made the quite possible notion that one of his .223s could have been "under" the .30 hole. We chuckled a little and then decided we better ask the experts here on the forum.

Anyone have the official rules on how to handle that score?

.223 shooter with seven .223 holes on paper, one .30 hole, and two misses out of a possible 10 rds. How do we score that?
Three misses and plus whatever points the 223 holes account for.

See NRA Highpower Rifle rule 14.11.2

dirtdawg

Thanks for the reference. That is how I scored it, but the shooter was ticked and I didn't have a rule to back it up.

jmdavis

The first question is did the shooter get all 10 rounds off. Following that, count the number of rounds on paper. If there were holes from 2 different calibers, did anyone else have excessive or insufficient hits. Though I have seen people crossfire on sitting and rapid prone, the two stages most likely to result in a crossfire are standing and prone.

In rapid fire in particular and in a walk and paste as well. You want to really make sure that you have no doubles and that the shooter fired 10 shots before scoring. If he did you want to check the adjacent targets for excessive.  You also have to determine in the case of 9 hits whether all are in the 9 and 10 ring for rapids. If they are then that shooter can accept the score, challenge the score or refire and take the lowest 9 of the refire.

Reading all of the scoring section (14)  of the NRA manual is always helpful even if you are shooting a no-alibi/no-reshoot match.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

proneshooter

JM brings up a good point.  In this type of match, is there anyone watching each shooter during rapid fire?  If not, there is no corroboration on the number of shots fired by the shooter in question.

That is why, during rapid fire in both NRA and CMP rifle matches, the job of the scorer is to watch the shooter, not the target, and account for each shot.  It is also his job to confirm an alibi if the shooter claims it.

slim

There's nobody watching. This is a pretty informal match where we're basically out there just having a good time avoiding chores at home.

Thanks for the answers. Seems like the official scorer made the right call.

dirtdawg

Looks like some pretty poor shooting conditions for tomorrow's match...so come on out!

I have a guy filling in as Match Director, so I get a chance to shoot. Hopefully this old dawg shooting iron sights can give the fancy optics guys a run for their money. ;)

Noah2A

Ben (home for Spring Break),my Dad, myself, and hopefully my Dad's best friend will all be out after church!

dirtdawg

proneshooter

I'm gonna try to make this.  I've got an itchy trigger finger after this winter.

Del

How does the range look? I suspect it will be sloppy again. It wont stop me from coming out though.

proneshooter

Thanks for letting the guy with the funny gear come out and shoot.  It was fun to knock off the rust after about 6 yrs of not shooting anything but scoped rifles from prone and handguns.

I should make it back around a few more times and please remember that Miami Rifle & Pistol holds similar shoots with all three regulation distances.

I almost forgot about this........MRPC has some requirements to demonstrate proficiency before using their 500 and 600 yd lines: http://www.miamirifle-pistol.org/disciplines.php (it's towards the bottom of that page).  I know they waive that for shooters who have a classification in any NRA CF rifle discipline.

Corvette

What a great day yesterday weather wise. I was really depressed I could not join everybody at Wilmington. Hood you all had a great time.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Del

It was an excellent day for shooting and the scores showed it. 10 shooters with several scores over 400. I really enjoyed rubbing elbows with some current and former instructors.

If only we could get Dirtdawg to post the scores....you would think he works for a living or something.

dirtdawg

I sent them to the webpage guy!

Update-  Scores are posted! HERE

Thanks for coming everybody!  Nice to see some serious shooting.

Del

Thank you sir. Hopefully next month will be even better.

jmdavis

How many of you found your zeroes needing to go up due to the snow?

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."

jmdavis

No one found that they were shooting low, over the snow in bright sunlight?

Del