News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New Appleseed members

Started by PatB, November 03, 2008, 09:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PatB

Howdy ya'll! I have known about RWVA & Appleseed for about a year now and have finally joined. I feel that late is batter than never. I am a veteran myself and a PROUD AMERICAN PATRIOT!!!! I live in s.w Louisiana and would like to get in contact with any other members near to me. There is a good range just outside of Lake Charles that would be perfect to host Louisiana's first Appleseed! We need to network and find out how to make this happen! Please contact me. I have decided to step up and DO something. If we donot act on our own behalf NO ONE ELSE WILL! As the Marquis de Lafayette was quoted to say Vive la revolution!

smle

PatB,

Let me first say welcome aboard. We are very short in your neck of the woods.

I would recommend contacting one of the board members of the club in question and chat with that person. See how receptive they would be to an Appleseed shoot.

Do you have any targets? Showing them what targets we use can be a selling point. If you don't have any PM me with your address. I've got some extra.

Bigiceman, I believe, live in the Houston area, he may be able to give you some local help.

smle
If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid
If we forget what we did, we won't know who we are. Ronald Reagan
Courage is being scared to death - but saddleing up anyway. John Wayne

Fred

There's
    PatB, first take a look at http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=1651.0, especially the part talking to gun club members:

QuoteMember of a gun club? Be careful about approaching your honchos without a plan. Before approaching the board of directors, I suggest you shoot AQTs at the range until someone else wanders over, interested - and you recruit them. Once you have two or three club members  shooting AQTs in unison, see if you can get a member of the board  to come out and watch (and even try it out!). Armed with a board member on your side, and several other members, you can approach the board (I'd do it informally, at first, by calling each of them) with some expectations of success.

Go in front of the board by yourself, and you'll face antipathy in the form of questions like "who are these people?" "Why should we turn our range over to them for a weekend, and deprive our members of access?" "Why should we allow outsiders to come in, charge fees, and take the money off with them?" etc, etc.

So, go prepared, when you go - with a team. Other members, at least one board member, and having at least talked to all the board members by phone (invite them to see their members shooting the AQT!).

Experience on the Appleseed Trail offers convincing evidence that dealing with gun clubs is an art. Don't expect to waltz in and have them give three cheers for Appleseed. >:( :D

Then look at http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=64.0 which lists reasons for a gun club to host an Appleseed.

That should get you started...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

SamD

Thank you PatB for answering the call.

It won't be easy but you have lots of Help ;) available.

Seriously do not hesitate to ask and make sure you read Fred's link. It can save you some grief/sweat.
Thanks again
It's folks like you that keep it going and growing

Sam