News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ruger 50th Anniversary 10-22, designed by Appleseed Instructor, available

Started by nyrasgt, November 22, 2014, 08:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nyrasgt

Ruger Instructor Purchase Program offers 50th Anniversary 10-22 (#11173), designed by Appleseed Instructor, has
msrp of $379.  "Your" price:  $265, and I'm told they're in stock.
  Find a friendly FFL; the holidays are coming, and you've been...good.
Excelsior,
madMark/nyrasgt
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

mac66

Quote from: nyrasgt on November 22, 2014, 08:42:50 PM
  Ruger Instructor Purchase Program offers 50th Anniversary 10-22 (#11173), designed by Appleseed Instructor, has
msrp of $379.  "Your" price:  $265, and I'm told they're in stock.
  Find a friendly FFL; the holidays are coming, and you've been...good.
Excelsior,
madMark/nyrasgt

Does that price include shipping? 
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

nyrasgt

Believe so, from my reading of the Ruger IPP sheet.  Will reach out to my Ruger contact for definitive answer and advise.
madMark/nyrasgt
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists

Big John

That's tempting. Assuming the sights are Appleseed precision adjustable, that beats the 200 dollar
birch stock special at Rural King plus the 70 dollar tech sights plus the swivel studs.

You could get this guy into action with a set of swivels and loop sling.

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: Big John on November 25, 2014, 11:49:39 PM
That's tempting. Assuming the sights are Appleseed precision adjustable, that beats the 200 dollar
birch stock special at Rural King plus the 70 dollar tech sights plus the swivel studs.

You could get this guy into action with a set of swivels and loop sling.

The rear sight leaves a lot to be desired.  You will want to mount a MINI200 Tech Sight on it.

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

mac66

This should be in steals and deals with a link to the sheet.

just saying... ;)
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Del

How do we get in on this if we havent recieved our instructor credentials yet?

VietVet

Just an FYI for those who may not know.

This Model is NOT legal in New York State.

The "Flash Suppressor" on the end of the barrel puts this into the "Assault Weapons" category and cannot be sold or shipped to NY (except Active Law Enforcement Officers).

Look up the New York SAFE Act.

Here's a link to the "Banned Features" in the NY SAFE Act.

http://programs.governor.ny.gov/assets/documents/RiflesBannedFeatures.pdf

Yeah....Welcome to New York!  :wb:

OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: Del on November 26, 2014, 09:15:50 AM

You have a good friend who is a credentialed instructor order one on your behalf.  -:)

UL
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Fixer

nyrasgt

Folks,

1.   My contact at Ruger confirmed NO SHIPPING CHARGES - so  $265, plus whatever your friendly local FFL charges.
2.   As to the suggestion of posting a link to the Ruger Instructor Purchase Program sheet - will send same to any RHI who sends me
      an email address.  Ruger, as well as other participting manufacturers, do NOT want their order sheets (with "our" prices) posted
      for the general (and jealous) public.
     Also concur with need to avoid buying to pass on to another - Ruger sheet clearly states firearms are for training use and NOT to
     be sold - would hate to get jammed up, or worse, banned from participation over this.
3.  for IITs - get your RHI rating and credentials from AnotherDOM, or, Plan B, take an NRA Cert instructor course like the one I posted(pistol instructor) for Jan. 16-17-18 -
4.  VV is mostly correct regarding legality of the 50th Anniv. model 10-22, because it does have the evil and threatening flash-hider-
    have a call in to the NYSP number to further research same, as normal 10-22s are fine.  Per PL 265, law enforcement/peace officers
    are exempt, but specific model might have to be registered, hence the phone call.
Hope the above help.
Excelsior,
madMark/nyrasgt

-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: Fixer on November 26, 2014, 06:09:30 PM
Careful UL, that's awfully close to offering a straw purchase.

Not at all.  First, I am not offering anything.  Second, I know Del and I know that, because of his job, there is absolutely no way he is a felon or in any other way not qualified to purchase a firearm.  I will just leave it at that. 

UL
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

jwebster

Quote from: Unbridled Liberty on November 26, 2014, 06:04:02 PM
Quote from: Del on November 26, 2014, 09:15:50 AM

You have a good friend who is a credentialed instructor order one on your behalf.  -:)

UL

Quote from: Fixer on November 26, 2014, 06:09:30 PM
Careful UL, that's awfully close to offering a straw purchase.

Quote from: Unbridled Liberty on November 27, 2014, 06:26:05 AM
Not at all.  First, I am not offering anything.  Second, I know Del and I know that, because of his job, there is absolutely no way he is a felon or in any other way not qualified to purchase a firearm.  I will just leave it at that. 

UL

It's not awfully close to offering a straw purchase, it is the definition of a straw purchase as of Abramski v. United States and is a felony. Anything other than a legitimate gift (where the person gave you no compensation, money or otherwise), purchasing a firearm for someone else is straw purchase, even if the other party is legally eligible to purchase the firearm. The situation here is about the same as in the court case...a person used their discount to purchase a firearm for someone else, but was repaid for the purchase. UL, you may not have been offering anything, but what you suggested was a straw purchase situation.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/cert/12-1493

http://legalinsurrection.com/2014/06/supreme-court-affirms-narrow-reading-of-gun-straw-purchase-rules/

Del

If only there was a sarcasim font. Relax everyone, UL is not straw purchasing anything. Nor would I ask him or anyone else to put themselves in a questionable position.

Perhaps when they start the 2 for 1 deal.... ;D

jwebster

Quote from: Del on November 27, 2014, 03:24:06 PM
If only there was a sarcasim font. Relax everyone, UL is not straw purchasing anything. Nor would I ask him or anyone else to put themselves in a questionable position.

Perhaps when they start the 2 for 1 deal.... ;D

UL may not be straw purchasing anything, but he suggested it as an option. But coming from a "designated shoot boss" and "hero member," others may not realize that what he suggested is actually felony. Just putting the information out there so that someone doesn't make a stupid mistake.

By the way, I'm not saying I agree with that ruling or that it meets the spirit of stopping what a straw purchase is or should be...just saying that it is the current situation.

Big John

Incorrect. Ordering something is not the same thing as buying it. Buying a firearm is the act of picking up a firearm at an FFL and
doing the background check. If you do that part, you are straw purchasing. The intent is to not dodge the NICS check.

For instance, I could employee discount order you a pistol from Brand X and have it shipped to your FFL. You however would
be the owner of record since you're doing the NICS check. Paying for something, and buying it to resell to the other guy are two
different things. The literal example would be a gun costs 400 dollars, I hand you four C notes and say Merry Christmas at the gun
store, then you pay me back when you can, or you wait in the car, I buy it, and do the paperwork in my name, then you buy it from me.
It's the paperwork, not who pays for it, that matters.

Fixer

I hand you four C notes and say Merry Christmas at the gunstore
This is perfectly okay as the money is a gift.

then you pay me back when you can
This is fine also so long as the funds are considered a loan and/or the firearm stays in the possession of the purchaser.

or you wait in the car, I buy it, and do the paperwork in my name, then you buy it from me.
This is very much NOT okay and is the literal definition of a straw purchase.

It's the paperwork, not who pays for it, that matters.
This depends greatly upon intent.

Unbridled Liberty

jwebster- Thank you for clarification.  Of course I would not want to do anything in violation of federal law. I'm sorry for mentioning it.  You and Fixer are right, I am wrong.  Now let's not argue about it folks.

UL
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

nyrasgt

Speaking to VietVet's concern re #11173 Ruger 50th Anniversary rife being illegal to own in NYS, having both an evil flash-hider AS WELL AS the illegal threaded barrel to accept same... had a conversation yesterday with Investigator Hunt of the NYSP - confirmed that this is the case, as rifle would have to have been "registered" as an assault weapon (?!) by 4/15/14...and even LEOs would have to dispose of legally (sell to another exempt LEO person, to an FFL, or to someone out of this ridiculous, but much safer [or not] state) when the LEO retired from the job and thus was no longer exempt from the NYSAFE Act law - repeat - retired LEOs are NOT exempt from the limitations of the act - so will all have to get rid of their over-10 round magazines, etc...  Suggested to the investigator that this was nuts -  and was reminded that it is also the law - in NYS...even having the threaded bbl end makes rifle a banned firearm under NY's SAFE (sic) Act.

Plan B:  have put in an email to my contact at Ruger, reporting the above and asking if a "NY-compliant" version, i.e. no threaded bbl, flash-hider included but uninstalled, could be sold here in NY.  Suggested to her that there are likely a significant number of shooters in NYS who would be interested in purchasing a 50th Anniv 10-22...if they could, legally.

Beginning to sound similar to the original campaign toconvince Ruger to market an Appleseed-ready 10-22 from a few years ago...
Will report back Ruger's response.
Excelsior,
madMark/nyrasgt
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists

chiburger

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but didn't see a related one in the NY subforum ...

The Second Edition of the Ruger Collector's Series 10/22 Carbine is very similar to the 50th anniversary model except it doesn't have the scary flash hider and the barrel is is not threaded.  Here's a link to Ruger - http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Carbine/specSheets/21125.html

Hope this helps.

nyrasgt

chib,

Thanks for update.  Will reach out to Ruger and ask if the 50th II will be/can be included in the 2016 Instructor Purchase Program.
Appears to lack sling and extra mags, but not insuperable problems to overcome.

Stay tuned, and
Excelsior,
madmark/nyrasgt
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists