News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

What type of .22 ammo to bring?

Started by superdave, November 19, 2014, 10:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superdave

Hello.  I will be attending my first Appleseed Project in a couple of weeks in Fredericksburg and wanted to know what type of .22 ammunition to bring?  There are so many choices out there its a bit overwhelming.

Thanks,

David

AAOptics

carlb

If you have the option, pick up some CCI Mini-Mags (36 or 40 grains) or CCI Standard Velocity. But in this market, any .22 LR (long rifle) ammo will do. Try to get at least 400 rounds per person for a two day event, if possible.
"He who sacrifices essential liberty for temporary safety deserves neither" - Benjamin Franklin
"Children should be educated and instructed in the principles of freedom." - John Adams
"One hundred rounds do not constitute fire power. One hit constitutes fire power." - General Merritt Edson, U.S. Marine Corps

jmdavis

my advice would be to buy the ammunition that you can get which also works reliably in your rifle. What do you normally shoot out of it?

CCI minimags are a good choice, but some semi-auto's will have problems with the slower CCI std. Blazer is a pretty good compromise if you can find it.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

GTEngineer

Personally, I have shot CCI standard velocity, CCI mini mags, federal bulk (525 round bulk box), Winchester white box (333 round box), Federal Auto-match (bulk pack box), and Remington golden bullets, and they all perform fairly well in the 10/22 that I've shot them through.  There is a slight variation from ammo to ammo, but nothing that is going to be a big difference at 25 meters.

Probably the more important thing is find one that cycles your rifle reliably, and bring the same kind with you to an appleseed.  This way you won't run into a situation where you are zeroed using one brand of ammo and then try to shoot AQTs with a different ammo that is going to give you a different point of impact.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;..."
Ecclesiastes 9:10

1st Appleseed: Nov 16/17, 2013. Gurley, AL
2nd Appleseed IIT0: April 19, 2014.  Rising Fawn, GA

KD:
May 24/25, 2015. Manchester TN

RFKD:
Aug 20/21, 2022. Bothell WA

Requal:
Sept 30, 2017 Custer, WA
Feb 9, 2020 Redmond, WA
Apr 11, 2021 Redmond WA

Pistoleer™:
Nov 23, 2019 Eagle Creek, OR

Pistoleer™ requal:
May 22, 2021 Parma, ID
Mar 12, 2023 Redmond, WA

NRA Rifle Instructor

slim

Quote from: 42769vette on November 19, 2014, 10:42:43 AM
The kind you can get your hands on.
Yeah, what he said.

If you have many choices then buy a couple different brands so you can test them out to see which one you like best. If you weren't aware, .22 has been kind of hard to come by the last two years or so. If you can acquire some, do it!

As others have said, CCI is pretty good stuff but I see lots of folks out there with bulk boxes of Remington, Winchester, Federal and just about every other brand available. Bring what you can. Somewhere along he way you'll figure out what works best for you.

Nero

CCI is my favorite 10/22-feed (made in Idaho!)  Mini-mags if you're going to run them dirty - it's got the energy to power through the gunk in the action. 

Also, see a past newsletter article on ammo testing here:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=32732.0
(Assuming, of course, you can actual get multiple types of 22LR.)
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass