News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Sharpshooters USA - Roswell, GA - Oct 18, 2014 (one day event)

Started by Roswell, October 19, 2014, 10:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roswell

Sharpshooters USA was as accommodating as ever and was kind enough to open their doors early just for us. We began by getting all of our safety briefings out of the way and hit the ground running with a Redcoat target.  After some instruction on the prone position and sling use, the shooters showed what they had learned. Many were happy to see the instruction was already beginning to pay off. From then on, the fire hose of instruction was turned on and the students eagerly drank it down.

We broke for lunch and listened to the first 2 Strikes. Then it was back to the line for more instruction. We moved along at a good pace until our mid-afternoon break when we heard the Third Strike.  After that, it was again back to the line and we were somehow able to squeezed out 2 AQTs and a Redcoat target!  :--- The students were very pleased to see their progress and there were smiles all around.

We closed with a benediction on Timothy Murphy and how one man (or woman) can indeed make a difference. We were also fortunate enough to have 3 future shoot bosses attend and earn their Luther Blanchard patches. Huzzah!

Unfortunately, we didn't end up with any Riflemen, but we had so many shooters that were knocking on the door! Shooters, I know each of you has what it takes to earn your patch. Persist and Dry Fire!  ~~:)  Remember, perfect practice makes perfect. I hope to see each of you at future events; hopefully, with others, also eager to hear the message of Liberty.

In Liberty,
Roswell
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Roswell

Below are the pictures I snapped, if anyone else took any please share.

The Redcoat target being engaged in the morning.

Dr John diagnosing problems on the line.

Students and instructors down at the target line.

Practicing the Seated positions

Standing

Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24

Liberty1

Question/Observation: Are AQT scores interpreted in the same way whether shot via Iron Sights or via a Scope? Is it not safe to assume that for the majority the use of a Scope will result in a better AQT score as contrasted to the use of Iron Sights (unaided sighting)?

Had a great time and I  learned a lot.

Roswell

Quote from: Liberty1 on October 20, 2014, 01:48:34 PM
Question/Observation: Are AQT scores interpreted in the same way whether shot via Iron Sights or via a Scope? Is it not safe to assume that for the majority the use of a Scope will result in a better AQT score as contrasted to the use of Iron Sights (unaided sighting)?

Had a great time and I  learned a lot.

Yes, AQTs are scored the same. Many assume that having a scope is an inherent advantage, but that isn't necessarily the case, especially at close distances. Both have their drawbacks. For example, a scope with high magnification can actually make it harder because every tremble of your body is also magnified through a scope. Also, one could be zoomed in so far that they do not realize they are shooting their neighbor's target and not their own. In the same sense, if one has vision problems a scope makes it MUCH easier to see the target (actually it does for everyone). And if at 500 yards or beyond, one may really want to consider a scope to see the target at all.

Clear as mud?  ;D

Shemp

It was an extremely fun day and I learned alot; especially on how to properly use a sling.

I will have to disagree and say that having a scoped rifle, especially using range simulating targets, is a huge advantage. A large part of my problem was being able to get iron sights on the much smaller 450 yard targets. Yes, breathing and trigger control are hugely influential factors but if you can barely tell where the target is with irons then having a magnifying scope certainly would alleviate, if not eliminate, that issue.

Discounting the advantage a scope has over using standard irons is ignoring the truth. I have no problems with using a scoped rifle but the scoring shouldn't be the same for both. The Army certainly doesn't let you us a scope to qualify.

Liberty1

Indeed, I can see if someone is over-magnified (zoomed too far) they'd be somewhat handicapped. I would have liked to have seen everyone that used a scope afforded the opportunity to shoot irons too so they'd more aptly appreciate a situation where a scope is not available or broken... analogous to having matches versus a broken lighter.  Here's a couple pics of our instructors:

freedomzxcv

Quote from: Shemp on October 20, 2014, 05:00:13 PM
It was an extremely fun day and I learned alot; especially on how to properly use a sling.

I will have to disagree and say that having a scoped rifle, especially using range simulating targets, is a huge advantage. A large part of my problem was being able to get iron sights on the much smaller 450 yard targets. Yes, breathing and trigger control are hugely influential factors but if you can barely tell where the target is with irons then having a magnifying scope certainly would alleviate, if not eliminate, that issue.

Discounting the advantage a scope has over using standard irons is ignoring the truth. I have no problems with using a scoped rifle but the scoring shouldn't be the same for both. The Army certainly doesn't let you us a scope to qualify.

The scope is a definite advantage in scores. It isn't an advantage when learning the six steps to firing the shot. It is too easy to fool yourself with a scope, especially when turned up past 3x. It allows you to muscle the rifle on target. Shemp, if you learn how to find NPOA and make hits with that garand, you will only get better and more precise when you use optics. The scope users might fool themselves by scoring 210, but will never be able to recreate that score with irons.

The M1 has a relatively wide front sight to begin with. Since your rifle has been shortened, the front sight will cover even more of the target than a standard M1 with its longer sight radius. You get to where you can score rifleman with a man's gun and irons, you might clean an AQT with a scoped .22. Keep it up, knowing that when you learn what we're teaching, you will be able to pick up any rifle you want and be able to put it to full use.
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - CS Lewis

Roswell

Thank you freedomzxcv.

I didn't mean to insinuate that scopes don't make it easier to see the target. I just wanted to point out that there are difficiencies with both. Bottom line: a piece of glass can't shoot a rifle by itself. To be a Rifleman you're going to have to get a good position with all the steady hold factors, get NPOA and follow the 6 steps of firing the shot and do so in cadence unsupported within the time constraints. That's pretty demanding after just a day or two of instruction. And we are very much a shoot what you brought organization.

HRoark

Thanks you all for a great day and a great write up.  I had a wonderful time listening to the Strikes, hitting the Red Coats, and meeting the legend Dr John.  We ITP people are lucky to have a venue as nice and courteous as SharpShooters USA to host the event.  I had never been there, but will be sure to go back and support them.  I will be back, after a few more hours on the floor dry firing.... with my .22 and irons.

Thanks again.

Shemp

Quote from: freedomzxcv on October 20, 2014, 08:28:00 PM
Quote from: Shemp on October 20, 2014, 05:00:13 PM

The scope is a definite advantage in scores. It isn't an advantage when learning the six steps to firing the shot. It is too easy to fool yourself with a scope, especially when turned up past 3x. It allows you to muscle the rifle on target. Shemp, if you learn how to find NPOA and make hits with that garand, you will only get better and more precise when you use optics. The scope users might fool themselves by scoring 210, but will never be able to recreate that score with irons.

The M1 has a relatively wide front sight to begin with. Since your rifle has been shortened, the front sight will cover even more of the target than a standard M1 with its longer sight radius. You get to where you can score rifleman with a man's gun and irons, you might clean an AQT with a scoped .22. Keep it up, knowing that when you learn what we're teaching, you will be able to pick up any rifle you want and be able to put it to full use.

Please don't misunderstand...I am completely hooked on Appleseed now. I guess I just went in to it with a different mindset more akin to what you described. I'd much rather be able to hit Rifleman on the AQT using irons as a scope isn't always available or reliable. I was just surprised to see so many there with no difference in scoring.

Unfortunately, and by no means am I trying to cover up my shooting ability ( or diability), I didn't realize that my rear sight was very loose in the sight base until the very end of the day. Thanks be to Doc and his encyclopedic knowledge of the M1 I am ordering a new rear sight peep and a thinner front sight post. I'm going to order some AQT targets and see if that helps me out at all once I have some stable, rock solid sights.

Thanks again to everyone such a wonderful day of patriotism, teaching, friendship, and FUN!

Here's a link to a short review I did on the ODT:
http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/792048-My-Appleseed-Experience?p=3995021#post3995021