News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Speaking of Garands

Started by mac66, October 10, 2014, 09:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac66

Was up at my property south of Houghton Lake and stopped in Gladwin to talk to George. George owns the local pawn shop and is an Appleseed shooter. He has a Garand in stock.

The good news is that it appears to be all Springfield Armory parts from what I could tell.

The bad news is that it is beat to hell. Virturally no finish on the barrel and the stock has been sanded down and is beat up. Looks like someone was going to refinish it and never got around to it.

The good news is the internally it looks pretty good, though the bore was a little crusty but that may just be dusk and left over crud.

The bad news it that I didn't get a chance to pull it a apart, though George tell me that serial number is from the 1950s. I did not write it down however.

The good news is that I am going back up early next week and can look at it closer, get the S#, and take photos if anyone is interested.

The bad news is that he is asking $699.

The good news is that the Appleseed cash price could be quite a bit lower than that.  If the gun is an out of pawn deal one might get a good deal on it. I've bought a couple guns from George, he is good people.

The bad news is that I didn't ask, didn't think about seeing if anyone else is interested until I was driving home today.

If anyone is interested I am heading back up on Monday or Tuesday, or I send you PM his phone number.  He has could other guns I am trying to resist so I will probably stop in coming or going.
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

jmdavis

It's hard to beat the price and quality of a CMP M1.

http://odcmp.com/Sales/m1garand.htm
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

mac66

Quote from: jmdavis on October 10, 2014, 10:09:49 PM
It's hard to beat the price and quality of a CMP M1.

http://odcmp.com/Sales/m1garand.htm

Yeah, we are all very much aware of CMP Garands. Occasionally one finds one outside the lines so to speak. Some are way overpriced collector items some commando used to personally kill Hitler or Tojo, some are junk, some could be diamonds in the rough. I am kinda old school an old enough to remember handling real Garands, not the remade, refurbished kind.  I am still looking for that WWII bring back that has been siting in the basement for 65 years and the owner wants to give it to someone (like me) who will appreciate it for $300. ;)
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan