News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Libertyseed Ledger - Florida schedule, maps, stories and more!

Started by 308LIBERTY, October 08, 2014, 06:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

308LIBERTY

REVISED, 11-4-2014 - Edited the newsletter, updated the shoot schedule, replaced new logos and more.

This is the culmination of several ideas I've been thinking about lately: a way to strengthen both our instructor and student community by adding a social element to what we do. Beginning in November, I would like to invite everyone out to an informal practice night, followed by a gathering over dinner, including some short stories from '76 and free AS swag. Think of it as a mini-LibertySeed with shooting and food.

I have always believed that community was a strong part of the Appleseed message, yet felt we don't do enough to build upon that ideal. Well, it starts in our own backyard. We are the foundation of Appleseed and it's high time we stop worrying over the sinking ship, paddle to shore and start planting on good soil. We are Riflemen, not pirates. The dream that was America was a fertile land of Liberty and it can be again.

Appleseed can be so much more if we work hard enough, don't get in our own way and practice what we preach. Also, there's no reason why we can't have a little fun and make friends doing it. I'm hoping to do this practice/social night at least every other month, in the beginning, and monthly if/when the concept catches on. I think it would be a great way to introduce new people to Appleseed and besides, who couldn't use a little more practice? Details within:
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

308LIBERTY

I just spoke to the range about the practice/social night. They are even putting it on their monthly calendar as "Intro to Appleseed." I'm beginning to see potential here already.
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

xsquidgator

Three O'Eight-
I really like this, the idea of the newsletter type thing and the event.  Perhaps others who might have tried the concept of an intro to Appleseed can chime in with their experiences.  I think taking every opportunity, or making new opportunities to introduce people to Appleseed is a good thing, and that it ought to pay off by eventually getting more people into your regular AS events.

At Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club (thanks btw for including us on your central Florida area list of ranges/events!) we started doing half-day "Appleseed practice" sessions during the months when it wasn't possible to schedule a full AS event.  (probably similar to the shooting events you're putting together, AS-related but not an actual AS)  This lets us tell everyone that although the schedule changes month to month, there will be at least a half day Appleseed practice event or a full two day AS, every month.  Some people I think are just too intimidated by the prospect of signing up for a full two day event, but a Saturday morning deal is something they will do more readily to kind of check it out.  Once we get them in the door even this little bit, most of them get over that shyness and want more.  Out of the people we've had come to these not-official AS practice things, several have gone on to attend the full AS and at least one earned his patch. 

I'm learning to be cautious when even kicking an Appleseed-related idea around that is outside the box (see the thread on working with outside groups, for instance, to get an appreciation of some of the unintended consequences of not running things through channels).  But, I think there's a lot of value in each of us finding and making opportunities to promote AS.  Good job!

308LIBERTY

What you are doing is awesome, xsquidgator. I'll have to come join you one weekend. I actually did run this by a couple shoot bosses before I even posted it here (and now several more). Even told one to reign me in if I get too far ahead of myself, but be prepared for me to tug on the reins.  >:D

I've also learned how quickly things can go downhill when you try to suggest an idea on the forums.  :DH: I figured this time, actions would speak louder than words and when this concept is proven, it can always be tweaked. I fully agree with the concept of mini-seeds and other outside the box ways to introduce new shooters to Appleseed and it is my intention to promote them when I become a shoot boss myself.

Actually got my red hat on Sunday. I was very resistant to even considering going any farther than that when I started out, but I have some great motivators here in FL and I see no reason to stop moving forward now. I do see some possible pitfalls and problems creeping up with these ideas, but Appleseed doesn't have to live with problems and I have confidence they can be overcome. I'm lucky to be surrounded by men and women who know what they are about, have more wisdom and experience than I, and have been there at every turn to support me when I needed it.

Sly223

You are our future!
Drive on Sirs!
If you come across some difficult challenge's find a better way to achieve success.
.308 I will be there.
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

Spartacus2002

What is the start time for the Nov. 6 libertyseed?  Are we limited to rimfire rifles?

stoneknives

"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry

308LIBERTY

UPDATE! - The newsletter has now been changed to "Appleseed Ledger" including the new logos. I also revised the first page to make it work for those who might not know about Appleseed yet, updated the shoot schedule through Feb 1 and fixed some errors.

stoneknives

That's beautiful work my friend. Can I put it up on the fbook page?
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry

9mm4545

Excellent! This is really good work and I will look forward to hearing of the results.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

308LIBERTY

Sure Henry, it may be distributed freely. In fact I need to go pick up some copies tonight. If we end up with extras, I'll leave them at the range next to our flyers.

Fred

An excellent job!

Can you figure a way to distribute this via the web to potential attendees who may be snowbirds this winter?
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

308LIBERTY

Quote from: Fred on November 05, 2014, 06:12:00 PM

An excellent job!

Can you figure a way to distribute this via the web to potential attendees who may be snowbirds this winter?

Stoneknives has been promoting it on Florida's FB page although just the first page and we both set up FB events. Not sure how to distribute the whole newsletter though. My efforts are leaning more "boots on the ground" lately and hopefully hitting as many ranges as possible over time. It's starting to look like we may have a decent turnout.

inSANEmom

I printed out the new Ledger and it looks great. My only suggestion is that a reference to the FB page be included.

"Find us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/FloridaAppleseed"

The FB page is a great resource for new folks and can instantly connect them to a "real person" instead of only to the website. Once they are "talking" to someone, it easier to keep them hooked... and even if they only "like" the page, they will get regular reminders and keep the program in front of them.

-----AMY-----

Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have. - Ronald Reagan

308LIBERTY