News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Something 'Seedy with Halloween Candy

Started by brianheeter, October 08, 2014, 03:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianheeter

I've had a thought that I have forgotten to follow up on....  What if we gave out a small slip of paper with Halloween candy to trick-or-treaters this year?  Something that briefly told what we were about and what we do.  It would have to be visually catchy and interesting so it would involve graphics.  I was also thinking that if it were attached to a piece of candy it would have to be handled and would be less likely to be discarded without being noticed.

It would need to be "tasteful" so that it wouldn't offend more people than absolutely necessary (some people are going to be offended as soon as they see firearms are involved) and appropriate for a wide age range.  Maybe not for toddlers but parents of toddlers, teens, pre-teens, etc.

Help me out with your ideas for how the verbiage should read, what graphic(s) to include, etc.  Also, given this late date it would have to be something that we can print out on our printers at home and small enough that we can get several "messages" per sheet.

Thanks,

brian
(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

slim

What if a kid chokes and dies on the Appleseed candy? Sounds like too much of a risk to me.

Del

slim

Those sound dangerous too.

Dangerously delicious!

azmule

Is there any notable Revolutionary War stories that tie into October 31?  Preferably that have nothing to do with Ichabod Crane?   ;D
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

slim

I don't think Halloween was a thing in Protestant New England.

stoneknives

This is from history.com . Hope it helps.

"On this day in 1776, in his first speech before British Parliament since the leaders of the American Revolution came together to sign of the Declaration of Independence that summer, King George III acknowledges that all was not going well for Britain in the war with the United States.

In his address, the king spoke about the signing of the U.S. Declaration of Independence and the revolutionary leaders who signed it, saying, "for daring and desperate is the spirit of those leaders, whose object has always been dominion and power, that they have now openly renounced all allegiance to the crown, and all political connection with this country." The king went on to inform Parliament of the successful British victory over General George Washington and the Continental Army at the Battle of Long Island on August 27, 1776, but warned them that, "notwithstanding the fair prospect, it was necessary to prepare for another campaign."

Despite George III's harsh words, General William Howe and his brother, Admiral Richard Howe, still hoped to convince the Americans to rejoin the British empire in the wake of the colonists' humiliating defeat at the Battle of Long Island. The British could easily have prevented Washington's retreat from Long Island and captured most of the Patriot officer corps, including the commander in chief. However, instead of forcing the former colonies into submission by executing Washington and his officers as traitors, the Howe brothers let them go with the hope of swaying Patriot opinion towards a return to the mother country.

The Howe brothers' attempts at negotiation failed, and the War for Independence dragged on for another four years, until the formal surrender of the British to the Americans on October 19, 1781, after the Battle of Yorktown."
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry