News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Help on Hezekiah Wyman

Started by IXOYE, September 22, 2014, 04:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreamerofdreams

We're all on the same side here, right? 

asminuteman has a good point regarding the discrepancy in ages amongst the various sources, however it is entirely fair to say that we have less evidence to support the Wyman story than we do many (most?) of the other stories we tell.  This does alter my personal telling of this story.

That is not to say that anyone should stop telling this story or alter how they tell it.

But I find it laudable for IITs and anyone, really, to research the sources for our stories, particularly when they have heard them told in varying ways.  In fact, I encourage the IITs I mentor to do as much.  Relying on Fisher is certainly fine, as is presenting the story as legend or looking further into citations.

A discussion of those other sources is interesting and informative for all if it can be done amicably.
"On one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
And his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart."

Twineagles

I think with the DOM I always preface as stories about people who did their part that day. Folks who could of just as easily stayed at home. If the embellishment makes for a better story so be it.

Mike
Every time I teach a class, I discover I don�t know something - Clint Smith

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. � John Wayne

FiremanBob

J.L. Bell is as good a research resource as one could hope, as he spends untold hours scouring the primary sources for his Boston1775 blog. If anyone could have found proof of Wyman's exploits on the day, he would. Nobody in this thread is doubting the existence of H. Wyman. I think we all would like to have concrete evidence that he actually was the Pale Rider of Battle Road.

I'll continue to tell the story of D.O.M. Hezekiah Wyman, introduced as "some historians say this is a legend, but the man was real and lack of written evidence does not mean this story, as passed down through the families of those who were there, isn't true..."

And describing Wyman as being in his 55th year is perfectly accurate. However, it would not be accurate to say 4/19 was his 55th birthday since the written record shows his being born in August, 1720.

I think it is a wild speculation, even irresponsible, to assert that Wyman had a rifle that day. Such an unusual firearm would have been noteworthy, and he would have been able to shoot from such distances (200 yards plus) that the Pale Rider legend would not have arisen, as he would have been too far away to make out among the smoke of the battle.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

slim

Should we preface all of our stories with a disclaimer now?

Uncle Davey

Those who stay will be champions. Those who persist will be riflemen.

dreamerofdreams

Quote from: slim on September 24, 2014, 10:12:34 PM
Should we preface all of our stories with a disclaimer now?

The point is that this particular story has significantly less in the way of reliable sourcing than the others we tell.  That is why I personally specifically preface this one.
"On one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
And his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart."

armaborealis

Lots of other thoughts on this particular DoM here:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=17872.msg144761#msg144761

Those with more schooling on the matter could perhaps write something definitive for TIPS and/or the newsletter and put the issue to rest!   ;)
Rifleman - 1 July 2012 - Gaston, SC
KD Qual - 27 September 2014 - Elberton, GA