News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Myakka City, FL - Sept 13-14, 2017

Started by Mr Pete, September 15, 2014, 04:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Pete

Thanks to Manatee Gun and Archery Club for allowing us to host an Appleseed!

We had hearty souls show up to get pounded by the sun!  90+ degrees...no cover...no problem.  The amazing thing to me is that we had everybody (plus one walk on) shoot with NO drop-outs or no-shows.  People never cease to amaze me.

More details to follow but I was more impressed than ever by our youth.  I have hope that our posterity will fight the good fight because of what I saw this weekend.  We had a 8 Boy Scouts show up (some shooting for the first time!).  While they were all memorable Andy will become an Appleseed legend.  At only 10 years old his focus and skill blew my mind.  He could repeat back everything we threw at him.  By the end he was reminding the rest of the group word for word the  Steady Hold Factors and 6 steps!  I wish the Scouts could have been there for day 2 but they had other obligations.

That isn't the least of it.  On Day 2 Jeffrey stuck it out.  Yes he was tired, sun burnt (think lobster) and he had camped out there with Dad...but he did it.  Page in a similar situation was killing it with his iron sights.  He learned valuable lessons (wrong-way sight adjustments) but he never complained, always threw himself at it and is a fine young man.  Iris had equipment trouble galore.  I think she swapped out rifles 4 times?  In the end she slogged out day 2 with her AR, hit a high of 141(?) and undeniably qualified at 300 on her final Red Coat.  Most adults couldn't have done it - and she beat Dad!

The short version was that I go to see
Friends: the Boy Scouts
Families:  John and Iris, Jeff and Chris who camped out
Kirk, Page (well he might as well have been) Jim
Moses who 7th stepped his sister Teresa
Appleseed Family:  Henry and Dwight

For a weekend we were that group of original Americans who had spirit, wisdom, a sense of community and the guts to do something with our freedom.

-Peter

ps.  Somebody pass the Aloe...
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

308LIBERTY

Photos! - What a great group of Patriots! Despite having very little shade, hot temperatures and rain, they showed incredible tenacity, never complained and even seemed to enjoy the history more than any group I've had the pleasure of working with. Huzzah!
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke