News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

One Man's War

Started by jmdavis, September 10, 2014, 11:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmdavis

http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Hinsons-One-Man-Civil-Sniper/dp/1589806409

I'm from Tennessee. My ancestors fought in the Civil War.  I've only been to the area described in the book one time, but from my time in TN and growing up in VA, it is a terrain that I can see.

The story of Jack Hinson is the story of one man old at the time, fighting to right a wrong that was so grievous a war had to be waged.

Check out the preview and look for the various Newspaper articles on Hinson and his rifle.

Mike
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Guntuckian

It's a great read.  I bought my copy when it first came out.

--gb
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

dond

I live in the area where this occurred and it is a fascinating story. I included his story in a KD held at Puryear, TN over Labor day weekend. I also told a few other stories which are not usually given at our events. They are listed in the IAAR.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

jmdavis

Thanks Don, I will check them out.

One of the stories that I have used in VA is that of the seizure of the powder at Williamsburg on the night of April 20th, 1775.

When he heard of it. Patrick Henry, then a Colonel of the Hanover Militia, formed the Militia and Marched on the Colonial Capital in Williamsburg to arrest the Royal Governor, Lord Dunmore.

Henry knew what was coming. Everyone has heard the famous line of his speech at the 2nd Virginia Convention. But most have never heard one of the speeches most prophetic lines. Almost before Concord and Lexington and a full month before the seizure of the powder at  Williamsburg by Royal Marines.

"The next gale from the North will bring to our ears the resounding clash of arms. Our Brethren are already in the field. Why stand we here idle."

In the end Henry was convinced by other Virginians to settle for repayment in the form of a check from the Royal Echequer for 320 pounds Sterling.  Soon, Dunmore would leave Williamsburg for the safety of a Royal Navy Ship. Never to return to the capitol.

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."

Guntuckian

Jack Hinson did not use a rack grade rifle, either.  He commissioned a special rifle to be made.  He also carefully tested and improved his ammo.  He also took advantage of a special part of the river known as Towhead Chute, where steamships would slow to a crawl.

If made into a movie, it would be better than The Patriot, as the events actually happened.  A father who has his innocent sons executed, and their heads impaled on the front gate  can be a determined rifleman!

--gb
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

jmdavis

I agree that it would make a great movie. The problem is that it would defy the narrative that Hollywood wants to portray. They could not allow that brand of Heresy.

The Wolfhound

Read it a couple of years ago.  Great book!  I agree the narrative would not fit Hollywood.  After a change of administration, it may be PC to hate the military again and the paradigm will shift again.