News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Camp Atterbury, IN Appleseed Known Distance October 18-19, 2014

Started by Hop, September 03, 2014, 01:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hop

W00t!  Another KD at Atterbury!  Bro-in-law & I are signed up.  I'm always working on dragging a few shooting buddies there too.

Who's going?  Who's working?

brianheeter

I'll be there holding the targets!

Make sure that if you are a shooter or "merely" a worker bringing a rifle along that you get your personal and rifle info submitted.  And don't forget to read the Atterbury instructions and put an X next to where it says, "I got it."  You can find the instructions and the info sheet here:

http://www.appleseedusa.org/smf/index.php?topic=35705.0

Do it or you might not get in the gate.  I know the guy who compiles the gate list and he's one cranky SOB!

C ya,

brian
(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

Hop

""merely" a worker" = no way.  Volunteer target pit workers are like Gods.  I'd buy them all Chinese buffet passes if I could.

Hop

Bump!  I still see 32 tickets for sale and not many people talking up this shoot. 

Uncle Davey

Those who stay will be champions. Those who persist will be riflemen.

SPQR

I actually thought about having this shoot capped at 20. It's less of a drain on our resources. The over under on a open shoot at CAJMTC is 13. The most enlightening shoot I've bossed was just 8 folks.

The only thing that surprises me is that more instructors haven't signed up. If you read the forums a year ago KD was dead and it was going to take all hands and the cook to revive it. Oddly we had been active doing multiple shoots at CAJMTC for a few years at that point. Fast forward and now KD is apparently passé.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Big John

I'm afraid I'll embarrass myself and not shoot well and be intimidated by the awesomeness of the Indiana Instructor Core.  :)

Uncle Davey

I'm going, have to borrow an AR. I wouldn't dream of missing a whole day in the trenches running targets up and down.

SPQR

Quote from: Big John on September 10, 2014, 01:41:09 AM
I'm afraid I'll embarrass myself and not shoot well and be intimidated by the awesomeness of the Indiana Instructor Core.  :)

You probably will be. Your awesomeness will be limited by it. Then you'll do what you were doing only awesomer then you'll truly feel like one of us.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

Uncle Davey

greyfox

I'd be at Atterbury also, but had already committed to instruct at an Appleseed same weekend in Niles, Michigan with Steel Thunder. I live here just south of the Indiana/Michigan border and hope to work some with the good folks in Michigan. My neck of the woods needs more Appleseeds. 

That said, the Camp Atterbury KD will be absolutely PROFOUND. Sign up today!

Loren .   

Hop

Quote from: Uncle Davey on September 10, 2014, 07:50:11 AM
I'm going, have to borrow an AR. I wouldn't dream of missing a whole day in the trenches running targets up and down.

Extra AR's I have.  Let me know if you would like to try one.  I think I'll make life difficult for myself this time and try the M1A again.  It broke the 1st time I took it to CAJMTC.

Rayne

QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

grunt soldier

I'm definitely in on Sunday. As of right now my work is pulling our vacation days because we are so short so Saturday isn't a sure thing for me yet.
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

Uncle Davey

Wild Deuce

I'm free and plan on being there ... I'm just holding out to see if instructors will be needed and see if there are slots (and funds) available to attend as a shooter. I can't recall the last time I attended any Appleseed as a shooter and I can't recall the last time I put rounds downrange at Atterbury with my own iron (it's been a few shoots ago).

Hop

My thread on INGO is getting some activity.  I hope we get a few more shooters signed up.  Can't wait!!!

Big John

Quote from: SPQR on September 10, 2014, 09:06:32 AM
Quote from: Big John on September 10, 2014, 01:41:09 AM

You probably will be. Your awesomeness will be limited by it. Then you'll do what you were doing only awesomer then you'll truly feel like one of us.

I was able to hang with SQPR for the rest of my mag this weekend once I noticed him shooting standing at 300.

I feel awesomer.

Hop

So I might drag a buddy to Atterbury but will be buying his ticket.  Are there any additional range fees to worry about this time?  Just wondering if it's included or not because the cost went up from $60 to $90.

He's a 1st timer but I'll get him sorted out & kitted up before hand.

AuntieBellum

Range fees are not included. Appleseed changed it's prices this year to differentiate KD events from 25 meter events due to the additional costs and labor associated with those events.
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

smiledochill

I verbally announced this event to the guys in my NRA basic rifle and shotgun instructor class yesterday.  I got assigned the "other shooting opportunities" to present as a mock lessen.  It spurred a couple conversations that I think resulted in a couple guys that are seriously looking into it.  Now if their signing up sells out the event before I get my butt in gear to arrange going I'll only have myself to blame.   O0

Hop

Get it in gear Doc!  I want to see you score a 40/40!  ^^^ the man shot 4 out of 4 KD rifleman score last time I was there with him.   :bow:

brianheeter

If you haven't already submitted your personal and rifle info get it done.  Don't be left out standing at the gate because you put it off until it was too late.

C ya,

brian
(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

slim

It's looking more and more like you guys have this taken care of and also more and more like they're going to need a  -:) at Newark, OH that weekend. I'm not 100% out yet but I'll probably have to miss this one.

Hopefully someone's there with a pimp robe to post selfies.

Piston556

Greetings!

I attended last year and had a great time and a wonderful learning experience. I'm signed up and ready to go for this year's event.

The one question I have is, does anyone know the makeup of the attendee's for this year's event? Last year there were quite a few "Seasoned" Appleseeder's that were on the firing line and being a novice at LD I had a hard time keeping up. The instructors were fantastic in trying to lend help to keep the shoot going and still allowing me to learn as the event progressed but after a few "Rookie" mistakes with sight adjustments I fell well behind and was just sending lead down range.

By knowing the makeup of the shooters experience, I can devise a plan to keep up and not fall behind and hold the rest of the shooters back. It would be great to get in as many AQT's as possible.

Thanks, and I look forward to seeing everyone in a few weeks!

Hop

You won't be alone.  I just signed up a buddy that's never been to an Appleseed & I think there's a couple more 1st time KD shooters attending from INGO. 

I had the buddy get a zero and we've shot out to 275 yards using his RDS & flip2side 3x.  He's got a decent idea of what to expect.

Rayne

QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

Piston556

I've been known NOT to be the sharpest tool in the shed. Amazing I made it to mid-life.

My problem stems from a lack of mathmatics fundamentals and multi-tiered computations. A prime example is converting inches to MOA using a known distance, then converting that to "Click adjustments" for iron sights or electronics etc. Too many levels for me to get through and remember. Then do it for windage too.

And after I shoot and change distances, I have to retrace my steps from where I've been to be on target. I need a scope that can do all this for me but unfortunately I don't have the 10K for such a thing.

I'm just glad to be out there with like minded individuals having fun.

SPQR

You don't need 10k. You need about three fifty and a phone call to AA Optics.

It's called a Ballistic Compensated Reticule. It will have the trajectory graduations on the scope, you shoot the correct ammo, and the reticule does it for you.

The flip side is to use Battle Sight Zero on the appropriate sight system.

What you need is not education or money. You need experience. You are coming to the right place.

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

Piston556

Thanks SPQR for the encouragement and the info. I'll be sure to check them out. If the eyes were a little better I'd try the iron sights for the KD but age is catching up with me real fast!