News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Scope Magnification

Started by cyclingbob, September 01, 2014, 04:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guntuckian

Quote from: SPQR on September 04, 2014, 08:44:59 PM
Bob, do exactly what Yellowhousejake said.

Excellent advice.  This scope also has a side parallax adjustment.  In addition to YHJ's advice, set the parallax for the distance you are shooting.  It is adjustable from 7 yards to infinity.   Setting it for the distance you are shooting will ensure that the reticle and the target will be in the same focal plane.  This reduces the amount of blurring of the target, and optimizes the eye relief.  Be sure to focus both optically and mentally on the center of the reticle, not the target.

If you find the 400 yard silhouette is a little small, you can go up to 4x.  But, try to always use the same power for sighting in and shooting for all silhouette size targets.  If you were to try to use different powers, you would likely find that your zero changes when set for different powers.  If 3x works for you, then that is the most repeatable, being at the bottom of the scope power range.

--gb
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

cyclingbob

Thanks to all who have posted. I appreciate everyone's time. Very helpful.

At 3x the reticle pretty much covered up the one inch square on the 25 meter drill target.  I attribute that to 67 year old eyes that need contacts for distance.  When I switched to 4x my reaction was "I like this..."  So 4x it is. So I am down from 8x and more comfortable with the movement.

My original post said:
"I know I am focusing on the reticle and not the target..."
I should have said "mental focus" per the six steps to firing the shot.

But the post reminded me to  recheck the reticle was "in focus" as posted by Aftermath,  Agrivere and "in focus" steps by YHJ. These steps took me about an hour but worth the effort. Reticle is crystal clear.

So for the shoot I am emphasizing  "Focus on the center of the reticle, always" per YHJ. I keep trying to remind myself that I can't hit what I can't see. Also working on reset (hold the trigger back).  My accuracy improves dramatically when I remember to include these steps with the others in "fire the shot."

Again I am grateful for everyone's help.

Bob

Agrivere

Quote from: cyclingbob on September 08, 2014, 04:58:48 PM
So for the shoot I am emphasizing  "Focus on the center of the reticle, always" per YHJ. I keep trying to remind myself that I can't hit what I can't see.

Sounds to me like you're heading in the right direction, and YHJ's suggestions are outstanding.  Note, though, that there's only one step to firing a shot that has anything to do with being able to see the target, and that's getting your sight picture.

Honestly being able to see the target clearly is both the greatest benefit of using a scope, and also it's greatest curse.  You can absolutely hit what you can't see.

I shot a CMP M1 Carbine match this past weekend, and the aperture is too large to give much if any focus benefit, so pretty much all day I was shooting at a very fuzzy grey blob.  Truth is it didn't really make much difference.  Once you establish your Natural Point of Aim (this is critically important), you can align your NPA with a fuzzy grey blob just as easily as you can align it with a crisp, clear target.  Once you've got your NPA aligned with the target, you could shoot it with your eyes closed over and over again (note, I'm not recommending this, but as a mental process it's a useful thought exercise).

The biggest danger to using a scope is that it makes it so, so easy to "cheat" yourself and nudge the reticle over to the center of the target instead of shifting or establishing your NPA.  The crystal clear scope vision makes it oh so tempting to think you've found your natural point of aim when in fact you're really in the "kinda sorta close but not quite there" neighborhood.  I learned this the hard way. :)

Lately I've been reading David Tubb's book called "Highpower Rifle", and I will share a couple of quotes from his book (if you don't know who he is, he is arguably the greatest Highpower rifle shooter ever, with over 35 national titles).  While Highpower Rifle is not Appleseed, the positions and shooting elements are virtually identical.

QuoteTake into mind that Highpower rifle is not a seeing contest, it's a shooting contest...The challenge, therefore, is not to see the target, but to see the sight.  I prefer to see everything clearly, but it truly does not matter what the target looks like...

QuoteShooting a rifle well requires mastery and execution of a combination of several skills; however there is none that is of more importance than natural point of aim (npa).  It is your understanding, pursuit, and recognition of natural point of aim that will largely determine your success as a shooter.

There is in my opinion no better place I've ever been to learn natural point of aim than Appleseed.  If you can REALLY get that part down, you don't really even need to see the target at all to hit it.  As proof of this, I got a nice CMP achievement badge on Saturday, shooting all day at a fuzzy grey blob that I could barely see most of the time.
"The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world... The first step � in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come � is to teach men to shoot." -Theodore Roosevelt

cyclingbob

Finally getting around to a big thank you to all who responded.  A huge help and very interesting comments.
My original post "Scope Magnification" asked for recommendations on setting scope magnification.
I settled on setting magnification at 4 with my BSA Sweet 22 mounted on a Ruger 1022 Target.

We had a one day shoot with 4 AQTs at North Berwick Rod & Gun September 13, 2014.

The first AQT I did not show up for. Geez.  Who was that masked man? Butterflies is my excuse.
Second AQT 196. Well we are running out of time Bob, no pressure.
Third AQT  211. Whew.
Fourth AQT  215.

This was my third Appleseed.

This September, 2015 at North Berwick Rod & Gun will be shooting a Benjamin Marauder .177 Precharged Pneumatic Pellet rifle with the Shoot Bosses permission. Thank you TOG.

Thanks to all for responding to my questions. I will continue to enjoy the Appleseed learning experience.

Cheers,

Bob

DrRichP

Congratulations on scoring Rifleman Bob! I bet you're going to look great in an orange hat. ;)
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

Vinnie

I shoot with the magnification cranked up in the 10x to 12x range on the 25m AQT.  The target is so huge it feels like I am cheating  ^-^

Johnnyappleseed

Quote from: Vinnie on August 07, 2015, 02:16:39 PM
I shoot with the magnification cranked up in the 10x to 12x range on the 25m AQT.  The target is so huge it feels like I am cheating  ^-^

guess that would make for a good npoa drill since every heartbeat changes the sight picture  :)
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

jmdavis

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on August 09, 2015, 11:22:17 AM

guess that would make for a good npoa drill since every heartbeat changes the sight picture  :)

If you have a good position and npa, it will come back to the same spot between beats. Without the shooting coat, I have a 9 ring heartbeat at 200 yards (call it 2 MOA). But between beats it goes back to center.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Vinnie

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on August 09, 2015, 11:22:17 AM

guess that would make for a good npoa drill since every heartbeat changes the sight picture :)

I definitely get heartbeat bounce in standing... but, just like shooting at the bottom of the breath you have to time the heartbeats.  THU-THUMP, THU-THUMP, Boom!      THU-THUMP, THU-THUMP, Boom!
The crosshairs keep falling back in the same place, assuming you've got a very relaxed NPOA... there is certainly no reason to have to adjust it after each heartbeat.

The Old Guide

cyclingbob,

I agree with the yellowhousejake post. I'm looking forward to seeing you at North Berwick this weekend. Bring a friend. We have 10 pre-regs and could take six more.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

The Old Guide

Well, Cycling Bob made rifleman with that Benjamin. What an exotic rifle with the large scuba diving tank attached. Nine .22s banging away and one rifle going "boink"! When Bob is dialed in there he can shoot dime size groups. He made Rifleman with that rifle. The second day he made Rifleman about four more times with his beautiful 10-22.

What a great group of ten shooters. I'll refer to them as the Sling Believers. We had some novices, but everybody improved. The groups tightened and there were 28 (count em) twenty eight rifleman targets fired. Six shooters made or recalled for riflemen. Everybody was knocking on the door. One man made rifleman let handed with a right handed CZ bolt action on the rapid fire AQT!. That's coordination. That CZ had a 28 inch barrel, the longest .22 barrel and the longest sight radius I have ever seen.

Formal AARs to follow, but these folks are now the Sling Believers. Recruited a new Orange Hat too. He'll be signing up here shortly.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13