News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

238 Years Ago Today, Timothy Murphy - ct.

Started by The Old Guide, October 07, 2015, 03:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Old Guide

Two hundred and thirty eight years ago today, at the Battle of Saratoga above Albany, New York, the Continental Army stood against the Redcoats who had come swarming down out of Quebec.
The Redcoats wanted do go down the Hudson River and divide the colonies in two in order to pick off all thirteen colonies, one at a time. General Arnold of the Continental Army called on Daniel Morgan.
Daniel Morgan had the only rifle company in America. Their accuracy was unparalleled. General Arnold asked Captain Morgan to send up his best Rifleman. He sent Timothy Murphy.
General Simon Fraser of the Redcoats was riding back and forth in front of his troops to fire them up for the attack. General Arnold said to Tim, "Yonder on that hill is General Simon Fraser. I have the greatest respect for that man, but he is worth an entire regiment. It is necessary that he must die. Do your duty."
Murphy's fatal shot, said to have been from roughly 300 yards, mortally wounded General Simon Fraser. Gen. Fraser said, I saw the man who shot me. He had a rifle.
Murphy then set his sights on General Burgoyne's Aide-de-Camp., Sir Frances Clarke. Clarke had galloped onto the field with Burgoyne's order to retreat. Murphy fired at Sir Clarke twice, the second shot killing the British officer before he fell from his stirrups.
The next day General Fraser succumbed to his wound. A Rifleman changed the course of history. Fraser had been leading a recon in force against the colonists. As a result of his death, the recon failed and ultimately led to the British surrender.

This weekend at Monmouth, Maine we will make more Riflemen to carry on the heritage of our forefathers.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13