News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Patriots' Day

Started by Sadman, August 21, 2014, 10:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sadman

I would like to see April 19th as Patriots' Day in North Carolina.  With this goal in mind, I have been working with my county commissioner to have Patriots' Day recognized in my county as a first step in that goal.  If I can get it to happen in my home county then maybe some of you would be willing to take up the "call" and get the same thing to happen in other counties in NC.  If we are successful in several counties, we could use that good work and ask our representatives to do the same for the entire state.  Probably just the silly thoughts of a delusional middle age guy....

Regardless, if you are willing, I would be grateful for your advice or participation in this endeavor.  I know nothing about how to play this game but I'm going to try and swing the bat, so to speak.  If you can help me hit a curve ball, I'd love your input!

Here is my first draft of the resolution for my county.  You can add comments directly to the document or I'll take your feedback here on the forum.  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i_o_Np_dLPQQCJjhUeeWtjrYSvaBs31eLDRKSL4owZk/edit

Thanks for your time.

Sadman

Moylan

Patrick,

I'm afraid I don't know how to comment on online documents, so I've got two minor suggestions.  First, in the second to last paragraph, change "alter" for "altar."  Second, in the last paragraph, the word "great" appears twice.  Obviously this is simply a matter of taste, but for me that's once too many. 

I think this is a great idea.  I don't know too much about the general process for trying to bring about these special days, but it does seem obvious that Patriot's Day should be noted and celebrated.  Maybe you could add something in about solidarity with our Yankee brethren or something, in the last paragraph.  I mean that seriously--though I probably wouldn't call them Yankees in the proclamation itself--something like how the people of the colonies were brought together as a result of this awful day to struggle together for liberty and, eventually, union.  Something like that.  Or not.  Maybe it's not relevant.  Just a thought.
The chief mark of the Declaration of Independence is the theory of equality.  It is the pure classic conception that no man must aspire to be anything more than a citizen, and that no man should endure to be anything less. 

--GK Chesterton

I believe in liberty very much as Jefferson did, allowing for the fact that a hundred years of history and experience have taught me to believe a little more than he did in original sin.

--also GK Chesterton

Unbridled Liberty

This is what I have sent to our governor the last two years. He has yet to adopt it but I will send again for next year.

http://governor.ky.gov/Lists/Proclamations/form.aspx

QuotePurpose of Proclamation
That Kentuckians may be encouraged to learn of the courage and sacrifices of the founding generation, and of the rich heritage of liberty handed down to us from Kentuckians of old.

Draft Language of Proclamation
WHEREAS, the events of April 19, 1775 brought forth our nation; and
WHEREAS, many Americans today are sadly unaware of the sacrifices and courage of the Patriots of Lexington, Massachusetts and surrounding towns as they stood together against the Tyrants; and
WHEREAS, those Patriots of old prevented the seizure of their firearms and provisions; and
WHEREAS, the Kentucky city of Lexington was named in honor of those Patriots who stood for liberty in Lexington Massachusetts; and
WHEREAS, battles of the Revolutionary War were fought on Kentucky soil; and
WHEREAS, Kentuckians fought and gave their lives in our nations bloody struggles to secure our freedom and liberty; and
WHEREAS, today's Kentucky citizens would benefit from learning of and honoring the sacrifices of those patriots of old.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, STEVE BESHEAR, Governor of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, do hereby recognize April, 2014 as
PATRIOT HISTORY AND HERITAGE RECOGNITION MONTH
throughout the Commonwealth of Kentucky, and urge all citizens to recognize this observance.

In testimony whereof, I have caused
the Great Seal of the Commonwealth to be
hereunto affixed GIVEN under my
hand at Frankfort this __________
day of _______ Two-Thousand Fourteen

Steve Beshear,
Governor

QuoteAdditional Comments:
The Revolutionary War Veterans Association is a 501(c)3 non-profit incorporated in Morehead, KY and is dedicated to honoring the founding generation and educating today's American citizens of the courage and sacrifices of those patriots.
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Sadman

Quote from: Moylan on August 25, 2014, 05:58:16 PM
Patrick,

I'm afraid I don't know how to comment on online documents, so I've got two minor suggestions.  First, in the second to last paragraph, change "alter" for "altar."  Second, in the last paragraph, the word "great" appears twice.  Obviously this is simply a matter of taste, but for me that's once too many. 

I think this is a great idea.  I don't know too much about the general process for trying to bring about these special days, but it does seem obvious that Patriot's Day should be noted and celebrated.  Maybe you could add something in about solidarity with our Yankee brethren or something, in the last paragraph.  I mean that seriously--though I probably wouldn't call them Yankees in the proclamation itself--something like how the people of the colonies were brought together as a result of this awful day to struggle together for liberty and, eventually, union.  Something like that.  Or not.  Maybe it's not relevant.  Just a thought.

Well, I altered the alter to altar... I think I got that right and I considered making the first great be darn but I thought that darn great was not too great...

Thanks M!

Sadman

Quote from: Unbridled Liberty on August 25, 2014, 06:24:59 PM
This is what I have sent to our governor that last two years. He has yet to adopt it but I will send again for next year.

http://governor.ky.gov/Lists/Proclamations/form.aspx

QuotePurpose of Proclamation
That Kentuckians may be encouraged to learn of the courage and sacrifices of the founding generation, and of the rich heritage of liberty handed down to us from Kentuckians of old.

Draft Language of Proclamation
WHEREAS, the events of April 19, 1775 brought forth our nation; and
WHEREAS, many Americans today are sadly unaware of the sacrifices and courage of the Patriots of Lexington, Massachusetts and surrounding towns as they stood together against the Tyrants; and
WHEREAS, those Patriots of old prevented the seizure of their firearms and provisions; and
WHEREAS, the Kentucky city of Lexington was named in honor of those Patriots who stood for liberty in Lexington Massachusetts; and
WHEREAS, battles of the Revolutionary War were fought on Kentucky soil; and
WHEREAS, Kentuckians fought and gave their lives in our nations bloody struggles to secure our freedom and liberty; and
WHEREAS, today's Kentucky citizens would benefit from learning of and honoring the sacrifices of those patriots of old.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, STEVE BESHEAR, Governor of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, do hereby recognize April, 2014 as
PATRIOT HISTORY AND HERITAGE RECOGNITION MONTH
throughout the Commonwealth of Kentucky, and urge all citizens to recognize this observance.

In testimony whereof, I have caused
the Great Seal of the Commonwealth to be
hereunto affixed GIVEN under my
hand at Frankfort this __________
day of _______ Two-Thousand Fourteen

Steve Beshear,
Governor

QuoteAdditional Comments:
The Revolutionary War Veterans Association is a 501(c)3 non-profit incorporated in Morehead, KY and is dedicated to honoring the founding generation and educating today's American citizens of the courage and sacrifices of those patriots.

Thank you UL, you've given me a few things to consider there... I'll let you know what success or challenge I encounter when the board of commissioners meet next week.

Fred

Don't forget to contact your statehouse rep and state senator for the proclamation.

I'd think a personal-type phone call to search out the right person, whether in the governor's office, statehouse, or local county folks (some will be interested; some won't - run where you find the interest) would be the way to go.

Email is OK, but is impersonal and very easy to ignore.

Think "work with" your rep on something which "sounds good", "costs nothing", and may resonate with voters.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Sadman

Quote from: Fred on August 27, 2014, 01:20:44 AM

Don't forget to contact your statehouse rep and state senator for the proclamation.

I'd think a personal-type phone call to search out the right person, whether in the governor's office, statehouse, or local county folks (some will be interested; some won't - run where you find the interest) would be the way to go.

Email is OK, but is impersonal and very easy to ignore.

Think "work with" your rep on something which "sounds good", "costs nothing", and may resonate with voters.

Fred,

There is a representative in the house that I think will support a resolution.  She is not my representative but she is (my perception from e-mail exchange) pro liberty.  Her profile is here:  http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/members/viewMember.pl?sChamber=H&nUserID=647  I work about 10 minutes from downtown and after I reach a conclusion for Granville county, I will start to focus some attention in the legislature.

I'll also work with my representative but I wanted to cut my teeth at the local level first and if the "evil plan" happens to work and we have several counties in NC that adopt a similar resolution then we will be well positioned to introduce this in the long session for 2014/2015.

Thanks for the encouragement Fred.  What did you think of the resolution as drafted (I think you have some skills in that area)?

Sadman

Well this has moved slower than I had hoped but it looks like April 19th will be considered as Patriots' Day in Granville County North Carolina if the commissioners vote in the affirmative on Monday.  It is on the consent agenda for Monday's meeting and my commissioner seemed to think it would pass without a problem.

In case you are interested, here is a copy of the agenda for the commissioners:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3CZZdh8sxrsbU9PTVpGdjhlNmpiNlhza3p3TEx6U1BVQmtB/view?usp=sharing

If we are successful on Monday, I'll write down a few notes about what I thought helped to make it happen and share them with you.  Are there any other instructors out there in NC who would be willing to take a resolution like this to your county commissioners?  If we could get a few more counties under our belt it might make a request to the state legislature easier.

Let me know if you are willing to try because I'm willing to help ya if you want!!!

Wish me luck on Monday night, I hope to report success by 11:00 PM on Monday evening!

Sadman

Sadman

Well I'm glad to announce that April 19th will be recognized as Patriots' Day in Granville County, North Carolina!!!  A copy of the commemoration can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i_o_Np_dLPQQCJjhUeeWtjrYSvaBs31eLDRKSL4owZk

How did I get this done?
First, I had to establish a relationship with my county commissioner.  I invested several hours of time in this relationship.

Second, I asked my commissioner to review the proposal before I ever brought it to the commissioners.  I asked for his advice and guidance.

Third, I went to the county commissioner's meeting and distributed a copy of the proclamation and asked them to consider passing the resolution in a future meeting.

Fourth, I followed up with my commissioner.  He let me know that the resolution would be on the consent agenda and it was passed without objection!

What is the key?  Show up, ask, and then follow up.  I think those are the keys to success for this particular endeavor.  I'd really like to have some partners in crime to do the same in several other counties in the state.  It would make the conversation with the state legislature even easier if we could point to several counties that had already passed a similar resolution!!!

Anybody willing?  I'm willing to help!!!

ThePoet

Fred

Quote from: ThePoet on November 03, 2014, 11:03:54 PM
Well done, Sadman!

Ditto!

In prep for the upcoming AHOD next April 18/19, this needs to become an item on the list of every volunteer (hint, hint!)...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Grathlong

Yeh, Yeh, Yeh "You done good old man."  ;D  ;)