News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Juniors bullseye match in Cherokee county, Oct 11

Started by freedomzxcv, August 10, 2014, 04:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freedomzxcv

A youth rimfire match is being planned for October 11 in Cherokee county. Some corporate sponsorship has already been lined up. A vendor's row is being set up and Appleseed should be there. I've volunteered to be a RO and would also like to help promote Project Appleseed.

The line will have around twenty stations, depending on the number of ROs available. There will three divisions based on skill classification and two classes, one for iron sights and one for optics. Match fees will be donated to the family of the member of a local gun forum who died young, and left behind his wife and two small children.

I would be glad to help set up the table and work behind it when I'm not needed on the line. My young daughter is a blue hat and will also help however she can. Beyond wanting to do it, I'm not sure what to do next. Even if no one is available for help, I would still like to pass out some flyers and other promo materials to parents at the event.
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - CS Lewis

Guardian

Freedomzxcv,

I'm in Cobb Co., but I'm already scheduled to SB an event in Summerville that same weekend. Where in Cherokee Co. is the event you referenced? We've got several instructors in the area that may be available that weekend to assist you. I've got some promotional materials that can be used, so let me know.

Excellent job looking for opportunities to spread the message! We're here to help.

freedomzxcv

It will be near Woodstock, the location is locked in but I don't know exactly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've exchanged several PMs with the organizer and he seems very on top of things. He has shot in many national marksmanship events and helped plan several smaller ones. The plan is to have a vendors row, similar to Camp Perry, and to recreate the atmosphere present at larger events.

Loaner rifles will be available and ammo is being donated. Efforts will be made to promote it outside of the normal gun community. One of the goals is for a parent to show up with a child and be able to participate without needing anything else. Depending on the level, shooters could either shoot the entire COF from a rest, three position, or three position with transitions. He wants the experienced and the inexperienced to both be able to have a safe, fun day.

It sounds like a great way to get out message out to a group that only needs to hear of our program existing to get involved.
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - CS Lewis

Guardian

Let me know as things firm up and we'll see what we need to do.

freedomzxcv

freedomzxcv

The match is up at practiscore @https://clubs.practiscore.com/jon-skinner-inaugural-rimfire-match/register. The match organizer can be reached @ georgia.jr.shooters@gmail.com.

Josh is wanting 25 or so volunteers to be range officers. Any that are interested can email him and be put on the list for updates. If a few more Appleseeders volunteered we could rotate from the line to our table throughout the day. The match is scheduled from 9am to 3pm on October 11.

At minimum the winners of the two divisions will win a new rifle. The COF is similar to what we teach at Appleseed. If you have any kids under 16 who would like to show off what they learned, bring them along.

Guardian

I sent an email to the locals. Hopefully someone is available that weekend.

freedomzxcv

Thanks Guardian. I'll either see you in Elberton, Macon or both.

freedomzxcv

I'll be at both, just didn't know if you would be.

Guardian

freedomzxcv

Got word yesterday it been delayed until November. I reached out to him yesterday before I started to arrange getting some materials for this in Elberton. He said me and him were the only volunteers that committed to being there. I'm assuming, at this point, that it won't happen.

I'll leave this up for now, deleting it in a day or two.