News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New guy from Montgomery & need some advice and help!

Started by Photonic, August 01, 2014, 03:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Photonic

27 years old!

New to shooting, poor marksmanship but not new to "guns". that might sound odd. Until it comes to place a round on a target I am highly considerate and can talk all day ...that bothers me.

I am here because I'm signed up for my first appleseed the last weekend of august!! As a shooter I have almost zip in experience. I want to get into IDPA and just increase my marksmanship.

I own an FNS9, mark II Browning Hi power, PS90, Ruger 10/22 and a winchester Model 72 which used to be my grandfathers. I hoard ammo, read way too much ..I could debate about terminal ballistics all day long. (too much reading ..not enough doing)

but as you can see ..3 out of 5 of my weapons all use fixed sights. I play with them but shamefully Ive never had to zero a weapon or adjust sights. the PS90 is a new addition once I shot my friends ps90. And my Ruger 10/22 is a relic from when I was 15.

Im going into this believing I know nothing, Because I don't, But I don't want to use the 10/22 since Ill need to at least add a 4X fixed scope or Aperture irons and a sling with sling mounts. I have no idea how to use a sling ... Or even set one up and I also dont pretend to get a riflemans patch ..but I don't think I Want to fumble with the magazine release on the 10/22 OR the ps90 ..

My eye sight is terrible ATM. I have bad astigmatism so if I am going to do this ..I think a Scope is best but that is why I really wanted to find a 795 liberty training rifle ..since I was convinced it would be the best ergonomic rifle with the best Irons for the $$$

So I am thinking of buying a Marlin 795 with swivels and just attaching a sling and hopefully someone can help me with my Irons and zero on the day of my appleseed. (Since Id love to have the Appleseed Liberty training rifle ...it would be ideal ..but it is all sold out and cant find it anywhere ..)

I just can't seem to find people who want to go shooting, and Im the kind of guy who doesn't like to do things by himself ... I like sharing what I do with other people and it has taken me a while to get myself out of the house and learn more.

if you are around the area and want to just go shooting this month and help someone eager to learn I would love to meet more people and give some of my anxieties a rest!

Maximum Ordinate

Welcome, P!

I'm up in the Huntsville area, but will be at the Columbiana shoot next weekend and the Guntersville clinic at the end of the month.  That's about an hour from you.

My best advice for you is to come on out with 200-300 rounds of ammo!  We have folks with a wide range of skill levels and knowledge that attend.  It sounds like you have a great attitude about learning new things - and that's the most important thin you can bring to a Project Appleseed weekend.  :)

I see a couple of options:

1.  Bring your Ruger to the clinic.  We can do some field-expedient methods to get a sling on your rifle.  If your equipment is holding you back, we can swap you to a loaner rifle so you can continue to learn.

2.  Start with and use a loaner.  A couple are normally available.  This would keep you consistent through the weekend and give you an idea of what you would want to do with your own Ruger or other future rifle.   

Either option works, but come on out!  Columbiana is a great range and the crew down there is awesome. 

Here's a link to the information page for Alabama clinics & how to register:  Alabama Events

-Rusty

P.S.  PM inbound.
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

DrRichP

Hi Photonic,

Welcome. I'm glad you're coming to Appleseed!

Your Ruger 10/22  (the relic from when you were 15) is a FANTASTIC rifle. The Marlin 795 LTR is also a great rifle; however, for less than the price of an Marlin 795 LTR you can fix up your 10/22 to fit all your needs.

If your eyes are less than ideal, I would recommend a scope. Ruger 10/22's come with a weaver rail. If you've lost yours they can be had pretty inexpensively. For a scope that will meet your needs, but won't break the bank, I would recommend going to Wally World and getting a CenterPoint 3-9×32. It is reasonably priced, good quality and comes with scope rings. I get them off Amazon.com for ~$40.00.

As far as the magazine release, I believe yours may have had the flat magazine release. Let me know if I am wrong. Since your rifle was made, they have changed to a mag release that has a lever that hangs down. If your interested in a newer stock Ruger magazine release that hangs down, let me know, I have several laying around as I don't use them. There are also a ton of options for extended magazine releases. I personally use the ones that wrap around the trigger guard (about $20-$25).

Beyond those 2 items, and a sling, your relic 10/22 is ready to go. Now we just need to get the shooter behind the rifle going.

Best of luck to you!

DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

SureShotSpartan

Welcome!

I look forward to seeing you in Guntersville at the end of the month. 
Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams

Photonic

Thanks everyone! I was afraid I was rambling after some beers! (Im on second shift till monday ;))

I have plenty of .22 ammo. Most of it is remington yellowjacket that I snagged and tucked away a few years ago (when I could still find it). But I should have 2-300 rounds of Remington thunderbolt I can bring =D.

Ill bring my .22 case incase anyone would like to shoot more or needs ammo.

Also I have seen videos of Appleseed I believe doing Pistol training?

I would be highly interested in this ... Is this a thing or am I misremembering?

Maximum Ordinate

Good morning!

Nope, you're not misremembering.  It's called Appleseed Pistol Clinic.  The best way I can describe it is that Appleseed Pistol Clinic is in beta-testing.  A few folks outside of the development team in Ramseur, NC have run them.

We're thinking about that for 2015 in Alabama.  Keep an eye on the schedule.  :)

-Rusty
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.