News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Newark, Ohio July 19 & 20, 2014 AAR

Started by Corvette, July 21, 2014, 11:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvette

What a fantastic shoot!  Full AAR to follow but in case somebody else can't wait to post pictures, I wanted to get a placeholder AAR started.

More to follow.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Corvette

What an amazing shoot!  Even though it started with a light rain on Friday night and Saturday morning, we had 13 folks show up bright and early on Saturday morning ready to embark on a great weekend of marksmanship training and heritage.

There were some friends including Garret who I have had the pleasure of working Buckeye Firearms booths with and John who was at the last Newark shoot where a busted extractor ruined his day. We had father/daughter, big brother/little brother and husband/wife/brother-in-law groups that also joined us.

After a welcome and the safety brief, we started Saturday with the Red Coat.  Results were mixed, we had just over half competent at 100yds, but not much else beyond that.  This was our starting point, but as you will see, not our ending point.

Instruction began with everyone engaged.  prone steady hold was presented, followed by the six steps and a trigger control drill. NPOA was presented and before we knew it, it was lunch time. The first strike was delivered during lunch, followed by more drills, seated and off hand steady hold. The second strike was delivered during the afternoon break and day ended with a practice AQT and a Red Coat.

The improvement was impressive.  Out of 13 shooters, we had 10 at 100, 3 at 200 and 300, 2 at 400 and 5 people joined Daniel Morgan. Huge improvement!  The day ended with the Third Strike and Saturday came to a close.

Sunday dawned overcast and rainy.  We had a few folks that could not return but we pressed on.  After a couple of NPOA and Rifleman's cadence drills and carding the sights, we were into the AQT grind.  On our first AQT, we made our first Rifleman. Chase stepped up with a solid 223.  On the next AQT Andy shot the magic 210 and got not only his patch but some holy water from the North Bridge. It is interesting that just moments after Andy's baptism, the sun came out for the first time all weekend.  I guess Issac Davis was pleased.

Both Andy and Chase backed up their scores with a second qualifying score during the day. Then John stepped up and redeemed his struggles last year by shooting a 220.  Everyone improved during the day. We then broke the line into three teams of three shooters.  Each team was anchored by one of our three new Riflemen.  We then shot a team challenge that was big fun.  See photos for winners and losers.

The day was winding down so we shot the final Red Coat. The results show how much progress was made in just two day.  Ten shooters total.  ALL TEN competent at 100, 5 at 200 and 300, 3 at 400, 3 joined Daniel Morgan and we had 1 cleared Red Coat. Most improved though had to go to Jess.  She went from just finding paper Saturday morning to Sunday afternoon, only missing two shots (and just barely missing) on the final Red Coat.  I am confident that with one more Appleseed, she will join the ranks of Ohio Riflewomen.  Jess, please come back and join us in October, I know you can do it.

As a reward for their had work, center fires were brought to the line and we had an hour to bang on steel at 100yds.  The event came to a close with some parting comments including compliments to the entire group on their work.  I also shared with them that this was the safest shoot I have ever worked.  Muzzle control was just outstanding.  Beyond the occasional missed safety, these were the safest shooter group I ever worked with. 

All I can say is Huzzah!!!  Pictures to follow.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

tmox

I had a great time. My Granddaughter, Liberty, was pleased to see her name on some of the flags. She loved the talks. Thank you for a great experience.

Corvette

Glad you joined us, still trying to get pictures posted.

Corvette

Corvette

Photos from a great shoot.

We all worked hard together on Saturday and it paid off in three new riflemen on Sunday.  Congratulations to Chase, Andy and John.  Andy's 210 got him some holy water from the North Bridge. Well done to all our new riflemen. You are men that know quite well what you are about. 

Our team challenge was a three person total distance challenge on a Greencoat.  Each team had 13 rounds between them and total yardage won the day.  Congrats to our winning team with over 3,000 yards from 13 shots.

Corvette