News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Elbert County Gun Club, Elberton, GA, 19-20 July 2014

Started by Guardian, July 20, 2014, 11:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian

What a weekend! I think I say that every time, but I mean it each time. We had seven shooters come out to Elbert County Gun Club (ECGC) to hear the story of April 19, 1775 and learn/polish the fundamentals of marksmanship. These were not Sunshine Patriots, as they didn't see any this weekend. Saturday began in the pouring rain, which continued for most of the day. Fortunately, ECGC provided a shelter over the firing line and we were able to make use of it. However, the water was draining back under the shelter, soaking most of the shooters by the end of the day.

We began with a Redcoat target to benchmark the shooters' marksmanship skills. Then the shooters were doused by the "fire hose" of information. At the end of the day, we'd seen much improvement! The largest groups in the morning were 8 inch (32 MOA). By the evening, the largest groups were consistently 2 inch (8 MOA). The shooters were obviously taking the instruction to heart and implementing it to the best of their ability! Evening Redcoats indicated the improvement, as well. Excellent work, shooters! O0 Agrivere requalified with an AQT score of 226! Huzzah!

The youth were presented the Luther Blanchard patch in appreciation of their participation and then we heard the trials of our forefathers and contemplated the applicability to us today.

Sunday, again, began in the rain. All seven of our patrons returned to endure another day! Their dedication was rewarded by the rain dissipating and holding off the remainder of the day. A Redcoat showed that brain housing groups were working tirelessly through the night processing the information received Saturday. Effective ranges went up when compared to Saturday evening!  ^:)^

We posted a squares target and the shooters verified their zeroes, then we rolled into an AQT while shooters were still fresh. Agrivere improved upon his previous requalification with a score of 242! Persistence. Other shooters saw improvement relative to Saturday's AQT!  :bow: We took a break from AQTs to do some drills intended to familiarize the shooters with magazine changes, as well as provide a little fun and a break from the stress of an AQT. We heard the stories of some Dangerous Old Men, Brave Women, and Gallant Children over lunch and then ran through two more AQTs. Another Rifleman emerged! Ted scored a 220!

We moved ranges to take advantage of the opportunity to shoot 100 yds with our 22s so we could see the effects of gravity on our bullets and that 4 MOA groups at 25 yds remained so, first hand. Following the initial sighter string, sight adjustments were made and a second string was fired. Our IMC worked! ^:)^

We shot a steel dueling post at 50 yds, in turns, to close out the event. What a sight to see everyone make contact! Congratulations shooters!

Following awards presentation and a benediction, we broke down the line and said our goodbyes. However, before departing we were blessed with a new volunteer! Ted joined the ranks of Appleseed Instructors! THANK YOU TED!

Kaylee, you displayed the most improvement I have ever seen one person accomplish in a single Appleseed event!

Lea, you also showed dramatic improvement. Your persistence will take you far! You worked through some equipment issues without succumbing to the frustration that accompanies such things.

Jonathan, DrJohn can sleep peacefully at night knowing you are next door! You are a fine young man and we were as proud of that Redcoat as you were!

Joby, it's easy to see where Lea's persistence comes from. Focus on those steady hold factors and you'll see the payoff at the next event.

Andy, thanks for the feedback on the event. You're down to the polishing stage. Focus on the minute details to get that last bit of improvement you're after and come see us at the KD for the next leap in your journey. I appreciate your patience with the less experienced shooters throughout the weekend!

Scott, you too were able to polish your skills a bit more. Thanks for introducing Kaylee to Appleseed. I urge you to take up that passion you have for learning and disseminating information by becoming an Instructor.

Ted, you're persistence and commitment allowed you to achieve a goal. Thanks for setting a new one with Project Appleseed by taking an Orange Hat! Welcome!

To All,
Remember the sacrifices that others have made on your behalf; but more importantly, take the opportunity to take a stand for your own Liberty! I look forward to seeing each of you at future events. It was truly an honor to spend the weekend in your presence!

Guardian

Guitarzan showing Jonathan how to operate a 10-22.

Transitions

Agrivere's 226!

Posting Sunday's Redcoat

Stage 2 of an AQT

Sight Adjustments and IMC

Guardian

If you've got pics from the weekend, please add them to this thread.

DrJohn

This was one of the most pleasant and satisfying Appleseed events ever. Our gallant students refused to be intimidated by unpleasant weather, equipment issues, fatigue, or frustration. They showed persistence in spades, and were, and are, a source of unending inspiration to the instructors. Thank you for giving us the honor to work with you and to get to know you over a wonderful weekend. You are the very best that this country has. I hope to see you all again very soon.
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

Agrivere

It was a great weekend, and nobody was deterred in the slightest by a little bit of rain!  A very different event for me, as it was the first "small" Appleseed I have been to, which was really great!  Much more intimate, and much more one on one time with the instructors, which undoubtedly helped all of the shooters.  This was the first Appleseed for my daughter Kaylee, and she's already fighting with her sister to see which of them gets to go back to another one, because they both want more!  When you can "grab" the attention of an 11 year old and a 13 year to the point where they want more, you've done something!  Well done to Dr. John, Guardian, and Guitarzan!  Huzzah!

Most of my pictures were of my daughter, so I'll share a few that I took. :)
"The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world... The first step � in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come � is to teach men to shoot." -Theodore Roosevelt

the_mule

Hello everyone, this is Ted.  I didn't take any pictures, but now I kind of wish I had.  I'm just getting started here. 
If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under. ~ RR

guitarzan

What a great Appleseed!!! Cool temps, great students and liberty increased!!!

And there are three young shooters in Georgia who know what the are about.

Congratulations on your fine score Ted!!! 

And my apologies to both Guardian and Ted.  Hopefully I can figure out how to make your picture vertical.
"She is a pretty good gun, I think."
                         John C. Garand

Joby

Thanks all!
It was truly an enjoyable weekend.  The unending patience of Guardian, Dr John, and Guitarzan is most appreciated.  I am so glad my daughter, Lea, was under so much excellent guidance.   The one day in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago and the two days this weekend were the first times I have done shooting like this in 35+ years.

I appreciate the words of encouragement directed at me as I continue to frustrate myself by not following closely enough the advice provided.  I was so irritated with my performance on the last AQT that I did not even look at it to score.  Lea scored it when we got home and found it was my personal best, a 30-point increase over the first morning. (it is not good enough to brag about though)  So some of the instruction took.

Here are a few of the photos I took.