News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Orlando, FL - July 12-13, 2014 - (CFRPC)

Started by Mr Pete, July 15, 2014, 10:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Pete

Summertime in Florida = Hot, Muggy and Wet

It was verging on InfernoSeed territory.  Alas the daily 2 inches of swamp-making rain put a stop to all that.

8 stepped up to drink from the firehose and they were a hearty bunch.  As the shoot boss I get to see everything that goes on and I was more than a little impressed with this bunch.  It is rare that I see new things on the line (I've been around the Appleseed block a bit), but what I saw left me inspired.

We were glad to see Todd return (even without Erica) who 7th stepped and brought out 2 friends (Brad and John).  Neil returned because he felt he needed to maintain his skills (yes these skills are perishable).  Terry and Ryan (Father and Son) spent a good weekend together.  Tom drove up 3 hours to see what this whole Appleseed thing was about.  Ron...I would classify him as one of those Dangerous Old Men we immortalize.

We always joke about Appleseeders being the cream of the crop but in my experience it is the truth.  The stereotype of the spoiled, lazy, rabidly patriotic (and unthinking) American who avoids his responsibilities as a Citizen is something I never see at an Appleseed.

I heard lots of jokes but no whiny complaints.  It was hot and people worked hard.  Everyone pushed and tried and nobody gave up.  Even when there were physical problems people stuck around to the very end, pitching in to clean up and hear us out.  The best are always self-selecting it seems.

Personally I have to thank Bruce (9mm4545, our Appleseed State Coordinator) for coming down to help me out!  I hope folks take away that Appleseed in this fine state (and across the nation) is a great community of Americans that help each other out.

Oh yeah, the shooting part of this weekend.  Incredibly everybody did well.  Yes the heat pounded us like a hammer.  But that didn't stop them.  Of the 2 AQTs on Saturday Ron hit a quick 169.  Many of the scores right off the bat got them out of "Boot".  I saw constant improvement even though scores hit a wall as the heat, rain and waiting sapped everybody's energy.  Some of the highlights for me are:
Ron's attitude, skill and mindset
Tom's Focus
Todd's self-analysis
Neil's constant and notable improvement
Ryan who on-again off-again drilled the target...now it just has to all come together.

Oh yeah...another highlight Tom (over 5 AQTs) hit the score with the highest a 223 using his open sighted CZ bolt gun.  When I mentioned focus there is a reason.  I saw him get brass burns during a rapid string and ignore it.  I saw him keep his cool even though he saved rounds in the rapids.  As a person,  "he is a man that knows very well what he is about."

I hope others chime and and talk about their experiences.

Thanks to:
9mm4545 (Bruce) for helping me out,
xsquidgator (Tom) for enabling all of this,
The Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club (CFRPC) for giving us a home,
the great Americans that I met this weekend
-Peter
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

Mr Pete

"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

9mm4545

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Cable___Guy

Another Great Appleseed , Thanks again to Pete and Tom.  Bruce it was good to meet you.
I have more practice on NPOA to do before the next seed.  It was hot , really hot.  Pete and Tom did a great job reminding us to hydrate.

Erica says she will be back , after we work on our rilfemans yoga.

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

fisherdawg

Quote from: Mr Pete on July 15, 2014, 10:02:31 AM
Summertime in Florida = Hot, Muggy and Wet

It was verging on InfernoSeed territory.  Alas the daily 2 inches of swamp-making rain put a stop to all that.

-Peter

Weather was almost perfect -- mid 60's partly sunny -- at Birchwood last weekend.  You're always welcome back.
regards,
fisherdawg
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

TT92

Pete, thank you for the excellent after action report and the encouraging words!  I was extremely impressed with the whole experience, and am looking forward to my next Appleseed.  What a program!  The marksmanship instruction was excellent, but the real icing for me was the heritage and history lessons.  I am so very impressed by the expertise with which you and XSquidGator and 9mm4545 shared the stories of our nation's beginnings.  You have motivated another disciple here, friends.

And you are right on the money about the quality of the folks who were there this weekend.  What a fine bunch.  I would gladly choose their company if things got tough.

I have begun work on the 7th step, trying to recruit some friends and one of my daughters to take on the Appleseed challenge.  I pray that our paths cross again soon!

All the best,

Tom T. 
I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!!