News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Skinner Sights

Started by Slainte, July 08, 2014, 03:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slainte

Hi guys,  just discovered Project Appleseed and it looks like fun, I might try and make the Columbia Falls shoot in October.
Question, I just put a set of Skinner sights on my 10/22 takedown. Will that be ok or do I have to get a set of Tech sights?  The Skinner windage adjustment has to be done with a drift.  My original plan was to use them as a backup for a scope.  I've never used a scope but I have a UTG that hasn't been mounted yet. I prefer peeps but my eyes are getting old.  Thoughts?

FiremanBob

Skinner sights are very good. Their low profile works well with the OEM stock. If you can, take the time to test them at 25 yards/meters and zero them before coming to the event. Drift-adjusting the sights while you have so much else going on at a rapid pace can be quite frustrating.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

lumberjack55

Never used Skinner sights myself, but no, you don't "have" to have Tech-Sights...they are just nice and easy to use and lengthen your sight radius (thus improving accuracy) substantially.  Nothing wrong with scopes either, especially for seeing those itty bitty 400 yard targets.  I too prefer peeps, and was bound and determined to shoot my first Rifleman score with iron sights, before mounting a cheap fixed 4 power simmons scope on one of my 10/22s.  Only about $50 or so for a fixed 4x scope.  As for the UTG, without knowing what model, beware of red-dot type sights or reticles...while fine for quick target acquisition, they are commonly 4moa in diameter, and will almost totally obscure the targets when doing any kind of precision work.  Some are fine, and some folks shoot well with them, but usually it makes life harder.
Of course bottom line is know how to use what you have to the best of it's potential...fundamentals is fundamentals and you'll learn a lot and get better no matter what you bring.
Hope to see you in October at C-Falls!
lumberjack55
MT State Coordinator