News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Self Reliance Expo Houston September 12-13

Started by Prone to Knit, June 30, 2014, 04:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prone to Knit

Texas, the Self Reliance Expo is once again coming to your state:  September 12th and 13th at the Reliant Center in Houston!

Once again, they welcome an Appleseed booth and pellet line.

We have decided we will not be coming back to Texas. We've made 4 long trips down there to help build your state and it's just too costly: loss of work, wearing out vehicles, unreimbursed expenses and things like bringing home sick stressed dogs incurring huge vet bills and the destruction of the awning on our trailer on the last trip due to ferocious winds.

It costs Appleseed more for our roughly 15 hour drive down there. It makes so much more sense for some of you Dallas people to make the 4-5 hour trip to Houston to help out your state. The expo would benefit more than just the Houston area and I'm sure the Houston folks would appreciate getting a hand in promotions.

The expo is willing to bring down the rifles and pellet traps but they don't have room for the walls.  This would require the Texas team to fund and build walls for the pellet range and then to store them. If you spread the cost among willing instructors that would help. Jim and I paid for our walls and also the sand/concrete to hold the walls since locals haven't been willing to purchase these. The expo intends on going back to Texas once or twice a year.

This is your chance to do this expo Texas style! I have a how-to document I can send to give you a frame to work with.

If someone will take this on, we'll make sure the rifles and traps get towed down there.

What do you say? Are you going to back up all that bragging we always hear about Texas?

Please let us know!

Jim and Kim
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org

Prone to Knit

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org

Fred

OK, there must be some mistake here!

Texas folks not stepping up to a great local (but think, "state-wide") promotional opportunity like this?

It must be simply that none of them have seen this thread, yet.

You reckon?

(Boy, we better hope so!)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Two Wolves

Actually Fred, you killed the goose that laid the golden eggs.  :wb:  However, all is not lost. Surely Floyd is gonna step up to the plate. Ya think?  Regards
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

dragit

Quote from you Fred, "It's no secret that this program has always distanced itself from anything which can be construed as "militia training", and Battleroad offers things like "field medicine", "combat tracking", etc."

Then you say this, "Texas folks not stepping up to a great local (but think, "state-wide") promotional opportunity like this?" for a Self-Reliance Expo where people have booths set up for field medicine and militia groups.  But you want us to mingle with these people as we run a booth with pellet rifles.  Or should we put blinders on and pretend they are not there.

A bit hypocritical, ya reckon?

"Militias" stood their ground on April 19, 1775.  Does that term mean something different today?  I believe "field medicine", as in continual amputation until they died of gangrene, was the order of the day.  Millions of people are about to rely on their self-reliance in the not-so-distant future in this country for survival.  If you do not want to be part of that good luck eating your ammo and cleaning your wounds with gunpowder. 

It is too bad 501c3s are beholden to the very entities that are sinking this ship. 
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.  Goethe

Sarah Belding: Be careful. You're a man who makes people afraid, and that's dangerous.
The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

His genius was to promote collective action in the cause of freedom... Fischer

TimBeatty

I was impossible to fully staff the events for both days in DFW and we have over 20 people with red and orange hats within 50 miles. We have 1 in Houston and maybe only a few within 50 miles of the event. Even if nothing changed from last year we still could not staff the event.
Tim Beatty

Two Wolves

Quote from: timbeatty on August 02, 2014, 01:10:18 AM
I was impossible to fully staff the events for both days in DFW and we have over 20 people with red and orange hats within 50 miles. We have 1 in Houston and maybe only a few within 50 miles of the event. Even if nothing changed from last year we still could not staff the event.

Tim, the difference is in leadership. When the first self reliance expo came to the DFW area, Scout put out the call and we came. From all over the state.  When Scout said he needed help opening a range in deep south Texas, there wasn't enough room for everyone that would go. When the NRA convention was coming to Houston, Scout had volunteer staff lined up a year in advance.

What is it about a broken down, beat up older man like Scout that he can command so much loyalty from his followers? It's certainly not because he's rich and famous. Could it be because of his passion for the mission or his compassion for his fellow man? How about his willingness to give 110%. Radio shows, billboards, full use of his facilities for FREE.

Remember what happened to the world's greatest army on April 19th, 1775 when the colonist militia took out the officers in command. The troops fell apart.

The question is, can Scout be replaced? Can we find another dedicated Appleseed home range centrally located in Texas. One that can host boot camps and a KD range?   Let me know what you find.

One thing that hasn't changed is that the love and the loyalty we have for Michael Adam has been strengthened. Whatever he chooses to do or where ever he goes he will be surrounded with fellow compatriots.

A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."