News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

SCORED!

Started by IRONSIDES, June 28, 2014, 10:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IRONSIDES

I went to the Gladwin community festival with the family today. Realized that we weren't too far from Clare. Made a little detour into Jay's, And brought home a new addition.

I bought it for $320 plus tax, They also sold me a Winchester 222 pack of 22LR since I bought the rifle. If anyone reloads they had a good supply of powder on hand, I picked up a couple of lbs. of Varget.
Time to clean it up so I can put it through it's paces tomorrow.
All in all a good day.

Superheat

O0

Ironsides,
I shot one of #6's twins yesterday at the Lapeer AS.  The stock is very comfy.  One turn on the windage is about 4 moa and about 2 moa per 1/2 turn on the elevation.  I would like to free float the barrel and add something sticky to the butt of the stock.  After sighting it in, I was only able to shoot one AQT and was scored by the rifle designer at 206. 

Boy that stove pipe on stage three really cost me some bragging rights.  Darn.

mac66

Congrats....I don't have one yet :-[  but I did get a chance to shoot Number 6s at Lapeer yesterday. Felt good, shot well, needs some of the usual tweaks (auto bolt release, trigger etc) but otherwise pretty nice.  The stock feels real good and LOP and cheek weld lined up the sights perfectly.  The rear aperture could be smaller but it is a huge improvement over the stock sights. Was still able to shoot some tiny groups with it on occasion though I didn't try and AQT.

Opps, SH posted while I was writing the above....

PS, the extraction on that rifle was getting sticky just before SH showed up to try a AQT with it. I sprayed it with CLP just before he picked it up. He was shooting well but got fouled up with the malfunction and I wasn't cutting him any slack.   ;)   Oh, and the mags were pretty sticky and not falling free either.
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

IRONSIDES

I wimped out and put a 4x scope on mine. Then I free floated the barrel, did the auto bolt release mod, put in a hammer that I stoned per RFC.com, and added a Yellowjacket bolt buffer. When I sighted it in I shot a 1 hole 3 shot group, so the rifle can definately shoot.
I'm also having issues with the mag not dropping,  I might have to take some sand paper and relieve the mag well a little. Overall I'm really happy with it, I mean hey it's a 10/22.
  'Nuff said.

slim

I've found all my 10/22s work better when dirty. It's like the dirt fills in all the cracks and prevents rims from getting hung up on tiny little unseen crevices. These truly are rifles that work better and better the more they're shot.

It also seems like the polymer stocks require a little rounding/edging for the mags to drop free. No big deal but it needs doing.

Pretty cool to see this rifle out there working the lines. Keep up the good work guys!

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: IRONSIDES on July 06, 2014, 12:17:49 PM
I wimped out and put a 4x scope on mine. Then I free floated the barrel, did the auto bolt release mod, put in a hammer that I stoned per RFC.com, and added a Yellowjacket bolt buffer. When I sighted it in I shot a 1 hole 3 shot group, so the rifle can definately shoot.
I'm also having issues with the mag not dropping,  I might have to take some sand paper and relieve the mag well a little. Overall I'm really happy with it, I mean hey it's a 10/22.
  'Nuff said.

I picked one up last weekend and 4 different instructors shot it, and all 4 had much different POI's.  I'm thinking that the differing POI's are due to varying sling tension since the barrel is not free floated.  Any advice on how to go about floating the barrel, since you have already been there and done that?

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Superheat

Quote from: IRONSIDES on July 06, 2014, 12:17:49 PM
  'Nuff said.

Don't be a wimp.  Use those Irons.... "IRONsides" c'mon.   
Can you post pics of the free float?  How did you do it?  What about the Pictany rail touching?

number6

Only one?

Quote from: number6 on June 24, 2014, 09:49:32 AM
Ordered from my Local Gun Shop, while still at the NRA convention.

Arrived on Saturday, slow day at the sportsmens club, so why not go try them out.

After a quick spray of CLP and a bore snaking or two, lets go to the line...

Selfies, no.   SLING-fies, YES.

And of course, with a short handy, Irons/optics rifle set up for a sling, you've got to pay homage to Col. Cooper....

Two is one, One is none.

Impressions, Both needed windage adjustment, of course I brought no tools, so that will have to wait to another day.  Both were 4MOA or less out of the box.  (I am rusty after the winter and need to shoot more)

Great Sight Picture, Trigger is the stock polymer group (I prefer the older metal trigger group).  It took me a few seconds to remember the stock bolt hold open/release manipulation, as being a lefty, I've replaced all my other 10/22s to auto releases.

The rear sight is attached with an additional separate threaded hole in the receiver, which means you could remove the rear sight if you had an optic that interfered with it, without losing or loosening the rail. 

All in all, a great offering from Mac66 and Ruger for their 10/22 lineup.  (FYI, I like the 10/22 as a platform and should have probably invested in Ruger stock when I started this Appleseed journey)

number6
You still have a choice. You can still salvage your right to be individuals. Your rights to truth and free thought! Reject this false world of Number Two . . . reject it NOW!!
Number 6, The Prisoner, Episode 11 "A Change of Mind"

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..." � Richard Henry Lee, "Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic"

"Rifles don't read" YellowHouseJake

"Lots of work?  Yup.  You wanna grow?  Suck it up, cupcake." - SteelThunder

Unbridled Liberty

OK, so I free-floated the barrel and it was not difficult.  I used a block plane, a die grinder and burr on the stock, followed by a dowel wrapped with sandpaper.  The fore end is a little flexible but it may not be a problem.  If so I will stiffen with steel rods and epoxy.

I made the peep smaller by using some brass tubing (3/32" OD x .014 wall x .19" long) inserted inside.  It is better, but not dramatically so.  I also found out that the peep base, the rail and the action screw were very loose.

I think the trigger is good enough, as is the mag release.  And I don't plan on making any changes with the bolt release either.  I hope to have someone shoot it for me this weekend in Nashville, IN.

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms