News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Boulder City October 11-12 AAR

Started by MOGromit, October 16, 2008, 10:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOGromit

Back again in Boulder City for the Appleseed program! 

Strange to think of being at this range for the 3rd time, first as a participant, next as an IIT and finally as a RH.

Koolaid and I synched up in the morning to get caffeinated and then headed out to the range.  With the help of some participants we got the target line set up in one bay and then in a 2nd bay as more shooters started to arrive.  Turns out we only needed the one when, with a little bit of shoving and pushing, we got everyone on a single line.  KA and I were the only instructors present, so we imposed upon Pat a bit to help out on the line.

Started out with the standard material, safety, clearing, line commands.  KA pulled out his WWI era bayonet to impress upon the shooters what the Hits Count target was all about and we posted them and got down to business.  19 shooters with 3 head shots, 2 with an effective range of 300, 6 at 100 and 8 at bayonet length effective range.

Then it was on to the prone position, sling usage, 6 steps and squares Squares SQUARES!!!

Covered the rest of the positions and got in one AQT before the end of the day.

We finished up after the nominal 4 pm closing time since we seem to be getting into better graces with the range management.  It definitely pays to be courteous and respectful and to clean up after ourselves.

Sunday morning started up with 12 returning shooters.  Ball and dummy, carding the sights, and more AQTs then we could shake the proverbial clown bat at.

4 o'clock rolled around faster than we all wanted, and the final Red Coat target showed 2 at 0, 2 at 100, 2 at 200 and 4 at 400, with 2 head shots.  Running out of ammo and some previous commitments reduced the head count slightly through the day.

Benediction was given.  Two rifleman patches were passed out.  All in all a good weekend back in NV. 

Next to get the local contingent up and running so that the imported instructors aren't a necessity for future Appleseeds, the importance of which was stressed by all involved.

Pictures to be posted next.

AZ Gromit

MOGromit

Pictures from Boulder City!

The target line:

[attachment=1]

The firing line getting into position:

[attachment=2]

The (Nevada) Grit of Freedom:

[attachment=3]

The Shoot Boss surveying the line:

[attachment=4]

Ball and Dummy:

[attachment=5]

Greg in MO

Looks like fun Gromit!  Sorry I couldn't be there with you guys this time.  We'll have a good time at Osage Beach to make up for it...

Greg

Fred

Man, this location being one of my favorites, I am sorry I missed it!

I love that Nevada grit! A lot of it is fine enough to be used as free foot powder, in my estimation... ;D

And how did someone get a pic of the Shoot Boss, actually sitting down? I didn't know if it was even possible for an SB to sit down. Isn't that illegal, or sumthin? ;D ;D

And kudos on that magnificent target line - it rivals near-by Hoover Dam, engineering-wise. Guess Kool-Aid forgot Bob 210's custom target holders, and it was "improvise, adapt, and overcome" time.  Good job!
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...