News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Need Assistance: NRA Youth Camp : Bloomington, IL July 24 - 27: SOLD OUT

Started by Mutti, June 18, 2014, 05:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mutti

We have a youth opportunity coming up in a couple of weeks in Bloomington, Illinois.   Darnall's Gun Works  & Ranges are holding their 20th annual NRA Youth Shooters Camp July 24 - 27.

The NRA Youth Shooting Camp at Darnall's is the longest-running NRA Youth Shooting Camp in the nation....and they have decided to give Appleseed Saturday and Sunday to instruct the Rifle Line.

What's needed:
  Roughly 8-12 rifle instructors to help five groups of 28-30 shooters each over Saturday and Sunday only.  We will have approximately 2:00 - 2:15 hours each "session". 

Anyone who is available is welcome to come help instruct.  Camping is available for those who choose to come in Friday night. Food will be provided Saturday & Sunday along with the opportunity to tell Young Patriot History and possibly a LibertySeed Saturday night.

Equipment / Loaners would help to standardize the line if available.

Please contact Mutti or Steck  with the Days, Day or Partial Day you will be able to assist.

Come be part of this :

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

SlingBurn

Would love to take part.  A little one is on the way early August for us though - so I'd like to be considered a tentative. 

I can certainly run some loaner equipment over there for the kids to use, though.  I live only about 10 minutes away at most.

If nothing else - I have a 10/22 carbine that I've made Rifleman with, so it shoots well and runs well.  I can drop that off.  I also have a shooting mat.  I live right off the exit to 55 from Veteran's Parkway, so my stuff can be dropped off at my house afterwards, or I can come pick it up, too.  Please do not hesitate to contact me about that stuff.  If I have anything else that might be helpful, I'll let you know.
"I have not a man who is afraid to go." - Isaac Davis

Mutti

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

slim

Did the national director approve this? Last I heard we're not allowed to do this kind of stuff.

Mutti

Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

slim

Cool! 

And totally not trying to be a naysayer here but are the youth signing their own waivers?

Mutti

Yes - Those are being provided to the Parents of the Youth upon arrival to the Camp.

Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

scuzzy

This event has been approved.

We need some help here - only Mutti and Janir are signed up right now. You can sign up for this event just like all others - just go to TIPS->Sign Up

Here's the current roster:

https://appleseedinfo.org/tips/roster-for-shoots.php?qstate=IL&statename=Illinois

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

John Boch

A little bit of background here:

The Darnall's NRA Youth Shooting Camp is a four day, three night affair where the kids camp in tents on the top part of the property (participant boys and girls in separate areas, of course) at night.

During the day, they are exposed to most of the major shooting disciplines, under up to Olympic-level quality of instructors.  The purpose isn't to make them Olympic shooters, but to show the kids safety and the fundamentals of the various disciplines.  Yes, some of the Olympic guys do recruit kids who exhibit natural abilities...

And the CIPS range is one of the nation's two designated Olympic training facilities by the US Shooting Sports (or so I'm told).  The other being Colorado Springs, CO.

The disciplines shot:  RIFLE, PISTOL, AIR RIFLE, SHOTGUN (TRAP), COWBOY ACTION, STEEL CHALLENGE, MUZZLE LOADING, ARCHERY and probably a couple of more I'm forgetting about (apologies in advance if you work one of the forgotten ones).

The kids spend two hours at each station, getting hands-on practice and instruction implementing the fundamentals.  And have fun.

The need for help this year on the rifle line came about as a result of some of the Olympic guys being gone for some tourney somewhere.  The camp's organizers moved most of the rifle coaches to the air rifle line, and that left a big old hole that I thought "hey, Appleseed could probably pull this off!"

Because of the camp's organizers' prior experience with Appleseed shoots held at their range, and upon my recommendation, they waived the requirement that all instructors be NRA Certified. 

I offered it to Mutti and Steck and they jumped on it with both feet.

Kids attending and the volunteers are a who's who of families in the region, including more than a few notables.  It's now just shy of 150 kids, up from 100ish, thanks to nation-wide publicity from Guns Save Life selling a bunch of scrap metal to the do-gooders in Chicago a couple of years ago at a "gun turn in".  This camp was the NRA Camp where much of that $6,240 has gone as Guns Save Life buys most of the ammunition each year (well, Mayor Daley for a couple of year, LOL) for the camp and donates rifles (again, bought by Mayor Daley).

All told, there will be upwards of 250 people (there's a lot of behind the scenes logistics - volunteers to help with logistics are welcome and appreciated) there that "we" as Appleseed have a direct line to pitch the Appleseed program and American history to. 

I'm sure Appleseed with do an admirable job with it and leave the kids with some great fundamentals in the prone position.

10/22s would probably be nearly ideal if we can get them with appropriate slings.  Tech sights would be idea.  I've got one with a scope and one without that I'll bring along for loaners, along with an S&W AR15/22.  Janir's got slings and I'll make sure I've got appropriate swivels.

This camp is professionally run by some long-time, highly influential people in the National Rifle Association (including Sue Darnall, the "Woman of the Year" a few years ago).  This can be a match made in heaven if it's handled well, for some long term partnerships down the road.

As an added bonus:  Saturday after dark will the the "Adult shoot under the lights" where we shoot trap under stadium lights.  If you haven't done it before, it's extra fun.  And it's free to the adult volunteers, "junior staff" (kids over 17 may return as staff - "gophers") and instructors.

John

John Boch

Camping:  Highly recommended on site.   Plenty of room for campers, or just plain old tents (that's most folks there).  Discourage non-inverter gensets if you're planning on running a generator all night.

There's showers for staff (and the kids can usually get in them as well).  I don't know about you but I gotta have a shower.

Weather's usually decent to on the cool side at night.

Food is superlative and plentiful.  Adults eat first.

The camp's organizers treat the staff like gold.

If you've got a spouse or kid, bring them along.  Still available slots last time I checked, but I'm sure it's nearing capacity.  Register kids aged 9-16 with the form on their website: Darnalls.com

If you must have a hotel room, the Hawthorn on the west side will give you their best rate $70 if you tell them you're with GSL Defense Training for a training event.  Consider this a GSL Defense Training training event.

Gotta run.  Shoot me an email (templar223@comcast.net) or IM, or call me at 217 649- 3702 if you have questions.

This is a good time you'll enjoy.

John

RiflesnReins

HUZZAH!  We need only 5 more instructors (at minimum)! If you can make it out, PLEASE do! Hang out with the Illinois Crew. What can you lose?
Cannot wait to see you guys!

An over-eager and coffee filled-
:))
RnR
"Come on guys!  Keep your eyes on your magazines. Stop looking at RnR to tell you when to fire. I know you can hear her down there. Trust me I should know, I live in the same house!."  Mutti

"The truly blind are those who will not open their eyes to see"

"How can a man die better, than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his Fathers, and the temple of his Gods."
"Horatius At The Bridge"
Thomas Lord Macaulay

I am not sleeping... I'm just practicing the prone position.

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
― Winston Churchill

"The trouble is not in dying for a friend, but in finding a friend worth dying for."
― Mark Twain

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
George S. Patton

Steck

So eager to do this!   Ratboy & I will be there. 

What better chance to reach SO many of our posterity?

Looking forward to meeting more of the ever-expanding Appleseed family!

RiflesnReins

"Come on guys!  Keep your eyes on your magazines. Stop looking at RnR to tell you when to fire. I know you can hear her down there. Trust me I should know, I live in the same house!."  Mutti

"How can a man die better, than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his Fathers, and the temple of his Gods."
"Horatius At The Bridge"
Thomas Lord Macaulay

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
― Winston Churchill

"The trouble is not in dying for a friend, but in finding a friend worth dying for."
― Mark Twain

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
George S. Patton

SlingBurn

"I have not a man who is afraid to go." - Isaac Davis

imadentist

DrRichP

DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

DrRichP

This is the current Instructor roster:

•   Steck(Shoot Boss) Shoot Boss
•   Mutti(Shoot Boss) Shoot Boss
•   DrRichP(dSB) Instructor
•   Janir(Shoot Boss) Instructor
•   imadentist(Instructor) Instructor
•   Laredo(Instructor) Instructor
•   RiflesnReins(Instructor) Instructor
•   templar223(IIT 3) IIT
•   Cinco(IIT 3) IIT
•   Bearcub(IIT 1) IIT
•   ratboy(Apple Core) AppleCore   
•   Phoenix Man aka Clint(Apple Core) AppleCore

Do we have enough? Not that we couldn't use more, but have we met the minimum number of Instructors yet?

DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

Mutti

We currently have 12 and could use a few more. 25-30 Youth per 2.5 hr Session will provide approx. 3 : 1 Instructor / Student ratio.

If anyone can work Saturday, Sunday or partial days that would be helpful.

Reminder : The NRA Volunteer form can be found here to ensure Darnall's knows how many to include for meal Planning, etc. : http://darnalls.com/CAMP/2014/camp.html

Imadentist, RiflesNReins and I will be car-pooling up Friday Evening to help prepare the line / Station - and would love a Pre-Event dinner. Bring advice on Camping - RnR and I have 2 Cots - I think she is planning on taking lots of "Mutti can't Camp" photos  %). Could be interesting...

See everyone there -

Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

RiflesnReins

Bwahahahahahaaaaa!  %) Yeah, Imadentist and Mutti might regret bringing coffee along.......................

Hope to see everyone there,

RnR

"Horatius At The Bridge"
Thomas Lord Macaulay

― Winston Churchill

― Mark Twain

George S. Patton

Phoenix Man aka Clint

I saw something that indicated the rifles would all be bolt no sling.  I was going to bring my two Ruger 10-22's that are set up the way we set up for appleseed.  Should I? 

Mutti

We are encouraging Instructors to bring loaners if possible. While the gear provided is adequate, Appleseed Instructors can assist by bringing those set up in the more familiar pattern to facilitate SHF and educating about Sling usage.

We are bringing 3 including a compact. PM either Steck or Mutti for inventory #'s if you'd like.

Mutti
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)