News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

BURLINGTON FLATS, NY A.A.R. 07-08 JUN 2014

Started by sgtrock, June 08, 2014, 09:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgtrock

Burlington Flats, NY is a magnet for Great Folks to gather with excellent attitudes and outstanding talents.
With the weather being just absolutley perfect and wind conditions nill, we had many outstanding performances on the 25m line as well as on our KD range.

There was father and daughter Gary and Sammie, father and son John and John Jr, uncle and nephew Craig and Keaton, IIT kooch13's brother Patrick (Active Duty) who by the way shot 220 on his very first AQT this weekend on Saturday, No other word is better than Outstanding on his performance.
  But we're not done yet, there was also sets of friends, Ed and Scott who has not shot on a range in about 13 years and did a wonderful job on both the 25m line as well as the KD range with a 10/22 out to 200yds, on paper and steel.

With Ed being his 4th Appleseed is a welcome to any range, plus he is The Carcano Man, but what sets him apart from any shooter that I have ever had on the line is his rifle that he shoots on the 25m line it an old Winchester (forgot the Model number, brain cramping here) it's a single shot, manual cocking rifle and he shoots rifleman scores to boot. Very well disciplined individual just awesome.
He is also an EMT First Responder, we all feel good when he is here.

Plus we had 4 types of doctors on our line as well, all from the same hospital, in fact which is local to our area.
We certainly had everything covered, Thank you all so much.

We also had a young man name Keaton that I believe was our most improved shooter, He persevered all weekend long and had a good time. He is more than welcome at this range anytime.

Another set of buddys Jeff and Brian with Brian keeping things in order on the 25m line while Jeff went to KD and did well at 200 with a 10/22.
Then we have Meghan with her first Appleseed adventure and also being the shoot boss' daughter did a very fine job on the 25m line with 198 being her high score for the weekend and at KD with a 223 on a nice platform. she wailed the snot out of the paper targets and did a beautiful riflemans dance on the sighters at 300yds came back to the 300yd line, placed her d.o.p.e. on the rifle and placed all rounds in the 4 and 5 rings, in just less than a 4moa group, with iron sights of coarse, nice job young lady.

On our line were two Burlington Flats Junior rifle youngsters that are a joy to have here, not just because I know them, but because they enjoy learning.
John Jr took his 10/22 to 100yd paper and posted a group that was at just 8 inches, came back applied his come ups and tightened his group to under 6" all 5's and one 4 ring, but with his understanding of the art of the rifle that we teach kids here he looked at the 300yd steel and asked if he could shoot at that and I said have at it, I gave advise as to were to hold and he placed on that target 3 rds out of 5, I believe, just an absolute steady position this man has, but not only that with another Junior Rifle youngster IIT Awesome Austin did this very thing as well, these kids can shoot in Upstate New York, Burlington Flats Junior Rifle and Appleseed makes a fine combination that great for our saving of this country and our heritage.

The KD range is were the rubber meets the road folks, if you have range enough, it needs to happen at these shoots, the smiles on both kids and adults is the most rewarding point I can have as a shoot boss.

Everyone that shot on the KD range placed rounds on target first time out. We had a Carcano, that hit well at 300, 223's and a 308 boltgun, with a Mosan Nagant as well all placed first rounds on targets at their respective battle sight zeros and then some,,, all who shot 22lr at distance did the same, they all took them out father than most people would even attempt that have not been to one of our events. Is it fun, you betcha it is, what a blast.

I like to set my range up with paper and steel,,, paper first to get the info and then confirm and move to steel and sit back and watch the movie, its great,,, I must say the Carcano has no adjustable sights they are fixed, so The Operator, Ed knows how to apply Kentucky windage and Tennesee elavation and connect.. if you know your equipment nothing is impossible.

Our other Junior Rifle attendee had a previous engagement on Sunday so she was unable to shoot the KD range but she lives around here and I will set a range weekend in the near future so she can get the KD experience.

It is getting late I will end this for now till I get some sleep and refresh my brain cells to follow up this report, so many great things happened this weekend that must be mentioned, others I am sure will post their findings and observations,,,

We also had a very nice lady that volunteered her time to take pictures for us because us guys are really not qualified picture takers, Her name is Randi and is a friend of Shoot Boss Odin from the Burlington Flats club area as well.
I would like to say Welcome to our Family and Thank you so much for all the help.

Pictures will follow as soon as they are edited and she gets some sleep as well.   

to be continued.... must get ready for tommorrow's work day....

sgtrock   

Odin

This was another really great shoot at Burlington Flats.  Couldn't ask for better weather or more attentive students.

As Sgtrock said a lot of great things happened this weekend.  Another good example is Scott who's first rounds down range had a shot gun pattern.  He paid close attention to the instruction, and applied what was being taught.  Quickly the large shot gun pattern turned into a nice tight group.  Even more impressive is just how quickly he learned to talk to his target and apply the feed back to the next string.  Very impressive.

All the shooters improved greatly.  It is always a pleasure to have younger shooters on the line and to watch them as their groups shrink and they improve their marksmanship skills.  I never saw any hints of frustration on Sammie, John Jr, or Keaton.  Just determination and a desire to keep improving.  They are very remarkable young people and give me hope for the future.

Pictures will be following, hopefully tonight or maybe tomorrow.

Final thing for now.  We found a stapler left behind a model T2025.  If this is your stapler please contact Sgtrock so he can make arrangements to get it back to you.
Deluce Bellum Inexpertis (sweet is war to those who have never experienced it) - Roman Proverb

"Of his knowledge a man should never boast, but be sparing in his speech.  When to his house a wiser man comes, seldom do the silent make mistakes" - Havamal

"To ask well and answer rightly are the marks of a wise man" - Havamal

LittleMo

Another fantastic Appleseed at Burlington Flats! Congrats to all!
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

Ed Lentz

I just wanted to reiterate my thanks to all the instructors. A job well done, thanks for all the hard work. I know Scott walked away very impressed and his shooting much improved. He said he's going to go home and spread the word to his circle of friends which is the best praise I can think of.

I had a blast. It was great to shoot that carcano out to 300 yards. Its all a question of where to hold those fixed sights. Now I just need to spend a few evenings putting some more cartridges together...

If I can keep wrangling new shooters to bring along, I'll be back.

Thanks guys

Ed

sgtrock

Thanks Ed

Its always at a pleasure to have you with us, I relish in the thought of how you mastered that single shot Winchester.
Scott's improvement was written on his face, something to be proud of for sure.

As soon as Dan gets the pictures up, we have a shot of his redcoats, before and after, what a difference and for not having shot in so long makes it even better,,,

So much emprovement this weekend by everyone it does a heart good.

Stoner

There was also a deep purple colored towel left by someone along with the staple gun mention above,
I have these waiting for their owners,,, Let me know where and I will ship them to you.

Odin

Sorry for the delay:  Here are some pictures from the weekend:

Down at the 25 yard line doing target analysis:

The shooters improved with each string of fire:

Demonstrating the sitting position:

Instructors in the dirt with the students helping them with the sitting position:

Ed with a great standing position:

The KD range:

Target analysis at the KD range:

Our young shooters getting awarded the Young Patriots patch:

Our newest Rifleman Patrick receiving the patch from his brother Kooch13:

Scot with a remarkable improvement over the weekend:

A close up:  On the left his red coat from Saturday Morning, on the right is his red coat at the close of Sunday:

And a group photo

I'll try and post some more later on.
Deluce Bellum Inexpertis (sweet is war to those who have never experienced it) - Roman Proverb

"Of his knowledge a man should never boast, but be sparing in his speech.  When to his house a wiser man comes, seldom do the silent make mistakes" - Havamal

"To ask well and answer rightly are the marks of a wise man" - Havamal

sgtrock

Nice pictures Dan,
This shoot was such a great event that it was an honor to Be there.
I'd like to thank all the instructors for helping with this event, everyone liked the personal instruction they received.

Thanks also goes to the Club, Burlington Flats for hosting this event, with all amenities and a Pit range is awesome.

If any of you folks reading this happen to pass thru these parts, give us a call and we will be on the range.

Mph_VT

one big hoozah! another great day at Burlington Flats.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it.

Learned Hand

Sir, the gods of the valley are not the gods of the hills, and you shall understand it.             

Ethan Allen