News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sorta-AAR: Practical Rifle Field Match at WRGC, June 7, 2014

Started by SteelThunder, June 07, 2014, 03:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelThunder

We had a small but positive start to a new field competition featuring "Appleseed inspired" practical rifle shooting (note - this was not billed as an Appleseed event, nor were any volunteers noted as Appleseed instructors.  We did, however, promote Appleseed to the shooters).  With 11 individual entries in Rimfire Irons, Rimfire Optics, Centerfire Irons and Centerfire Optics, we stretched the legs of our rimfire and centerfire rifles by simulating 100, 200, 300 and 400 yard distances at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards for rimfire and 50, 100, 150 and 200 yards for centerfire.

All of this was done to 1) better acquaint ourselves with our rifles and our skills over distance with come ups, wind, etc, and 2) donate to the local 4-H Shooting Club.  We accomplished both with many "learnings" and around $150 raised for our local club.  They graciously served lunch and I think we got more than 1 of the junior shooters interested in shooting in more realistic conditions.

The course of fire was as follows:
•   3 positions, 4 stages, shoot against reduced 100-400 yard targets out to 100 actual yards for rimfire, 200 actual yards for centerfire, 10 rounds per stage
    o   Stage 1 - Slow Fire Standing, 100 yd simulated, 2 minutes
    o   Stage 2 - Rapid Fire Seated, 200 yd simulated, 50 seconds (no transitions, start from seated with an unloaded rifle)
    o   Stage 3 - Rapid Fire Prone, 300 yd simulated, 60 seconds (no transitions, start from prone with an unloaded rifle)
    o   Stage 4 - Slow Fire Prone, 400 yd simulated, 5 minutes, double points
•   Rimfire procedure using 25% reduced targets: 
    o   100 yd simulated at 25 yards
    o   200 yd simulated at 50 yards
    o   300 yd simulated at 75 yards
    o   400 yd simulated at 100 yards
•   Centerfire procedure using 50% reduced targets: 
    o   100 yd simulated at 50 yards
    o   200 yd simulated at 100 yards
    o   300 yd simulated at 150 yards
    o   400 yd simulated at 200 yards
•   Each stage will be run in relays.  Once a relay is complete, the range will be made cold and stage targets will be retrieved and scored. 
•   Target and firing lines 
    o   The target line was at the 200 yd berm
    o   Firing lines were clearly marked on the ground
    o   Transitions between target lines were be accomplished as a group with safed, slung rifles under positive control by the Line Boss and RSO

We had customized targets 5" 4/5/V for rimfire and 10" 4/5/V for centerfire (works out to 5 MOA for Stage 4) made for this event   We 1000 of each so if you are running an event like this, we can supply you!  https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=41189.0

We had medals for division winners and certificates for the top 3 shooters in each division.  Also gave away a free attendance to an Appleseed as a door prize, as well as donated a free certificate to the 4-H club to encourage them to start coming.  Lots of learning both how to run a match like this as well as everyone became more confident in their skills and where they needed some work.

NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

slim

That's awesome!

We're doing ours again tomorrow at Wilmington (5th one?) and did a second one at Crittenden a few weeks ago. You're right about the learning and figuring things out. It's fun to get out shooting!

Now, I'm not calling shenanigans here, but how can you be the guy running the match and the guy with all the medals???  :pop:

SteelThunder

QuoteNow, I'm not calling shenanigans here, but how can you be the guy running the match and the guy with all the medals???

Gaaahhh....my plan to rig a match so I would have been the one to win...ME!!!!!...it was a perfect plan.  Work months to plan and promote...personally expend a large sum of money getting targets and awards.  Spend most of a day away from my family to run the match as well as shoot it.  Rig the scores.  Then post selfies of me on Facebook with my ill gotten gains.

And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for slim and you meddling kids.  And your dog...
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Oz

Quote from: slim on June 07, 2014, 05:04:18 PM
Now, I'm not calling shenanigans here, but how can you be the guy running the match and the guy with all the medals???  :pop:

It was entirely on the up and up for surely he would accept no advantage.  I carefully followed ST2's match instructions and did not sleep or drink fluids since Tuesday.  The drive was a little hairy and the numbers on the padlock seemed to be in a foreign language and made no sense to me but a passing jackelope (I think--do jackelopes ride mopeds?) took pity and helped me tunnel in.  I was just finishing remanufacturing components from the misfire tube for my match ammo, as instructed, when he arrived.  I have never seen a more magnificent sight than ST2 stepping down from his sedan chair, wearing a plaid shooting jacket, waving to the crowd and effortlessly miming chip shots with a nine-iron.  Even at my best I could never knot an ascot that crisply.  When he gave my scope turrets a spin for luck I nearly wept.  A score of 63 was perfect to earn these medals--64 would have spoiled it.  That picture of him wearing the medals is as impressive today as it was the day it was taken.

Seriously, it was a great day, with awesome folks, supporting a youth marksmanship group, and I can't wait 'til we do it again in September!  I learned--I still have lots to learn! 
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

SteelThunder

I couldn't find a picture of a Jackalope riding a moped, but I did find this one of a Jackalope riding a unicorn. I hope it suffices.

Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

mac66

That's awesome!

We're doing ours again tomorrow at Wilmington (5th one?) and did a second one at Crittenden a few weeks ago. You're right about the learning and figuring things out. It's fun to get out shooting!

His match, his rules.

Sounds like a great time. Now come over to the east side and do one for us.
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

slim

Hilarious write-up, Oz.

And not only is that jackelope riding the unicorn but I'm pretty sure it's farting rainbows!  O0

Oz

Quote from: SteelThunder on June 07, 2014, 08:08:03 PM
I couldn't find a picture of a Jackalope riding a moped, but I did find this one of a Jackalope riding a unicorn. I hope it suffices.

**)
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

MI-copperhead

He didnt quite get all the medals. Fortunately for me, he didnt shoot optic centerfire, so I was able to eek out a win in that category. Might have been that awesome Appleseed Promo Shooting shirt I was wearing, or more likely all that awesome instruction I've received at the 9 Appleseeds I've attended since 09 of 2011.
A really big thanks Kris and John for coming up with this event and all the hard work they put in. It was fun trudging up and down the range on a glorious June morning with riflemen again. I'm going to dust off my trusty 22 as well and practice my come ups for the September event.
This was the first time since November of last year that I've put more than 2 rounds down range so I was a bit rusty and my timing was a little off but I still had a great time!
Morgan's Rifleman 250 yard cold bore, 10/29/2022, Tusco Rifle Club, New Philadelphia OH KD/Rifle M1A w optics/Prone
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God ! I know not what course others may choose, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death ! " Patrick Henry
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
Thomas Jefferson
"Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Capt. John Parker
" I have'nt a man who 's afraid to go." Capt Isaac Davis
"I would say that the majority of Americans have no real sense of the value and the uniqueness of being a U.S. citizen.  Once they realize what they have, they are less likely to stand by while some politician attempts to whittle down their rights."  Troy a.k.a. solarguy

Bill Winkle

Quote from: SteelThunder on June 07, 2014, 08:08:03 PM

ouch! my eyes!
....Bill Winkle....