News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Winchendon, MA October 11, 12 2008

Started by Buzzworth, October 14, 2008, 12:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzzworth

O.K.
The range is nice grassy and level complete with a full service bar. :o
They also served up a nice lunch for us for the $5.00 range fee both days.
The weather was perfect cold in the morning warm mid day and cool in the afternoon clear and bright.
Boy it is too bad the it gets so dark so fast these days  :(
Saturday
20 shooters on the line
We had some first time ever shooters and some familiar faces and friends
Thanks to Nickle and his tuck-o-LTRs and other IITs with LTRs so every one had a magazine fed rifle and could load 40 rounds (more on that later)  ;D
The first time shooters did struggle at first however after some solid one on one instruction and a cross eye dominance catch they settled in and started to get some groups all rounds on target good aimed fire from correct positions in just a few short hours  8)

We shot green coats stage by stage in the afternoon

Then the "GRIND" 40 rounds 4 minutes transition as needed (AKA Rapid fire AQT) we shot 4 of these late in the afternoon (shoot two RFAQTs take a break and score them both then two more take another break and score them) works well  ;)

Twiggman gave us the 1st strike and hooked everybody in on the heritage that we are keeping alive

We had one Rifleman Tom from Connecticut his second Appleseed way to go Tom!  :)

Round count was 231  8)
All in all a good group of now awake Americans had a good day on the range linked with our country's founding heritage

Sunday
Started out down right cold in the morning (ask the guys who road in on a cycle) BURRRR
The day warmed up nicely crisp and clear the rest of the day
9 Shooters on the line
No first time shooters in fact no first time Appleseeders either  ;)
All with Magazine fed rifles too (good for grinding) ;D
We had some folks that were first time ever shooters at their first Appleseed and came back for more (a Riflemen persists)
A tip of the hat goes to Sean from Maine he would have been better off with a scoped rifle however he was not going to have any of that.
Iron sights were the tools he wanted to work with  8)
He worked hard and his targets showed it high score for Sean was 184 (knocking on the door) he started out someplace around 123 or something (those low scores are a thing of the past for him now)  ;)
This American slept in his car at the range both cold nights drove from way up north near Bar Harbor Maine and shot that iron sight LTR he is 77 years old a truly DANGEROUS COOK full of great resolve

On the other end of the age spectrum we have Daniel he is 15 years old and this was his third Appleseed on Saturday he shot with his grandmother and on Sunday he shot with his mother (got that three generations of Appleseeders) he was already a Rifleman made the cut at his second Appleseed and shot Riflemen three times on this Sunday  8)
(see I told you NPOA works!!) GET ON IT! ARE YOU ON IT?! YOU BETTER BE!

Dwarven1 did the second strike
I really like it when he speaks the strikes as he lives right their near were those events took place that day that faithful day of April 19th 1775 his passion comes through (gives me chills and goosebumps of bride and responsibility for heritage of that day and all the people that put it all on the line to live free. The very freedom we enjoy to date)

Then back to work on the grind  ;D

Some special prep periods for sight adjustment, cleaning, loose 10-22 action screws check and right back to work shoot two score, shoot two more score like that

We did some innovative drills with the practice AQT target (stage two and two each stage three and four) 40 rounds at the stage 3 and 4 targets and a very effective by the numbers, NPOA, follow through drill
10 rounds Prone fired on command one round at a time on the stage 2 target after getting an honest and be true to yourself NPOA
The line call went something like this
GET ON IT! ARE YOU ON IT? IF NOT GET ON IT, MOVE YOUR BODY ARE YOU NOW ON IT REALLY ON IT?
O.K.
CLOSE YOUR EYES, TAKE A BREATH, COMPLETELY RELAX YOU MUSSELS,
OPEN YOUR EYES, ARE YOU ON IT? REALLY ON IT? BE HONEST WITH YOUR SELF
OK
IS THE FIRING LINE READY? READY ON THE RIGHT? READY ON THE LEFT? ALL READY ON THE FIRING LINE FIRE! HOLD THAT TRIGGER BACK
CALL YOUR SHOT!
10 times (well 11 until all I got was hammers I lost count)  :-[

IIT johniim did his first history third strike (remember yours? I remember mine)  :-X
Master Nickle followed up with Dangerous old men (we had some on the line that weekend too)

Round count was high 586 rounds of aimed fire! (817 rounds total!!!)  :o ;D 8)
We had three Riflemen on Sunday
John (Firewall99) IIT and Hew Hampshire state coordinator 212
John (johniim) IIT from Michigan (and a life save to have show up) 210 yah he got wet
And Daniel 213, 222, 227 also stepped up and put on an Orange hat! 8)

It was my honor to work with another OUTSTANDING crew

Thank You
IIT Dennis (Twiggman)the boots on the ground guy his home range he set up the target backers for us
IIT Ross (Dwarven1)
IIT John (johniim)
Cheryl and her man our north east Master Instructor Nickle  :-*

Another excellent and rewarding Appleseed event
WELL DONE TO ALL

Your humble Shoot Boss Buzzwoth

No Guns, No safety, No freedom
KNOW Guns, KNOW Safety, KNOW FREEDOM

Nickle

It truly is a pleasuere to work an Appleseed with a crew like this.

Buzzworth, Twiggman, Dwarven1, Johniim.

My job was easy. It was BW's first time at bat as Shoot Boss, and he did the job well.

Daniel, well, what can I say?

A 3 generation Appleseed family. Now, the youngest (15) has donned the Orange Hat, and will be working the line. All 3 know the meaning of persistence and are true Patriots. Mother, Son and Grandmother.

The range? Well, it's one of the better I've worked, and I've worked some great ranges.

$5/day range fee. They surprised us Sat AM, and asked Cheryl for a count of who wants what for lunch, saying Lunch was included in the range fee. Burgers, dogs, cole slaw and beans, AND a beverage. The leftover money goes to help pay for a Kids Fishing Derby in the early summer. So, know that the range fee went to a great purpose.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

GMB74

Congrats to johniim: I knew you would shoot a Rifleman score- told you so when you came and shot with us that Monday night at Proctor!

A special congrats to our new IIT Daniel- Welcome aboard!

Well done, everyone.

Sorry I couldn't make it to this shoot- hopefully I will see some of you at Middlebury.

Has anyone come across my missing clipboard?

nes_matt

Hi all,

Unfortunately I was unable to attend either day (and this is my home range :-\), but I did get down to watch for a while and take in the sight to 20 shooters exercising thier rights!  I was amazed and pleased that there were so many women - almost half of the group!

It was a thrill to have appleseed at my home range and I expect the club leadership will concur.  Thanks to MrTwigg for bringing this to Winchendon, and to all the other instructors that came out to teach.  I'm sorry I couldn't have been a part of it other than as an observer.

I did take a bunch of pics and will spend some time doing a short write up for the local paper.

Thanks again guys,
Matt

nes_matt

Here's a draft of the article for the local papers.  Any comments appreciated (warning - it's late and I haven't done a thorough proof read!).  I'll send it in tomorrow after another edit.

Dennis, do you mind if I use your name in the article?

Matt

Nickle

Quote from: GMB74 on October 14, 2008, 09:53:46 PM

Has anyone come across my missing clipboard?

I've got it. I'll have it for you at Middlebury, unless you need it sooner.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Nickle

Quote from: nes_matt on October 15, 2008, 12:28:58 AM
Here's a draft of the article for the local papers.  Any comments appreciated (warning - it's late and I haven't done a thorough proof read!).  I'll send it in tomorrow after another edit.

Matt

A couple of comments.

We don't refund the entry fee for "cleaning" the first Redcoat. We do offer the "Texas Challenge". Instead of shooting the Redcoat, you get an AQT target and 4 minutes (all positions), if you put up $100. If you make 210 or higher, you get your $100 back, plus the registration fee. (Take it to the bank you'll be offered to become an Instructor-In-Training as well.)

The oldest shooter we know of was Sean, 77, from Maine. I think the grandmother may be younger than 77. It makes for a good story, though, 3 generations shooting together. The grandson is now an IIT.

Buzzworth

Quote from: nes_matt on October 15, 2008, 12:28:58 AM

Matt

Daniels Grandmother's name is Shirley
No Guns, No safety, No freedom
KNOW Guns, KNOW Safety, KNOW FREEDOM

nes_matt

Thanks all,  noted.  I will adjust and send out.

nes_matt

OK, I submitted to the Gardner News:

QuoteStraight Shooters in a Season of Politics
Matthew XXXX

Winchendon, MA - 20 shooters and a handful of skilled instructors gathered this weekend at the Winchendon Rod and Gun Club on River Street in Winchendon for a weekend of marksmanship training as part of Project Appleseed.  Shooters came from all over Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Connecticut to attend the two day course.  Volunteer instructors came from as far away as Michigan.

Appleseed is a unique program that couples rifleman training with history lessons centered on the founding of our country and the role of the rifleman in the Revolutionary War.  The program is open to all ages (youth must be accompanied by an adult).  This weekend 15 year old Daniel attended with his mother and grandmother, representing three generations of his family.  The oldest attendee was 77 year old Sean, from Bar Harbor Maine.  Participants ranged from experienced shooters to a first time shooter who had never handled a firearm.

The day starts with a safety briefing, followed by setting up on the firing line.  Appleseed instructors are rigorously trained in safe firearms handling.  Participants are reminded throughout the day of these basics, drilling in the discipline of safe handling.  Before formal training starts a string of fire is shot and targets are scored and critiqued to form a basis for measuring improvement. 

The first half of Saturday is spent focusing on the basics of shooting from the prone position (laying on the ground).  Students are taught to fire shots "by the numbers": (1) sight alignment (2) sight picture (3) respiratory pause (4) focus on the front sight (5) squeeze the trigger and finally, (6) follow through.  A series of drills exercises these basic steps.

As the day progresses, standing and sitting shooting positions are taught.  In each position instructor demonstrate proper technique and work one on one with students, pointing out problems and adjusting positions.  After some practice with these positions shooters begin firing the a version of the Army Qualification Test, or AQT.  The goal is for shooters to reach a score of 210, the army level of "Expert"; or "Rifleman" as the Appleseeders refer to it.  On this day one of the shooters achieved Rifleman.  By the end of this first day each shooter had fired just under 250 rounds.

Sunday morning picks up where Saturday ended, firing more AQT's and further drilling and instruction on the basics of shooting.  The continual reinforcement embeds the basics.  By the end of this day another 586 rounds had gone down range and three shooters had attained the coveted Rifleman patch.

All in all, this was an outstanding weekend.  The Winchendon Rod and Gun Club proved an excellent host, serving lunch each day and providing ideal facilities for this event.  Participants left charged up and with the tools they need to continue improving their skills.  If you would like more information about Project Appleseed and other upcoming events please visit them on the web at www.appleseedinfo.org.

PICS:

Instructor Dennis XXXX, an active member of Winchendon Rod and Gun, walking the line during live fire exercises.  Note "Grandma" in the background wearing the dress.

Shooters fire from the prone position while instructors offer advice.

Instructor Dennis XXX, an active member of Winchendon Rod and Gun,  gives part of the history lesson during a break in the shooting.

Nickle

Hey, Matt, how about posting those pics you posted over at NES?

johniim

I just wanted to thank everyone for letting me come out for my first IIT gig I had a blast the range was nice the food was great and the company I kept was exceptional. I now know I need to learn the three strikes and commit them to memory so they flow better. I look forward to seeing you folks down the Appleseed trail.

nes_matt

Quote from: Nickle on October 15, 2008, 02:09:46 PM
Hey, Matt, how about posting those pics you posted over at NES?

As Requested:

Enjoy!