News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Flag Stand for Liberty Seeds

Started by fisherdawg, May 29, 2014, 11:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fisherdawg

I wanted to be able to display the flags at a Liberty Seed. So, based on some inspiration form Kimber Custom I built this.
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

9mm4545

How about a blow by blow description of how you did this? I can't make out the details in the photo and I could use one of these.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

fisherdawg

Quote from: 9mm4545 on May 29, 2014, 12:33:32 PM
How about a blow by blow description of how you did this? I can't make out the details in the photo and I could use one of these.

I started with Kimber Custom's idea from this post:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=37234.msg272056#msg272056

I used 6" PVC for the center post and 1/2" regular PVC for the poles.  The arrangement with the ring & chains to hold the poles is the same, I think, as K.C.'s.

For the legs at the base I used 1&1/4" PVC -- there's a 4-way inside far enough up so the 'feet' touch the ground.  The 4-way is stubbed out to the straight couplers on the outside of the 6".  I glued those in place, but the rest of the leg assembly is not glued so they can be removed for easy transport. The legs seem to work well to prevent tip over, but watch your feet while assembling the flag poles etc. I'll post a couple of pics of this part.

At the upper end about 4 inches below where the flag poles are inserted around the circumference, I stubbed a 1&1/4" to 1/2" T coupling so the center pole for Betsy Ross has a place to stand and I glued the end caps so it stays in place.  That might defeat storage of the flag poles in the center, but I wanted the display to be stable.  I'll put up pics on this too.

Otherwise, it's very close to Kimber's.  I used a 1&3/4" hole saw for the 1&1/4" inserts an a 1" hole saw for the 1/2" pipe holes.  I then 'milled' the pole holes to a 45 degree angle with a 1/2" regular bit in my cordless drill.  That was a nasty bit of work.

As I say, I'll post detail pics and dimensions in the next few days.  Gathering the hardware involved trips to half dozen stores to get enough!
fisherdawg
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

hogfamily

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners.

"Move that fat ass Henry!"
"Don't swing your balls or you'll swamp the boat!"

fisherdawg

Here's some additional detail if you want to build your own.  The reason the central 6" PVC is 58.5 inches is that the plumbing supply cut it so ragged I had to trim it square.  It would be even better at a full 60".

I cut off and taped over all the ends of the eye bolts for safety.

The chain braces are made of hobby chain and each is 20 links long.  I arrived at that length with a little trial and error.  The hobby chain links are too small to to go around the center ring inside the center post so I just zip tied them.  The 1/8" quick links are handy and captive.  I'm sure there are other options.

The center flag pole for Betsy Ross is 60" -- at least so far.  Maybe a little tall for some rooms -- we'll see.

Please PM me if you need any more detail

Pain Killer

"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison