News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Ramah - 17/18 May 14

Started by Gear Head Patriot, May 19, 2014, 03:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gear Head Patriot

Ramah Colorado was blessed with another weekend of great weather and awesome patriots.  Of our 13 students (coincidence....?), only 2 had previously attended an Appleseed clinic.  Our students at this weekends clinic also spanned the generations with our youngest weighting in at 9 years, and our oldest in the Samuel Whittemore range.  The important thing is everyone was safe, and motivated! 

Of note, we had our first in the field sighting of a Marlin Appleseed LTR.  The LTR was employed to good effect, and safely, by our youngest shooter.  While we also encountered a rifle new to all the instructors, an EAA Appeal in .22LR. 

The EAA Appeal is a bullpup, semi-automatic, magazine fed, bullpup rifle.  After having the owner show how the rifle operated, we had the opportunity to observe the Appeal in action.  Overall the rifle did well.  The adjustable length of pull was a nice feature, and it took to a sling well enough.  Any shooter considering the Appeal might want to add an optic, in the form of a red-dot or something more traditional to offset the very short sight radius of the picatinny rail, but other wise the Appeal fired on par with the other .22LR's on the line.  Here's a link to an online review:  http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/eaa-appeal-22-long-rifle-review 

Special thanks to our instructors, Colorado Boots, Massasauge, Colorado Pete, and Topcat.  Their individual instruction was instrumental in the dramatic improvements out shooters experienced over the course of the weekend. 

Gear Head Patriot

Our first sighting of a Marlin Appleseed LTR in the wild.

Gear Head Patriot

Massasauge giving the 1st Strike.

Gear Head Patriot

Slim's competition shirt rocks!

Gear Head Patriot

Speaking of Dangerous ol' Men! 

TheSonOfLiberty

This was my first Appleseed and I had a blast. Big props to all instructors. I will definitely come back again.