News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gurley, AL; May 3-4, 2014

Started by Maximum Ordinate, May 05, 2014, 11:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Ordinate

On Saturday May 3rd, fifteen shooters filled the line at Haven Farm in Gurley, Alabama.  We were blessed with the two nicest days of the year so far.  A group of happy and motivated shooters arrived bright and early to learn the quintessential American skill of precision marksmanship and hear the story of how Liberty was established in our Republic.

After the welcome, the First Strike by SureShot Spartan, and safety brief, we moved rifles to the line.  SureShotSpartan served as line boss and we listened to Living Hand share the the story of Captain Daniel Morgan.  Our shooters then set out to see if they would be cooks or Riflemen!  We had robust instructor crew for this event, including our lovely and talented Applecore support.  The instructor team focused on lots of one-on-one coaching with shooters.

Our shooters worked through a number of drills and gained skills and confidence with each string of fire.  Shooters established some good habits and tossed old bad habits to the side.  Our first group of five rounds resulted in some great groups - the shooters were clearly paying attention.  During our lunch break, Jay shared the story of Concord and the North Bridge in the Second Strike.  After lunch, we moved back to the line and continued the instruction, learning about carding the sights, Inches-Minutes-Clicks, and magazine change drills.  There were lots of great groups by the end of the day and we closed out shooting an AQT and a final Redcoat target.  The improvement between the morning and afternoon Redcoat targets was dramatic!  Saturday wrapped up with Living Hand sharing the Third Strike and everyone heard about farmers and blacksmiths forcing the Redcoats to flee to Boston.

Our intrepid shooters arrived Sunday morning ready for a challenge.  At 8:30, we began our review of yesterday's instruction and answered lots of great questions.  The shooters eagerly moved down to the range and we started with a Redcoat target.  By late morning, shooters knocked out their first AQT of the day. 

Lunch came and Ramblinwreck shared about Known Distance shooting.  We then heard inspiring stories about Dangerous Old Men, not all of whom were old or men!  Everyone on the line really applied themselves, and because we had good instructor coverage on Sunday... the Shoot Boss prodded the instructors to get down and knock out an AQT - both for practice and to shoot alongside our students. 

A special congratulations to Eddie, who scored Rifleman before lunch and followed it up with another qualifying score.  He's a man who knows what he's about!

To each and every shooter:  Remember those two things I promised you Saturday morning?  I hope we lived up to those expectations.  Thank you for the honor of serving you this weekend.  We hope you had a good time.  But more importantly, we hope that you learned more about our extraordinary heritage and go out and share that message of Liberty to those in your lives. 

To all my fellow instructors:  Thank you for coming out and making this a fantastic event.  Y'all are so awesome that you can even make a guy like me look good.   ;)

in Liberty,
Rusty

P.S.  Please feel free to add your comments and pictures!!!
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

SureShotSpartan

As Rusty stated, this was an excellent weekend! Thanks to all that joined us on the line and thanks for helping us strike a blow for Liberty! Now go forth and multiply!

BEAUTIFUL weather!

Morning Brief

Down range instruction on the proper use of the knife hand  :))

Focus your eye.....

Morning (R) to Evening (L) improvement!

Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams

SureShotSpartan

Defenders of Liberty

Wreck and Amy

Rusty and Eddie

gtengineer and Sugey

Rifleman Eddie

Young Patriot Katy

Our LIVELY group

Event volunteers
Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams

Rcknvj

Rusty, and all the other instructors,
Thanks so much for being willing to come out and teach. I don't remember a whole lot from my first AppleSeed two years ago, but I will definitely remember the skills and lessons taught to me this last weekend. The pain inflicted upon me is nothing compared to the injuries sustained by the Redcoats and colonists, or what I would have received if I hadn't learned how to shoot properly and safely. Plus, it's for the amazing cause of Liberty. Thanks to Jay for helping me step by step on Sunday, allowing drastically changing my AQT the next time around. Thanks also to Jacob for pretty much being my personal instructor on Saturday. :)
I enjoyed this past weekend so much. I hope to plan to come back in October with my dad, and hopefully brother, and even a girlfriend who is super interested (already!).
Thanks a lot, y'all!
Katy

SureShotSpartan

Huzzah Katy! Thanks for 7th Stepping!
Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

Crockett

Just wanted to follow up for this past weekend's Gurley Appleseed shoot 3-4 May 14.

I would HIGHLY recommend this event to anyone that is even slightly interested in becoming a better shooter.

I've been shooting for a while now both on my own and in the military and I learned a lot about my own abilities (and inabilities, for that matter) over the course of 2 days.

It really was a great time, Rusty and his crew put together a top notch event, and the instruction was extremely helpful as well as professional.

I honestly don't think there's a better value in fundamentals instruction. As long as you pay attention and go with a good attitude, you'll learn quite a bit and be GTG.

I did not get my rifleman patch over the course of two days but that's not what the experience is about.

However, I did greatly improve between day 1 and day 2. Top scores between the two days for me where 187, 197, 201, 203.

Rusty was generous enough to let me use one of his loaner 10/22's with the recommended Tec site system, and adjustable OD web sling.

I recommend doing it at least once without optics. The intent is to learn/relearn the fundamentals of marksmanship.

It never hurts to go back to the old school method once and a while.

Dave,
Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

"A pistol is what you carry when you do not expect a problem. If you expect a problem you can't avoid, and you are not taking a long gun, you are not very smart." - DM

GTEngineer

I would also like to give my congratulations to Eddie for his rifleman score!  Huzzah!  We hope to see you again at future events to hone your skills.  I learn something new at each event.

Sugey and Juan, you guys are doing great, just keep practing the steady hold factors (SHF) and NPOA, as you saw with your 3 shot cloverleaf hole, SHF and NPOA really works!  A rifleman persists!

Katy, it was a pleasure having you and your father sacrifice your weekend to join us to learn about Liberty and rifle marksmanship, you guys are doing great, keep practicing!  The greatest complement you can give us is to return with a friend.

Dave, as demonstrated by your scores, you are doing very well, it is not easy to achieve rifleman.  But keep in mind, a rifleman persists!  We hope to see you again at future events!

Living Hand, TNJay, SureShotSpartan, RamblinWreck, inSANEmom, Jacob, and Rusty, it was a pleasure working with you all and I am looking forward to seeing you again at the next event!  HUZZAH!
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;..."
Ecclesiastes 9:10

1st Appleseed: Nov 16/17, 2013. Gurley, AL
2nd Appleseed IIT0: April 19, 2014.  Rising Fawn, GA

KD:
May 24/25, 2015. Manchester TN

RFKD:
Aug 20/21, 2022. Bothell WA

Requal:
Sept 30, 2017 Custer, WA
Feb 9, 2020 Redmond, WA
Apr 11, 2021 Redmond WA

Pistoleer™:
Nov 23, 2019 Eagle Creek, OR

Pistoleer™ requal:
May 22, 2021 Parma, ID
Mar 12, 2023 Redmond, WA

NRA Rifle Instructor

Surveyor1653

That's a good looking Redcoat and group of shooters overall.  I grew up not too awfully far from Gurley. Cool seeing it in the feed.  Congrats to Bama's latest Rifleman!
Essayons!

"Liberty — the freedom from unwarranted intrusion by government — is as easily lost through insistent nibbles by government officials who seek to do their jobs as by those whose sole purpose it is to oppress; the piranha can be as deadly as the shark." - Judge Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court

EddieB

A friend of mine attended a Project Appleseed weekend several years ago and loved it.  I jumped at the chance when I heard Rusty speak about the May 3&4 clinic.  It was a weekend well spent.  The history of the birth of America was presented in a way that made it easy to picture.  Great storytelling skills! The marksmanship training was excellent and made me realize how many bad habits I've been carrying around.  Thanks for giving me the guidance to improve.  My son and I are registered for the Appleseed event in Guntersville this August, and I hope to see you all there.  -Eddie

tnjay

A big thank you to everyone - shooters and instructors - for coming out for a productive and fun weekend. 

What struck me most was hearing Raf and Duane share their feedback on the weekend.  The spirit of liberty is contagious, and the most satisfying aspect of Appleseed for me is seeing that spirit in others.  So thank you both for sharing.

To everyone else - it was a pleasure to work with you.  I look forward to seeing you again and spreading the message of freedom.

Jay