News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

one day COF

Started by Twineagles, April 12, 2014, 10:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twineagles

Here is what I have put together for a one day COF. Any comments to improve always welcome.

Mike
Every time I teach a class, I discover I don�t know something - Clint Smith

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. � John Wayne

2 clicks low

Something seems wrong. I see 1 DOM but no strikes? Must be a posting error.

I have been to several 1 day shoots with JOEZ. He runs the regular day 1 including all strikes, 2 AQT's and a DOM or two.

There is no trick to a 1 day. Just do your first day as you would normally do. Nothing to it.

2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Reload

The only Appleseed I have attended did not include an AQT on day one.  Of course all the shooters were scheduled to return for day two so that was probably part of the consideration for doing things the way the Shoot Boss decided to do them.  I'm glad to see that on a one day shoot we will attempt to get the opportunity to shoot a couple AQT's.  I know that at Ankeney on the 19th we will have at least a couple shooters who have attended previously.

Reload

Twineagles

The strikes will be part of the day. I just wanted to remember to include some DOMs so I added to schedule. It was the heritage that brought me back to shoot my second Appleseed along with the quality of the instructor's program.

Des Moines gunshow today ammo was in the $60 for a brick range which is an improvement over the $100 a couple of months back.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. � John Wayne

jmdavis

FYI:

As far as ammo goes, I have been ordering Eley Target and Eley club a few bricks at a time for the past year and a half at $65 to $75 per brick. Sometimes you have to call the vendor and ask if it is available because it doesn't always make it to the web. When I am training I shoot 1.5 to 2 bricks a month.

As far as the COF, with mostly new shooters, I would focus more on instruction and less on "the aqt grind." Every minute spent on quality instruction and conscientous dryfire will pay dividends when the students shoot an AQT.

It's also good to be able to fit a strike into spaces as short as 10 minutes. As a matter of fact, sometimes the shorter it is the harder hitting it is. If you have more time, you can use it (for example lunch). But if you only have 10 minutes, you should be able to cover the highlights in that time. This is especially true with strikes 2 and 3.

Mike
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

SteelThunder

Here's the 1-day we are running for April 19.  The focus will be to get only 1 AQT in...with the Memorial Volley, we'll be very time pressured so we are doing an abbreviated 1st strike (no more than 20 minutes) and a combined 2nd/3rd/DOM for lunch.  An other DOM in the afternoon...potentially combined with the Memorial Volley.

Use or discard any ideas you see attached.

NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

AFTERMATH

Don't forget the memorial volley! 

14:00 CDT, if I recall correctly.(Somebody please verify)
A good intro is to read off the first paragraph or two of the broadsides(should be in your shoot box)
Leading into something along the lines of:

At this very moment at X# of Appleseeds all across the country - Americans just like you are preparing to begin this simultaneous memorial volley, in remembrance of the fallen on April 19th, 1775.  You amongst thousands shall partake in grande attempt at honoring their sacrifice, via a volley - Can anyone tell me what a volley is? - Yes, indeed! It's when everyone fires at the same time.  In order to facilitate that, we will be calling out each fire command. 

Special line commands:

[name of fallen patriot]
AIM
FIRE

13rds on red coat.  Shot w/standard roundcount (Could share targets)

Shooters, prep 13 rds - Shooters! Your preparation period begins now!
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

SteelThunder

We are shooting this at 16:00 EDT, so if correct, that makes it 15:00 CDT. 
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Twineagles

Quote from: SteelThunder on April 14, 2014, 09:23:29 AM
Here's the 1-day we are running for April 19.  The focus will be to get only 1 AQT in...with the Memorial Volley, we'll be very time pressured so we are doing an abbreviated 1st sktirke (no more than 20 minutes) and a combined 2nd/3rd/DOM for lunch.  An other DOM in the afternoon...potentially combined with the Memorial Volley.

Use or discard any ideas you see attached.

Thanks for sharing very good amount of detail in the COF. I agree no rush to get to the AQT, there is a lot more important things to cover. I was hoping to get 2 official AQTs in and then let anyone stay later if they wanted to continue and grind some.

Mike