News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Reading Counts - History

Started by Oz, April 07, 2014, 02:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz

Folks with school age children might be familiar with the Scholastic "Reading Counts" program.  It rates books by difficulty to match them with students' reading levels, and assigns them point values.  In our public school district, kids are expected to reach a certain number of points each marking period by reading books and passing online quizzes.

Zazzles was just telling me how she is trying to figure out what to read this marking period.  I suggested Washington's Crossing.  We looked it up on the website and neither PRR nor WC are included (yet).  There is a place on the website where educators are encouraged to suggest books to be added to the Reading Counts database.  I thought I would pass this along in the hope that some educators in the AS community might take a few minutes to suggest these books (and any other good reads that might cross your mind).

I browsed for other RevWar titles and did not find any I was familiar with--no Philbrick's Bunker Hill, no Tourtellot, no Ferling's Almost a Miracle, no Fleming's Liberty,, no Galvin's The Minute Men.  If kids can read Gone With the Wind and the Harry Potter series for credit, surely a little genuine history would be good for them.  If there's going to be a list that kids are steered toward, better to be on it than off it!

http://teacher.scholastic.com/products/independent_reading/scholastic_reading_counts/community/suggest_quiz.asp
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

Fred

Great idea!

Sometimes I think the Great Victory of this program will be composed of thousands of little victories like this...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...