News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Column - "Program [Appleseed] plants seeds of responsibility"

Started by Viator, April 07, 2014, 12:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator

Hi folks,

Among other things, I write a regular (currently alternate Mondays) column for the Carroll County Times, and I'm proud that this column was published in today's edition:

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/columnists/opinion/tom_harbold/tom-harbold-program-plants-seed-of-responsibility/article_d259f147-6e9c-5c02-a65a-ac1f5a2b60e5.html

I'm hoping this might plant the seed of a thought in someone's mind that, hey, if Colorado can have Appleseed in the schools, why can't Carroll County? Or elsewhere in Maryland, for that matter...?

Yours in service,

Tom

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Ben Franklin

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." ~ George Mason

BeSwift

WOW! Thanks for the promo bump! Just by chance I'm close to getting AS going at a range in that neck of the woods! Gotta share on the FB page too...  BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

Prone to Knit

Nice, Tom!  I posted the link on the Craver Middle School AAR.

Kim
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org

Viator

Quote from: BeSwift on April 07, 2014, 10:53:04 PM
WOW! Thanks for the promo bump! Just by chance I'm close to getting AS going at a range in that neck of the woods! Gotta share on the FB page too...  BeSwift

My pleasure! Very glad to be of service to the cause. Which range, if you don't mind me asking? Now I just gotta get back there... *wry grin*

And thanks, Kim!  :-)  Seeing your userid and contrasting it to the (sadly) popular caricature of "gun culture" causes me to chuckle.

Tom
"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Ben Franklin

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." ~ George Mason

BeSwift

Unable to comment until it's official.. It's north of Frederick... :cool2:
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

MostlyHarmless

Let's see, north of Frederick-

I'm guessing it's probably not the Camp David trap range....
"Alas!! I spy a shooting bench and stool ahead in yonder treeline. Perhaps also there is a forefather with a rifle. I fear an ambush!"
-not overheard during the British retreat from Concord, Apr 19, 1775

TomM1Thumb

"Let's see, north of Frederick-

I'm guessing it's probably not the Camp David trap range...."

Laugh Out Loud, while Rolling On the Floor! the Truth is always stranger than Fiction.
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

FFJim

Quote from: MostlyHarmless on April 09, 2014, 09:40:54 PM
Let's see, north of Frederick-

I'm guessing it's probably not the Camp David trap range....

Fort Dietrich? FEMA? Gettysburg Battlefield?   :-X

Hope to hear official news soon!!!!
FF Jim
Dundalk, MD

MostlyHarmless

...but perhaps we should make ready that new SportingClaysSeed curriculum anyway.

Just in case.
"Alas!! I spy a shooting bench and stool ahead in yonder treeline. Perhaps also there is a forefather with a rifle. I fear an ambush!"
-not overheard during the British retreat from Concord, Apr 19, 1775

Viator

Quote from: BeSwift on April 09, 2014, 09:18:43 PM
Unable to comment until it's official.. It's north of Frederick... :cool2:

Any new news on this...?  :-)

BeSwift

Still nothing I can announce yet for Frederick..however.. I've now got things at least in the talking stage,  at just about every range between Hagerstown & Frederick.  BTW.. we HAVE gotten final approval for a nearby range in WV (Leetown IWLA), but don't have a specific date solidified yet..

BeSwift
Ralph Waldo Emerson