News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Survey of potential host ranges in EPH of WV

Started by Bruce in WV, April 03, 2014, 02:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce in WV

Started a survey of possible host ranges on the AR15.com hometown forum for WV. I think I know most of them, but am looking for those low profile folks that might be off the radar. Would appreciate any inputs from users here that can help identify ranges not on my list. We'll see where it takes us...
Thanks.

FiremanBob

Bruce, that's a great start. Be assured that if you can get a meeting with any range owners or clubs, we'll have experts there to represent Appleseed for you. BTW, you would make a great presenter for Libertyseed...
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

Bruce in WV

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_68/555581_.html&page=1&anc=6104176#i6104176

http://iwlawv.org/

There's a club membership meeting/dinner next week that I'm going to attend. I just want to broker a meeting between the club and Appleseed: I'm not knowledgeable enough to try to do more.
What materials should I download/print and take with me to help set up a meeting between the key club leader for training programs and experienced Appleseed staff?

EZ3

Sounds like there is no time to get some promotional tri-folds shipped to you.  If you want some for future endeavors, PM me your shipping info.  Hopefully, these will get you started.  Good luck!

Also attached is a local promotional flyer.  It can be modified to promote an event at their club.
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

Bruce in WV

EZ3- Thank you. Those examples will be helpful.

Bruce in WV

I went to our general membership meeting tonight and met with the club President and the Chairman of the Conservation Committee (which oversees training programs, among other things). They are very interested in hearing more from experienced Appleseed staff about sponsoring a shoot at our club near Charles Town, WV (see the link, above).
I need to pass along the contact information for the Committee Chair to someone 'official' in Appleseed. I would enjoy helping however I can, but cannot speak for either organization, and need to step back.

I used these materials as handouts:

FFJim

Kudos to Bruce for picking up the ball and running with it!!! It is this type of person that is needed to spread the program. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Jim
FF Jim
Dundalk, MD

Charles McKinley

Thanks for opening the door Bruce!

So who is close? It is 4.5 to 5 hours for EZ3 or me.  Any MD or VA people closer?

I'll PM the regional Coordinator Chainsaw.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Nero

Quote from: Stand on April 16, 2014, 11:57:35 PM
Thanks for opening the door Bruce!

So who is close? It is 4.5 to 5 hours for EZ3 or me.  Any MD or VA people closer?

I'll PM the regional Coordinator Chainsaw.

I think BeSwift is tracking this one.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

BeSwift

"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

Charles McKinley

Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Bruce in WV

I'm looking forward to a successful long term relationship between our club and RWVA/Appleseed. Thanks Brian!

BeSwift

Left a message for the contact you provided, and he hasn't gotten back to me. If you cross paths, please give him my contact # and email.. I'd LOVE to help get WV kickstarted again!  BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bruce in WV

I've got his business card from the Club meeting and will call him. Thanks for the update.

Bruce in WV

We did an informal presentation to the BoD and general membership last Tuesday at our monthly meeting. The club Conservation Comm Chair will invite the PA rep to come back next month for a more informed presentation that will lead to a vote on a first event/test case, probably using our newest rimfire range.

As an added 'cherry on top', the Chairman of the National IWLA Executive Board (Gary Meade, from Elkins, WV) was visiting and heard the presentation and took a tri-fold with him. It fits into the IWLA Strategic Plan and offers a nice teaming twist to the story. I'm sure he's heard about PA before, and this will reinforce the 'good news' aspects of working together.

I'm looking forward to maintaining the momentum on this. We're on track and moving forward.

FiremanBob

Bruce, it if helps at all with Mr. Meade, we in VA just completed our annual event at the IWL-Lynchburg. It was successful and safe.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

Charles McKinley

Very nice work!  There is an IWL in Oil City, PA that may be a good fit.  You may have opened a very big door.

MostlyHarmless

IWLA and Appleseed teaming up? Yes, I could see this going places.

Bruce, looking forward to hearing the results of the upcoming meeting. Please keep us posted. We certainly have some instructors who would be happy to come out and do a shoot in the WV EPH.
"Alas!! I spy a shooting bench and stool ahead in yonder treeline. Perhaps also there is a forefather with a rifle. I fear an ambush!"
-not overheard during the British retreat from Concord, Apr 19, 1775

BeSwift

Just a quick update.. I'll be presenting to the BOD Tues (tomorrow) evening. Initial indications from previous folks progress with the BOD is very promising.. Let's hope we can close the loop and make this happen tomorrow evening..
Thanks all to the local boots on the ground for getting us this far...   O0  With any luck I'll be updating with good news in the near future...   BeSwift
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bruce in WV

Thanks to Brian from Project Appleseed and our Conservation Committee Chair, BoD and general membership at the Leetown IWLA - Project Appleseed has been invited unanimously to use one of our ranges for a one-off event to see how it goes. There's every reason to expect that it will be a great success and will become a regular event. Date still TBD, but hopefully this calendar year.

Eroyle

Quote from: Bruce in WV on August 19, 2014, 09:55:30 PM
Thanks to Brian from Project Appleseed and our Conservation Committee Chair, BoD and general membership at the Leetown IWLA - Project Appleseed has been invited unanimously to use one of our ranges for a one-off event to see how it goes. There's every reason to expect that it will be a great success and will become a regular event. Date still TBD, but hopefully this calendar year.

Great news  Bruce in WV and congrats!
But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.  John Adams

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: Bruce in WV on August 19, 2014, 09:55:30 PM

This is very good news.  Kentucky is standing by to help.

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

FiremanBob

Bruce, it's inspiring to see how well you picked up the ball and ran with it after only one day at your first Appleseed. I hope to be able to come to your shoot.