News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Tips for a wet first appleseed -

Started by pglaeser, March 27, 2014, 08:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pglaeser

My cousin and I are scheduled for our first event this Saturday in Mechanicsville (outside of Richmond). 

Current forecast is for an all day soak with 1+ inch of rain and temps in the mid 50s.

Looking for advice on what to bring and how to prepare for a wet event. 

Many thanks,
Phillip

SteelThunder

• Tarp for the ground.  Stakes to hold the tarp down.
  • Rainsuit for you.  Wet bodies suck.  If you don't have a good one, go get a $20 PVC suit at the local Shop n' Rob.  A good rainsuit is worth its weight in gold though...don't cheat yourself.
  • Waterproof boots.  Wet feet suck
  • Layers.  Mid-50's or not, its easy to get cold in the rain.  Being cold sucks.  A Thermos of hot coffee/hot cocoa is nice too
  • Something to shield your chair/gear at the equipment line...even a golf umbrella will work fine.
  • Don't worry about your rifle...it will work in the rain.  Just make sure you field strip, dry, clean and oil after the event.
  • Enjoy.  Relish in the fact that you are learning under less than ideal situations.  Makes you a better rifleman.  I hosted a Winterseed up here in Michigan in January.  2 feet of snow on the ground, temps in the single digits, strong wind and blowing snow where we couldn't see the targets sometimes.  Made 5 Riflemen that weekend.
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

FiremanBob

Steelthunder's list is just about right. I would add a hat with a long rear brim or a hood on that waterproof jacket, so that the water doesn't run down your neck - especially in prone.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

jmdavis

When it's chilly and wet, you will want some warm food in addition to warm drink. Soup in a thermos would be good. The first time that I was at a Black Creek (Nov. 2008) shoot it was lows in the teens and highs in the low 30's with winds of 5-15 mph. One of the other instructors at the time brought a grill and we were able to have some warm food during lunch time.  Another time it started in the low 20's with snow and moved to the mid 30's turning to sleet and freezing rain.

The rest of my additions to the list would be:

Towel
Spare clothes
Spare socks
a couple of garbage bags (for the wet stuff)

Good luck. You are shooting in the tradition of Daniel Morgan's Riflemen and Patrick Henry's Hanover Militia.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

SteelThunder

Quote from: Rayne on March 27, 2014, 09:49:34 AM
Some good advice except for the tarp.  It will just hold the water and before long you will be laying in a pool.  Plus it becomes slippery when wet.  When it rains you will get wet, when it's cold you will be cold, when it's hot you will be hot, but there are ways to make sure you're not miserable. 

Rain gear, something to keep your ammo dry, hat with a brim, dry clothes for the ride home if you have very far to go. 

Enjoy your first of many Appleseeds, rain or not it will be a great weekend.

Depends on the situation.  If the range is pooling water, muddy, sandy...believe me, you are going to want a tarp or some other way to keep the goo out of the rifle to keep it working. If you have a sufficient mat, that may be sufficient.  Hard to go pew pew when you're digging sand out of your action.
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

George Hacker

Quote from: jmdavis on March 27, 2014, 10:02:06 AM
The rest of my additions to the list would be:

Towel
Spare clothes
Spare socks
a couple of garbage bags (for the wet stuff)

Good luck. You are shooting in the tradition of Daniel Morgan's Riflemen and Patrick Henry's Hanover Militia.

+100 on the spare clothes, socks, and shoes, especially if you have a long drive home.

The garbage bags can also be used for equipment, like your range bag and ammunition.

Your preparation will serve you well in the rain and help you have an enjoyable event, despite the foul weather. Have a great time!
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

hawkeye

Being prepared with the above items is important. Having the right mental attitude is important too, don't dwell on being in the rain focus on the task at hand. If you focus on being cold and wet your done for.  I shoot rain or shine, last match it was near freezing with a gusting 18mph wind. It was a challenge but I learned a lot about what not to do in those conditions. Have fun!   
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

pglaeser

Thanks for the responses.  I'm sure we will enjoy ourselves no matter the conditions. 

I'll plan on being over prepared and hope the rain isn't as heavy as forecasted. 

Maximum Ordinate

Lots of good advice above.  I only have one thing to add:

High humidity = more likely for glasses to fog up.  Consider some of that anti-fog stuff for your glasses.  It's frustrating laying there, waiting for the fire command, and watch your glasses fog up right before your eyes.   :wb:
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

JL

The set up at Black Creek is such that there is a covered area for your gear that doesn't come to the line with you, but you will be shooting from out in the open.  Looking forward to seeing you there!