News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Lapeer, MI March 22-23, 2014

Started by Superheat, March 22, 2014, 10:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superheat

The day started with adorning my Appleseed socks.  Yes I now have socks just for appleseeding.  Off to the range to make final preparations for the day.  Our team was large and excited to get going. With five preregistrations we were hoping for some walk ons.  The students were very attentive and did an outstanding job at learning what was taught.  The snow and ice was melting which kept us working to keep the students from submerging. 
Another challenge caused the me to race home. My sump pump failed and the water was rising.  After a couple of hours The pump was fixed and I was headed back to the range.
The team didn't miss a beat. 
It was a wonderful first day. What challenges will day two bring?  I can't wait to find out.

Day two was just as dramatic but in a much better way.  First it was COLD!  First shots down range at 9:03 with a temperature of 15 degrees F and 2 degrees wind chill.  Burrrr.  The day ended at 25 degrees f with 12 wind chill.  The Appleseed spirit triumphed.  Steve and Hank kept working on their positions and made excellent progress.  Jim and James arrived before lunch.  Both picked right up where they left off on Saturday.  There were a lot of small groups on the right side.   O0 
Hammer told a very moving rendition of Whittemore.   :bow:  Roundballer demonstrated the Brown Bess, outstanding as always.  Then it was off to learn and shoot KD.  Special thanks to Caliper and number6 for making this happen.  There was a 3 foot drift of snow/ice blocking our shooting.  In true rifleman spirit they overcame.

Johnathan scored rifleman with his bolt rifle and made it look easy.   Jim shot a 210 and was dully 'baptized' with water from the North Bridge.  HUZZAH! 
Another great weekend with some of the best people on earth.  Thank you to all the students who spent the weekend restoring our AMERICAN heritage. 
I look forward to seeing you all on the Appleseed trail. (next time lets do it in warmer weather)

Superheat

Some of the best people on earth

Line boss mrsurplus

Prone Saturday morning

Whippet

This was a great group of shooters. They all remained even keeled and stood steadfast during the natural ups and downs that come during an Appleseed event. Everyone accepted (and integrated) instruction and suggestions as the event progressed. I hope they all come back soon because their progress was good and I am excited to see how how they develop.
1. Point the sights where they need to be pointed
2. Keep 'em there while you squeeze the trigger.
3. Repeat

Choose wisely and do your best at whatever you find yourself doing. (Whippet, 1997)

Farm girl / Rochelle

One of the best Appleseed events that I have been at! As always, the event was well planned from start to finish, thanks Superheat, instructors were fantastic and the shooters had a lot of fun and were eager to learn.  I am not typically an emotional person but I got very choked up with Hammer did his story of Whittemore, very inspirational!  I am looking forward to seeing my new friends in Fenton in two weeks.  Thanks to everyone that made this event safe and enjoyable.
Rochelle
"If you want something you'll find a way, if not you'll find an excuse"...Superheat

Hammer Forged

A True Michigan Winterseed!

Saturday morning safety briefing

First Red Coat

L' Moose debating if he should shoot or swim...

number 6 - telling the story of the First Strike

Whippet & IMC

Whippet and the Six Steps

ICEMAN - 3rd Strike

The First of Three Winterseed Patches - it's only fitting that it was given to ICEMAN

George wooing the crowed with his Smooth Bore Musket Skills

Superheat's IMC Sunday Refresher

James hung in there and made impressive improvements over the weekend, despite the cold

Jim shot a 210 and was dully 'baptized' with water from the North Bridge.  HUZZAH! 

Johnathan scored rifleman with his bolt rifle and made it look easy

Instructor Dinner

And YES! Some of the best people on earth!

Tinnitus?    No, its Liberty calling!

"Those who HAMMER their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

3-Dog

This was my first Appleseed and I was not disappointed.  The instructors were patient and always ready to answer any questions our group had.  It was a thrill for me to see the passion that each one had for the entire process.  As a history buff, I was drawn to Appleseed for the emphasis placed on this portion of our American Heritage and have to agree wholeheartedly that the information we were given this past weekend should still be taught in our schools.  Sadly, I am in a growing minority.  I feel Appleseed is the most effective way I have encountered to combat this.  Honestly, I cannot say enough good things about the entire experience and have been passing out brochures and telling everyone who will listen what a great time it was for me.  I will be bringing my son back with me and I have every intention of earning my Rifleman patch and becoming an instructor myself.  Many thanks to all who participated, shooters and instructors alike.  Can't wait to return!