News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Checking in, and request

Started by Viator, March 22, 2014, 09:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator

Hello all,

Appleseeder and Maryland native here, currently living in Maine. Attended my first (and so far only) Appleseed here in the Pine Tree State, and although I only made it through the first of two days (was sick as a dog the second day and had to stay home), it won't be my last! In fact, if or when I make Rifleman, I hope to walk the Instructor trail. But that's down the road a bit!

Right now, I'm trying to come home to Maryland. You may wonder about that: here we have Constitutional carry, no major restrictions on type of firearms or size of magazines, "shall issue" for CCW, etc. But I'm Maryland born and bred, and I feel the Chesapeake Bay, the rolling hills of my native Piedmont Plateau, and many other things calling me home. Not to mention have a lot of friends, and most of my family, in the Old Line State.

Here's the problem: in order to live, I need a job, and that's easier said than done. ideally, I'd like to do something having to do with marksmanship, freedom, and/or 2nd Amendment issues, but I know such positions are scarcer than hen's teeth. Most of what I've been doing since 1998 has had to do with outdoor or environmental education, at places like the Carroll County Outdoor School, Piney Run Park and Nature Center in Sykesville, Cunningham Falls State Park in Thurmont, natural resources conservation with the local chapter of Pheasants Forever, or sustainable agriculture education across the border up in Pennsylvania. I'm also a published writer and columnist, and a good public speaker. But I'm open to a range of options, at this point.

If anybody has any ideas, suggestions, or best of all, leads, I'd be most grateful. There are aspects of being up here in Maine that I like a lot (dark nights, clear air, and "lobstahs" among them), but I'm definitely ready to come home. My apologies if this post was in any way out of line, just hoping for a little help from my Appleseed "family"!  :-)

Respectfully,

Tom (Viator)
"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Ben Franklin

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." ~ George Mason

Charles McKinley

Hi Tom,

It is definitely "When" you shoot the score.

Pennsylvania offers many of the things you like about Maine and could put you close to your family and friends.

There are a number of environmental jobs in PA.  Fire arms people don't seem to be very well liked in MD at the moment.  If you can work to change that that would be great.

Possibly look into doing political lobbying professionally.

I'm on the Western end of PA but there are a lot of AS family in the south east part of the state.

Let me know if I may be of assistance,

Stand
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Viator

Thanks, Stand, for those encouraging words! And especially about the "When"!  :-)

Certainly haven't ruled PA out, especially in the south-central region (York-Adams Counties)... but of course, that'd be acquiescing to the situation in Maryland, rather than working to change it. Still, it's a good thought!

So is political work... hadn't really thought about that, but it's definitely a possibility.

Again, thank you, and if you know anybody in the York-Adams area or nearby, and don't mind passing my info on to them, I'd be grateful. Many thanks!

Tom
"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Ben Franklin

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." ~ George Mason

Unbridled Liberty

Viator,

Check this out; http://www.nssf.org/jobs/index.cfm  Hogue has a remote "firearm content writer" job open.

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Viator

Darn!!! I may have missed this... checked the site, but did not see that position. Thanks for the link, though - now that I know it's there, I'll check it more often!