News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Pronunciation of MA places

Started by SovereignCitizen, March 21, 2014, 07:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SovereignCitizen

I lived in MA for a few years.  Some places are spelled one way, but pronounced differently.  I caught a couple of those names last weekend in Macon.

The ' in the names below is the dominant syllable.

Woburn: Say as Woo'-bin
Lechmere: Say as Leech'-meer

other MA places that can throw you for a loop (see http://www.worcestermass.com/pronounce for a more complete list):
Leominster: Say as Lem'-in-stir
Worcester: Say as Woos'-ter
Natick: Say as Neigh'-tic
Newton: Say as Newt'-un
Pepperell: Say as Pep'-ril
Reading: Say as Red'-ing
Stoneham: Say as Stone'-m

Mark Davis

How about proper pronucation of Concord?

509gman

"What! what! men, dodging this way for single bullets! What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist-"
Last words of Union Gen. John Sedgwick, before he was killed by a Confederate sniper.

Guardian

Niskibum

Are we learning how to pronounce these names from someone that likes to Pahk the Cah at Hahvad Yahd then go have a couple be-ahs at the bah?   :)

PaleRider

"And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him." Rev 6:8