News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

UN Shoot 25 October

Started by wildman, September 30, 2008, 03:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildman

Time to bring to your attention that the UN Shoot is coming up 25 October. This is last event before the KWSC in December and your last chance to get ready for it. If you remember this year we had a good deal for those of you that come to the pop-up on a regular basis. The deal was attend 3 paid shoots and shoot the KWSC free. That is a savings of $45.00 bucks. There are several of you that have two shoots and you need this one to get the deal. So be there!!

If you are planning to shoot the KWSC and are shooting at reduced distance on your home range you need this full distance practice to get ready. As always we will get zeros in the am and spend the pm on the pop-ups. Last year we discovered how much fun and great practice it is to shoot pumpkins at 400+ yards. So get a pumpkin and bring it on. The pumpkin should be about 6 to 8 inches in diameter not too big and not too small the size of your head is about right. Yes I promise we will run counter-attacks until you get tired.

Are you listening Talon? At the WW2 SC my grandmother could have beat me so what are you waiting for.

Oh yes I forgot to mention that the special training that has been added to this event. We will have a practical exercise in field fortifications. This a special skill we all need to know so bring your e-tool to get in on this rare opportunity.
This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC

AZRedhawk44

Is this annual?  Man, I'm putting this on the calendar for next year!

And are the pumpkins... painted... blue? ;D

Maybe I'll do a mini-UN shoot out here in AZ that weekend just to be ornery and supportive!

wildman

Paint them blue and call'em smurfs, you could, hadn't thought of that. Here at Ramseur the range is laid out on an azimuth of 135 degrees that can create some light problems so the pumpkin color works out real well. It's a pretty small target at 450 yards. Good luck!
This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC

Matt

:o Ooh, tempting. Where do we sign up? I didn't see an event for it on the Eventbrite sign up page.
Liberty is my father, and he shall be my son.

hawkeye

I got my pumpkin,ammo and rifles ready,oh and my e-tool. I remember that first fortification class at Fort Polk, man we dug a lot of holes in that place. Love that counter attack can't have more fun than that. I'll bring my usual group of shooters. Can't wait
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

wildman

Rifleman 14 this is not an Appleseed program. These shoots are sponsored by the RWVA which is the sponsoring organization of the the Appleseed program. Fred out of the kindness of his big heart allows us to post on this site. So you don't sign up...you show up. It helps me to know if your coming and I must know in advance if you want to camp. If you need to camp please talk to me using the private msg. system. 

Where: The RWVA Range in Ramseur NC
When: October the 25th start at 08:30
What to bring: A military type centerfire rifle at least 200 rounds of ammo and what ever comfort items you may require. Sorry I don't want to hurt any ones feelings but we have found AKs just don't shoot accurately at the distances we shoot. Please no rifles over .32 cal. and no class threes. You will also need something to carry ammo in for the counter attack exercise. Some of us use LBE. 
Cost: $45.00

You will also need to bring some level of skill this is not for beginners. If you can't shoot 4 MOA or very close to that you won't hit anything but dirt. Go to an Appleseed. We can and will help you if you are having a problem but we can't turn you into a rifleman in the short amount of time we have on Saturday. If you have doubts about your skill level PM me and we can talk about it.

What are your questions?

Matt

None Drill Instructor! I'll be there!

wildman

Talon, one of my old platoon sergeants use to say, "if the shoe fits wear it." Sergeant Sam didn't have to say it but if the shoe doesn't fit then it doesn't apply to you.   

Good news boltgun bring that old rascal we will have a large time.

Nickle

Careful, I had one of those "AK on Steroids" on the line this past weekend at Proctor, a RomAK 3 (called a Romanian Dragunov, but technically an AK) and he came closer and closer to making it. He was even shooting Bulgarian Light Ball (7.62x54R), and if he had been using decent handloads, he might just have made it.

But, this sounds like a challenge.

For the record, has ANYBODY shot Rifleman yet with an AK (I know it's been done with an SKS)?
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

wildman

Come on fellows let's not turn this to a debate on the merits or lack of them for the AK. Please lets just leave it at that.

Nickle

Oh, I'd never do that. Just trying to rope Talon in for you. ;)
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Redwolf

Loading up and getting ready, this will be the first UN shoot for me. I may have my son-in-law talked in coming. Let him get bit me the bug. ;D   

wildman

Koma

Wildman, any pan biscuits this shoot? If so I'll be early for sure.

wildman

The only thing I am promising is one heck of a good time on the range. Don't forget your pumpkin.

Redwolf

Just what size pumpkin should we bring?

wcmartin1

Quote from: Redwolf on October 20, 2008, 08:20:41 PM
Just what size pumpkin should we bring?

Probably depends on your confidence level.  ;D
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

wildman

What ever you are comfortable with. The smaller the pumpkin the bigger the bragging rights. I'll be shooting at pumpkins about the size of my head.

We are also going to try something new that everyone should get a big kick out of it and learn something as well. We are going to practice quick shooting at high threat targets at close range.  I have wanted to do this for some time. We will get on the 100 yard berm and bring up targets at 200. You have maybe 3-5 seconds to engage the target from standing.

I'll be out of the net come Thursday so questions posted Thursday PM won't be answered by me. I'll ask Hawkeye to monitor the net and pick up anything important.

See you at the range.

techres

Quote from: Nickle on October 01, 2008, 03:47:10 PM
For the record, has ANYBODY shot Rifleman yet with an AK (I know it's been done with an SKS)?

More than once, and at my first Appleseed I witnessed it myself.  To my knowledge it was always with a nice 5.45x29 AK74 not a 7.62x39 AK47 or 7.62x51R Romak variant.

Now, back on track...
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

wildman

My comment concerning AKs was a suggestion not a rule if anyone wants to use one I have no problem with it.

techres

This shoot sounds like a hoot!  If someone wanted to reproduce it elsewhere, what is the course of fire?  Do you just set up Pumpkins and take turns on hitting them or is it more structured than that?
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Redwolf

It sounds like the game is on. ;D//

wildman

Each shooter will engage his own pumpkin at a range selected by the shooter. The objective is to hit the target using as few rounds as possible. One shot at 450 yards is pretty good. Every rifleman should strive to be able to do that. The pumpkin shooting happens along with the other events not in place of them.

wildman

Talon are you trying to offend me? You have failed. I will see you at the range bring your best you will need it.

MCKNBRD

Dang...2 minor problems...I don't have a military style centerfire and I have to work.

Ya'll have fun!

Byrdman
Its better to sweat in peace than bleed in war.

Guns and Ammo...between them, they get all the money my wife lets me have!

wildman

Bird you will have to fix that 91/30s sell for under a 100 bucks and the is plenty of cheap ammo out there. I have one and it shoots quite well.

Nickle

Considering that the top 2 (and maybe more) snipers of all time used Mosin Nagants is an indicator to their effectiveness. Simo Hayha used an M28 Finnish Mosin (with just iron sights) to cull 545 or so Russians in the "Winter War" (Russo-Finnish Was, 1940), over about 6 months.

wildman

True the Finnish 91/30 have an excellent reputation. Where there is the will there is a way. I gave away all my east bloc 7.62x54R ammo the stuff I had was worthless. I found the Brown Bear heavy ball to be quite alright. I'll have to break out that rifle and shoot it someday.

Matt

Current forecast as of Thursday afternoon, courtesy of AccuWeather.com:

Friday, Oct 24
High: 60 °F Mostly cloudy and cool; a touch of afternoon rain
Night: Low: 52 °F Breezy with rain

Saturday, Oct 25
High: 65 °F Rain ending in the morning; mostly cloudy
Night: Low: 45 °F Clear

Sunday, Oct 26
High: 69 °F Mostly sunny
Night: Low: 46 °F Partly cloudy

Bring your wet wear!

Redwolf

I have my pumpkin see-> :D. Packed and ready to go.