News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed vs Sniper's Hide.

Started by JoeZ, March 16, 2014, 09:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeZ

Greetings all,
   The JMJ Farm in Bowler WI is hosting a designated marksman match May 9th and/or 10th. A two-mile, seven stage course will test you, your kit, and your preferred shooting discipline whether it is traditional American riflery  (Appleseed) or precision riflery (Sniper's Hide). Ranges vary from 100 yards to 600+ yards and field position shooting will be required; i.e. standing, seated/kneeling, and prone. The goals of the match are to practice rifle marksmanship under some stress, debug your kit in the field, and teach a bit of American history.  Appleseeders will instantly recognize the Hits Count stage and Hide members will be familiar with the Know Your Limit sort of thing. You need only be at one of the days. The match will be kid and spouse friendly, having a 22LR "simulation" of each stage for them that the high power shooters engage. I might even have a class ready for the kids/spouse teaching the Streloc app with a 22lr long range simulator. A $200 donation will be made to the winning discipline's champion website and a $100 donation to the second best in appreciation for all that they do for the shooting community.

The cost to shoot for score will be $25 but the cost to compete for score and prizes will cost $100. You may retry (even a different discipline) for $25. The top competitor in each discipline will receive their money back plus half of the fee paid by competitors in the same. A second place in each may be awarded his money back plus 10% of all like competitors if the event is well attended.

Any questions or sign up request can be directed to JoeZ via pm or phone call or email. Thank you for your interest.

•   All persons will be required to follow the safety rules.
•   All persons must submit a hold JMJ Farms harmless agreement.
•   Shooters will not be required to walk the course, UTV and ATV rides available.
•   22lr rifles will be at each stage, but you may bring your own.
•   Only the first try counts for standings and prizes.
•   RSO's shoot for free, pm me for a spot as I need more.
•   The entire course of fire will be under 100 rounds per try.
•   Winnings and donations to the websites are the minimum and may increase based on attendance and competitors.
•   Majority of targets will be steel Army "D" so no steel wrecking hyper velocity or giant 50 cal cartridges.
•   I sincerely hope I haven't stepped on any toes with this project.
"What is she, that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the Moon, elect as the sun, terrible as the army of a camp set in array?" Canticle of Canticles 6:9

hawkeye

This is a great idea to get the Appleseed word out. My son and I just completed a Precision Rifle series match in Apex N.C. I saw about 10 people there that have been to the Ramseur Appelseed events. I've been working others over to get them to bring there families to a Appleseed. These events are a good test of your kit and ability to adapt to different positions, after all we don't live in a prone world.    I'm going to start working on getting a similar event at one of the designated marksman match that are held there. Here's some photos of the PRS match to give you an idea of the platforms we shoot from.
https://www.facebook.com/WoodysMatch/photos_stream
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h38nzEbXDCA#t=18
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

JoeZ

A big part of this is to get the Appleseed name out, so if anyone else is interested in holding this type of event, I think the name should be the same or very similar. It may give us a more unified, organized look. Appleseed vs AR15.com and so forth.

Thanks for the support Hawk,
JoeZ
"What is she, that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the Moon, elect as the sun, terrible as the army of a camp set in array?" Canticle of Canticles 6:9

fepowered

There seems to be some interest over on ARFCOM, but people are waiting for more details on the course of fire..
"Today, we need a nation of Riflemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

AFTERMATH

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Reckless Rick

I am all in thanks for hosting,anyone can get a hold of me for carpooling or a  motorcycle ride to Bowler
Look,Listen and support...not always the easiest

JoeZ

Camping...yes
Lodging...yes for Appleseed instructors.

Starts at 8:00 AM;The course of fire is the same for either discipline, show up, do admin, get briefed, go shoot. There will be no general briefing. Your first try is for score, but you may retry all you like, even choosing the other discipline. Day 2 is just more time to squeeze people in, nothing new.

All targets are steel, a hit = 1 point

Stage 1; Captain Isaac Davis and the Acton Minutemen
   Standing, 100 yds, 10 rounds max, 2 minutes, Army D target.
   Win by score; no tiebreaker; top scores +3

Stage 2; Daniel Morgan's Challenge
    Prone, 100-400 yds, 13 rounds max, 1 minute, 4 army Ds + a bucket.
   Win by score; tiebreaker by shortest time; winner +3

Stage 3; Timothy Murphy Knew His Limit
   Prone 6 rounds, seated 6 rounds, 300-650 yards, no time limit
   Win by score, no tiebreaker, to scores +3

Stage 4; Ambush at Miriam's Corner
   Prone, 600-200 yds, no round limit (must hit 10 targets)
   Win by shortest time, winner +3

Stage 5; Stay Loose Though Adhering
   Seated, 300 yds, No round limit( 10 hits required) 1 minute, 1 army D target
   Win by shortest time, winner +3

Stage 6; A Man's Home Is His Castle
   Bring a pistol; you're going to need it here.

Stage 7; Parker's Revenge
   Any position, 100 yds, 10 rounds, 1 minute
   Win by score, no tie breaker, top scores +3

ItsanSKS

JoeZ, that sounds like an absolute blast.  (pun fully intended)

I'm not sure how stages 3 & 4 are supposed to work, but look forward to the videos!  You will have videos, right? 

"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

AFTERMATH

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

grunt soldier

sounds like a very awesome event.  any Idea how many folks from the hide are talking about showing up right now?  I can't make this one but am very interested to see how it goes.  definitely please do video if you can.
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

fepowered

Quote from: JoeZ on March 19, 2014, 09:56:44 PM
....you may retry all you like, even choosing the other discipline....

What am I missing?  What defines each discipline?  Is one irons and one optics????
"Today, we need a nation of Riflemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are

Trig

1st Appleseed - Osage Beach MO, 4/17/10- special thanks to Longshot, ThorsHammer, and JungleGeorge
2nd Appleseed - Lodi WI - Rifleman/Orange Hat 4/17/11 - special thanks to Dragonfly, Mr. Natural, Lady Vetch, and Trisha
IT1 - Hubertus WI, 5/7/11
IT2 - Racine WI, 6/11/11
IT3 - Suamico WI, 6/18/11
IT4 - Racine WI 8/7/11     ***KD Rifleman*** special thanks to Colycat and JoeZ
Red Hat - Hubertus 8/13/11
Shoot Boss - Lodi WI 6/10/12  *thanks to all I have learned/stolen from on my journey* Special thanks to Dfly and Coly *
********************Better Americans today, better America tomorrow!********************

JoeZ

Discipline will be decided by sling use. Appleseed discipline will use slings and no other support and Sniper's Hide will use bipods and such with no sling use.

Optics or irons doesn't matter.

I guess I'm brining a camera. :)

Response here has been high compared to over on The Hide, but I did expect that. I'm hoping a couple of Appleseeders I know who do well at precision rifle help out team SH.

JoeZ

fepowered

Are the targets all know distance targets?
Are you saying that the Precision Riflery discipline class shooters are not allowed to use slings for off-hand, sitting or kneeling?    I am trying to understand their style of shooting other than using bipods/bags etc in prone.

FreedomV

I am planning on Saturday May 10
Scott
Illegitimi non carborundum

JoeZ

All targets will be known distance.

JoeZ

A sample of the stage COF.

JoeZ

Directions to the JMJ Farm:

Enter the following into your map program;
" County Rd D and County Rd J, Bowler WI"

From there go north on County D ¼ mile to the first driveway east(right).

fepowered

Thanks Joe!!  That was very enjoyable.  It is an excellent course of fire and nicely laid out. If I was not working, I would be there today shooting it at least a couple of more times... :)

JoeZ

I'm glad to have been of service as this event seemed very well received by the attendees and all were very appreciative.

Here are the final scores and assessment. All shooters used self-loading rifles (semi-auto).

NAME      SCORE      DISCIPLINE      RIFLE
JoeZ             80              AS         Scoped 308
Ed F             60              AS         Scoped 223
Dan L           57              SH         Scoped 223
Mike D          56              SH         Scoped 308   
Joe B             52              SH         Scoped 223
Mike H          49              SH         Scoped 308
Mike E          43              SH         Scoped 223
Rick P           37              AS         Irons 308

Shooters using Appleseed discipline averaged 59.67 points per.
Shooters using Sniper's Hide discipline averaged 51.4 points per.

The aggregate of the top three ASers was 179.
The aggregate of the top three SHers was 165.

I used two criteria for determining the winner, allowing room for a tie.

Appleseed discipline has been declared the winner.

The simulated course results are as follows;(they all used SH discipline and had help from the Strelok app)
NAME/AGE      SCORE      
Fred Z (age 14)    61
Emily Z (age 16)   58
Mattias L (age 11)   48

A big congrats to all the shooters and a huge thank you to Rick who spent two days helping me put this on.

ItsanSKS

"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

fepowered

JoeZ

Rick lost 10 whole points on a target hidden under some heavy pines. The target was grey and it was dark under there and to be using irons with that black front sight was tough. He smiled, and laughed and said "what a great target".

I'm still working on the pics.