News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

St. Augustine, March 8-9, 2014

Started by 9mm4545, March 11, 2014, 10:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

Quality will trump quantity in many instances. The shoot at St. Augustine was such an example. I have been asked by people why we do Appleseeds weekend after weekend. It cannot be for the money, fame, glory, or recognition. We do it because the idea of Appleseed is worth teaching; because we see the smiles and attitude of success in the students we reach. We do it because it is a cause we believe will save our country. The three students were outnumbered by instructors at the Ancient City Gun Range. This made for a very informal setting and gave the opportunity to interact to a degree much greater than usual. With the usual safety briefing and details of line commands, safe rifle, and a brief statement of purpose quickly accomplished, we go down to the business of making marksmen. Building upon the Six Steps came how to make a more solid position using a sling and early on, the concept of Natural Point of Aim was introduced. The groups shrank and our efforts were rewarded. During the weekend we shared the story of April 19th, 1775. I have told this story countless times now and I still feel my heart touched that Liberty was so important to those people of so long ago that they would challenge their own government--the most powerful nation and military on earth at the time--to preserve the jewel known as Liberty. In the history of the world the battle against tyranny is never-ending and it is our great fortune that the American Revolution turned out as it did. By the final shot on Sunday afternoon we had seen remarkable improvement and perhaps a better understanding of the Revolution that gave birth to our country.

Summer, your enthusiasm is unstoppable and you are growing into a fine marksman. Keep up the good work and we will see you next weekend in Bunnell. Cam, you and Jessica were a delight to meet and work with. 10 minutes a day doing "Rifleman's Yoga" (aka "dry fire") while chanting the sacred Six Steps to Firing the Shot and relaxing into your NPOA will leave you refreshed, flexible, and much more accurate the next time you are at the range. And remember, your trigger finger is not meant for dancing...

Here are a few pictures that Rambo Granny snapped.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

FLawyer

It was truly a rewarding weekend.  Summer (age 10) started on Saturday as a designated marksman using the pistol grip of her rifle as a monopod.  As she gained confidence she became more determined and by the end of the weekend was shooting all positions properly.  Standing was a challenge, but as Janet's pictures show, she persevered.  I look forward to seeing her again in Bunnell next weekend.

I hope that Cam and Jessica enjoyed their father-daughter weekend as much as all the instructors enjoyed working with them. 

Huzzah.

Evan, Gloria, Bruce, Janet - Thank you for making the weekend such a success for our shooters. 
All men have been endowed by their Creator with the unalienable right to keep and bear arms.  All we have do is protect it.

Molon Labe!