News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

So what's it sound like to get shot at?

Started by Hop, March 11, 2014, 12:23:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hop

I forgot I had this video.  I had never worked in the pits before.  For those who have never heard the sonic crack off a bullet fired from 400 yards away...

http://youtu.be/AA_1idiX0bI

So this has saved my life several times now while playing Battlefield4.  I now run to cover when I hear this in the game.   **)

SPQR

You play BF4?  No high speed Web in the hills or I would be Rockin it with you.  Maybe this fall.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Turtle

where is this appleseed done where they actually shoot at 400 yards?

slim

That's from Camp Atterbury Joint Maneuver Training Center about 45min south of Indianapolis. It's a Guard base that lets us civilian pukes come on and shoot some big guns at actual distance.

I encourage you to read the After Action Reports from Camp Atterbury to find out more information. Then come out and join us for the next one!  :---

Turtle

good enough reason to plan a weekend get away... normally the local appleseed is 6 hours of driving for 2 days and camping out this would be like 7 or 8 will for sure put this on my to do list

grunt soldier

There are several other KD ranges also that may be closer turtle. Red brush in southern indiana also goes out to 500. There are also many in other states to.
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

Surveyor1653

I'm coordinating teaching a free CHL class to servicemembers and dependants at Camp Gruber here in OK, and have talked to them briefly about PA. 

Does someone have a contact name & number for the POC at Camp Atterbury?  I'd like to turn my Gruber POC onto those folks for a reference on how that relationship works with the guys at Atterbury.  It would be pretty sweet to have access to the Gruber ranges for KD events and if someone who knows our program already can be our salesman, that's all the better.  Feel free to PM with contact info after you've confirmed with them that they're okay with you sharing.

Thanks,
Michael
Essayons!

"Liberty — the freedom from unwarranted intrusion by government — is as easily lost through insistent nibbles by government officials who seek to do their jobs as by those whose sole purpose it is to oppress; the piranha can be as deadly as the shark." - Judge Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court

Unbridled Liberty

For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

slim

Quote from: Surveyor1653 on March 11, 2014, 11:39:49 AM
Does someone have a contact name & number for the POC at Camp Atterbury? 
Shoot a PM to yellowhousejake.

jmdavis

One thing that we used to do in KD was "Crack, bang" or "crack, thump". When you hear the supersonic crack in the pits, you begin counting outloud as fast as you can until you hear the muzzle report. The number that you get is an semi-accurate estimate of distance. If you do ever hear yourself being shot at, you can use that information.

Obviously on a range with 30+ shooters, it's not that useful. What I have noticed however is that with practice you can tell the shots on your target from those of the targets to either side. This is a useful skill at places like Camp Perry and Atterbury where you don't have an impact berm behind the targets when you are working the pits in slowfire (which is pull and mark each shot).

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Surveyor1653

Essayons!

"Liberty — the freedom from unwarranted intrusion by government — is as easily lost through insistent nibbles by government officials who seek to do their jobs as by those whose sole purpose it is to oppress; the piranha can be as deadly as the shark." - Judge Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court