News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ottawa, IL Sept 25-26

Started by Garand69, September 29, 2008, 06:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garand69

Another excellent AS in Illinois!!!! While attendance was low, I do not beleive any other Appleseed in the Nation this weekend had the Attendee to Rifleman Ratio that we did!!!!!!!!!!

Now bear with me a second, I may begin rambling on due to a wicked cold.

I'm sure The Guy and Pappy will add more, they were there both days. I was only able to make it Sunday due to work.

But I walked into the main building at Buffalo Range to sign in, and I asked how the turn out was as I was filling out the waiver. My heart sank at the numbers, "I think two yesterday, and three today". That tid bit of info and the lack of sleep over the last week probably provided the inspiration for The Guy's comment as I walked up to the firing line, " Garand, you look like..........."

While The Guy looked a tad haggard as well from from his recent travels on Appleseed trail, (don't tell him I said that), he was still upbeat, as was Pappy, so as a Rifleman does, I decided to persist.

3 shooters on the line, all return Appleseeders and one already a Rifleman but dedicated to improve his skills (when are you going to become an IIT Doc???;D ). Everyone was shooting quite well and the two shooters seeking the coveted Rifleman patch, a Father/Son team to boot, kept persisting and persisting.

The Father ( I totally apoligize for not remembering names, but hopefully someone will yell at me and provide the info), had a brand new Remmy 597 .22lr semi-auto. He was shooting some really impressive groups with it, but every AQT had enough bad with the good that he was just missing it. It was hard to imagine with some of his sub inch groups, but he kept shootin' short of Rifleman. Then it happened............

His Son hit Rifleman! His Son was also nipping on the heals of first Sharpshooter and then Rifleman and every target had a glimmer of hope that kept his spirit up. First it was overall group size shrinking, then it was two impacts touching on every silouette, then it was a couple of silouettes with three touching, etc etc Then it was Rifleman!!

For the Father, at one point or another, The Guy, Pappy, and I, had given him greif over his trigger control and follow through, then his zero moved on him. This was actually a good thing because it brought much needed attention to that shiney new Remmy!  I'm not sure if it was Pappy or The Guy who first pulled the trigger on that poor rifle, but it was the topic of discussion for quite some time afterwards!!

How bad could that trigger be? Well, Pappy took a canvas bag and tied a string into loop connecting the trigger to that bag, then had the Son start putting full water bottles into the bag until the trigger released. I beleive it was six full water bottles!!! But that wasn't the worst of it, when you slowly released the trigger to catch the sear, the trigger wouldn't even follow your finger until you were almost totally off of it and then it would bounce against your finger!! The Guy was cocking the rifle, putting his finger on the trigger and them smacking his finger and the trigger still would not release!

Well, with groups like he was shooting, despite that horrible trigger, action needed to be taken. Doc loaned him his tricked out 10/22 and after an AQT or two to get used to a 2lb trigger, his Son presented him with a Rifleman Patch!

100% Rifleman to Attendee ratio!

As for the Attendance, that falls on me. Last minute scheduling on the weekend of both the Northern and Southern Illinois Hunting And Fishing Days did not help any. But Illinois does have two more very happy Rifleman. Will The Guy get even with me for scheduling another September event? Most likely. Am I happy with two new Rifleman in Illinois and two new shiney orange hats on the heads of Pappy and myself, you bet!

Am I satified with Illinois? NEVER!  Stay tuned to the Illinois section Shooters!!! while the Illinois Appleseed schedule may be over for Illinois in 08, Instructor Training is in the works and scheduling for 09 is underway, be a part of it!

And don't forget, Ditchwater II in Indiana, you know the event where us Illinoisians go next door and kick Hoosier Butt!!!!

Thank you everyone

G69
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Pappy

Hello Group; Tim and Caleb are the two new RIFLEMEN here in the Illinois Valley.  Yes these fellows have been to The Independance Day AS in Ottawa The Labor day shoot in Chili, Tim only at the First sept shoot and then the pair  made Illinois Appleseed history. The best conversion of shooters to Riflemen in attendence to date. Get out the chaulk and put it on the board! Well done Tim And Caleb, YOU both certainly EARNED it. Saturday afternoon was cut a bit short, a cloud of little #$@%$&@!! devel no see ums took over the range they must have been the ookernoober sooper steathy sort as they rolled in the bug dope and smiled while chomping the flesh it was covering, We did name a few of the SKEEETERS, just the ones with spurs on to be respecful to the ones that were in the Red Cross. Again Well Done, Caleb & Tim Hope to see you again soon. AS always and keep them in the black. It is a pleasure to have worked with you all, Guy, G69, Doc, Tim & Caleb. Doc you have some of the coolest iron I have seen to date, LOVE that vortex flash gizzmo. See Ya soon Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

colycat

I am so with you guys,  low turn out and still a good event.  How are we going to get people to get off the couch, away from the sunday circus of football and come to an AS to help save this God Given Republic.  I have felt like Cicero my whole life untill The Appleseed Project.  Now that we have some Instructors in the midwest , few show up.  I have very few pre regs for Winniaqha in Lodi WI. 

The people are out there, We just have to get to them.

Three Riflemen is 3 times better than none.  Good work, you guys

CC
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

funfaler

Within 2 hour drive of most any location that we hold Appleseeds, is several million people, like 2-6 million, depending on location.

So, to think that we can't get 30-50 shooters on a line at any given Appleseed is just plain silly.

What I am trying to say is that we are a LONG WAYS from saturating our market.  We are a LONG WAYS from reaching everyone we can reach. 

This is by no means intended to 'thump' anyone for this "low turn out", heck this turn out is great, if we have 3 more IITs!  (You did not let them leave with out a contract signed in blood, that they will step up to be come IITs, did you?  :o)

The point is that at any given Appleseed, there are thousands that would be giddy to come to it, we just need to reach them.  There are plenty of real Americans, that have their priorities straight enough to come to an Appleseed, vs. watching a "sport".

It is up to us to get them to understand that real life, being a real American, is much more exciting than watching a sport, or playing a video game. 

This should just embolden us all to beat the Appleseed drum that much more, all the time, everywhere we go. 

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

Tjava777

Hello group,

Caleb and I had a great time at Ottawa...we are learning bit by bit and AS is a great place for that ....
When we were the only ones to show saturday...  Pappy said...we are here for you two..!  .......they could have scrubbed it....this had a profound affect on my son...he said..."they must have known how bad we wanted rifleman..lol...

not many follow through like that....

My son and I have talked about what freedoms we have because of the charcter of our forefathers...personal responsibility, persistance, faithfulness, self-sacrifice...endurance...self control....marks of a TRUE rifleman go beyond skill alone.

Guy and Pappy...there should be a medal for endurance just for the cloud of bugs covering the field....I thought we were in some weird sci-fi movie at one point..lol

Thank you to Guy, Pappy,Garand69, Doc and also Sheepdog at Chilicothe for tips and intruction and your generosity in patience....we will be in it for next spring...moving up from 22l rifle to the next level..thanks Pappy for breaking out the AR for a treat for Caleb he smiled ALL THE WAY HOME!

I wil be bringing two more guys with next spring and family out western state  will be attending also...out there..

Hey Guy...here's yer sign! 

Tjava777

[attachment=1]
[attachment=2]
[attachment=3]
[attachment=4]
[attachment=5]

Truth can be denied but it cannot be avoided.

Tjava777

OK missed on that pic of Pappy ...consistant instruction...

[attachment=1]
Truth can be denied but it cannot be avoided.

2thdoc

I think I have to take a week long course first ::)
Nice looking ar there :o
Pat

Pappy

Hello Doc; The program does not require that you attend the week long boot camp. You have been to 4 or so Appleseeds that I can remember. You are well on your way. Just say, (I will) and join in the fun and frolic. We would be glad to have your help at any level. There is a weekend instructors class in the works. ;D ;) :) Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

Garand69

Quote from: 2thdoc on October 01, 2008, 10:37:51 PM
I think I have to take a week long course first ::)
Nice looking ar there :o

Don't be silly, as Pappy said, your a Rifleman and you continue to attend Appleseeds to improve your skills, what more do you need other than proper web sling whipping techniques, and for that I will loan you Wet Foot and a Garand sling!  ;D

Thanks for Checking in Tango Triple Seven, As you noted, The dedication is there on the part of the Instructors/IIT's around here, and all it takes is a little bit of dedication on the shooters part and they will be Rifleman! Let me know when you ready to start Instructing Rifleman!

See you all in the Spring (or sooner at an Instructor Boot Camp )
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

2thdoc

let me know when next boot camp in osage beach. I cant make this one, need more notice.
Pat

The Guy

So anyway, I walk into the store and what did I see but Happy Bunny.  Noticed the HB was pointing in the direction of the rest of the range, specifically the plinking pits (wanna bump fire a Garand anyone?) and the benches (AR's, tacticooled out, including the kitchen sink, off a sand bag).  So HB had to go back to the range for the day.

Ron The Range Guy thought it was a hoot.  He also enjoyed the target I sent over to the ever present Al The Safety Guy

Tim Caleb and Doc, good to see you.  It was my pleasure to be there when all three of you hit.  Then you backed it up.  ROCK ON!

Except for the bugs.  That sucked.  Where did those LBB's comefrom anyway?  They were swimming in the OFF like it was refreshing mist?!?!?!

Sheesh.

Osage will be in the fall again, I assume.  May be one in the spring too?  Who can see the future.  Be good to see you there though.

Let me know how the search for the next step goes, and bring friends next time.  That's why you never sell guns, you just let others have the hand-me-downs to shoot.

Guy out!

2thdoc

Ruger should really sponsor appleseed! How many 10/22s have we sold ; and tech sights  and volquartsen???
Pat

colycat

I dont know, maybe 5000 more than they would have.  Gander has all the low end ones for 199.  This is about 40 less than earler this year.  With volume comes cost breaks.  Yes they should put some money into the program.

Your turn.  Contact Ruger, and tell them about AS.  They are probabley wondering why they are selling so many 1022's.

Isnt Appleseed Fun!!  You asked a really good question, and now its your project.  You are now an official Appleseed Rep.  Go get Ruger!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Colycat
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

colycat

I forgot to mention, since you are now officially the Ruger contact.  Start out with the LTR stats.  over 26000 views on their little gun.  over 600 posts,  this should impress.  It would me.  Good luck with your new project. Have fun with it, because it will be.

The folks at Ruger, like all gun people are really nice, you will meet at least by phone, some great Americans.

CC

2thdoc

ARE YOU TALKING TO ME???

Seriously This fred guy might have a little more luck than I would.  Don't you think.
Pat

wcmartin1

"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Pappy

Hey there Doc; It`s just a small bucket and we are all behind you, each one of us with our own little pail. Just bail where you can and don`t worry who gets wet. youcandooooitt from the movie (water boy) J.Pappy