News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Need NJ Firearms Advice

Started by ThePoet, March 07, 2014, 11:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThePoet

I grew up in Medford and moved to North Carolina after college but travel back to Philly/South Jersey for work on a pretty regular basis.  Sometimes I drive up and I wanted to see if anyone can give me some advice on how to legally transport firearms and ammo in New Jersey.  I have a North Carolina Concealed Carry Permit which I realize is not recognized in New Jersey. 

What do I have to do in order to legally possess and transport firearms in New Jersey?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Poet

Charles McKinley

I urge you to contact a NJ attorney that specializes in their special kind of FIREARMS law.  The Consulting fee will be much less than the cost of being arrested.

Look for the video I think from MD where they ran the guy's plates and came back he had a CCW permit.  Pulled everyone and everything out of the car because they didn't believe he left the gun at home in the safe.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

malabar

Walk very carefully here.

There are guys sitting in prison because they were just trying to transport a legally owned firearm through the garden state.   The laws are designed to prevent people from bringing out-of-state guns into the state.

Be very careful, even when acting upon the advice of an attorney.  Various police agencies have their own interpretations of the state's laws, and you have very little avenue of appeal.

tk
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

Josey Wales

..Long guns are different than pistols and a CCP.  Which are you asking about cause different laws apply?..

..I often transport Rifles into and out of NJ legally..
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

ThePoet

Quote from: Josey Wales on March 09, 2014, 11:24:32 PM
..Long guns are different than pistols and a CCP.  Which are you asking about cause different laws apply?..

..I often transport Rifles into and out of NJ legally..

I was thinking mostly of handguns.

ThePoet

Thanks for the advice.  I didn't realize how strict the punishment was in NJ. 

I was involved in a minor car accident a few years ago in North Carolina.  When the police arrived, the officer ran my license and discovered that I had a CCP.  I told him that I didn't have any weapons on me or in the vehicle, and thus had no reason to show him my permit or advise him that I was armed.  He understood and said he just wanted to thank me for being a responsible, law-abiding citizen.  What a difference between being recognized as a responsible citizen and having your car torn apart or thrown in jail.

I do miss diners, pork roll, and Jersey corn and tomatoes, but would like to avoid incarceration. 

dwarven1

You MAY be able to get a non-resident FID card. I'd say contact the NJSP about it. I still have my old one from when I lived in NJ (left in '87) and the local PD that issued it told that I could get the address changed (get it re-issued) but by the NJSP.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON