News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR for Newberry, March 1 and 2, 2014

Started by TAZDevil, March 04, 2014, 10:30:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TAZDevil

AFTER ACTION REPORT:  Newberry, South Carolina: March 1 and 2, 2014
Temperatures were in the high 30s in AM and mid 60s F in PM.  Beautiful, sunny, wind was calm most of both days
The Newberry Pistol Club outdoor range is primitive; no electricity, no bathrooms.
We had 14 students on Saturday and 10 on Sunday. 
Students were extremely enthusiastic, all but one were first time Appleseed attendees.
Shoot Boss: TAZDevil
Red Hats: DreamerofDreams and DrJohn
IITs:    DEH (IIT0 promoted to IIT1), bcurfman (IIT2), jumpboot (IIT3 promoted to IIT4) and Seabright (IIT0 promoted to IIT1)
Instruction was excellent from the IITs, with a special shout out to jumpboot's teaching aids; I feel embarrassed.  Additionally, bcurfman came all the way from north of Pittsburg, PA to bring his SC brother and nephew to the AS!  Seventh stepping at its best.
Great weather for early March in South Carolina.
SAFE days and we created two riflemen: Brett and Paul.

Also created two new red hats: Bolt212 and Thomas Sumpter

Congratulations to those who attended this Appleseed.

The range is narrow (100 yds max) and was initially scheduled for 12 participants.  We allowed two walk-ons which made the line tight (hard to get between students).  We will hold tight to the 12 participants in the future or shoot two flights.
The students were very proficient at handling their rifles.  Nice tight groups were produced (even newbie to rifles, Jimea) but the rapid fire stages caused problems for the majority of the students.  Quite a few knocking at the door.
"An Englishman's home is his castle" Jason Russell

"Posterity, you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that ever I took half the pains to preserve it."  John Adams

TAZDevil

error
we did not have two new red hats
sorry
TAZDevil
"An Englishman's home is his castle" Jason Russell

"Posterity, you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that ever I took half the pains to preserve it."  John Adams

DrJohn

Accolades to our gallant students, who braved chilly temperatures to learn the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship and hear  the Story of April 19, 1775, the battles of Lexington and Concord. We shot a large number of AQT targets and the attendees persisted with great determination. My commendation to all, and my fondest wishes to see all of you again soon. Huzza!!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

Wheelgun

It was a great weekend.  Thanks to all of you guys for making it a great experience.  I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to doing it again.  Here's the write up from my blog.

http://wheelieg.com/2014/03/03/my-appleseed-experience/

Wheelgun