News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

youth shooting camp

Started by imadentist, March 03, 2014, 03:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imadentist

The Williamson County Gun Club (Carterville IL) is once again hosting a youth shooting camp on June 7, 2014 from 9:00 am through 4:00 pm.  They could use our help to staff the rifle line (center fire and rim fire).  This is a great opportunity to reach a bunch of kids ages 9 to 17 as well as their parents.  If you can help out it would be great.  I will attach the flyer with more info.

Russ/IMA

Mutti

Thanks imadentist -

This is a well attended Event with a limit of 100 Youth and their families attending. Our Family has participated when possible (Instructing).

2012 Photo Set

Larry Morse who assists in Facilitating this event is also our main contact for Marion Illinois Appleseeds, so dig out your colorful Hats and Project Appleseed Shirts - we'll see you there!
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

2 clicks low

This is a long haul from Chicago. If you don't find enough local help let me know and I'll get there.

2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

imadentist

2CL

Thanks for the offer.  Staffing the line is not really a problem...lots of folks from the shooting community show up every year and give their time. I RO'd an SPP match last weekend with a gentleman whom I never met before that travels down to work this event...good guy who is on the board of a good club...we have not been successful in getting the club to support appleseed yet but I think we will eventually get them on board.  It is just a great opportunity to 7th step and reach some people.  It seems like we are having real issues getting people to the lines...I know ammo is one reason, but I think there is more to it than that.

Good luck up North.  I pushed hard to get a family I know who lives within 30 min. of ASC to show up at your next waterman shoot...but I could not get them over the hump for easter weekend...but they may show up to observe and hear the history on Saturday.  I do believe you will see them on the line very soon.  If they show up you will know it...Grandpa is a real hoot!

Russ
IMA

RedFox24

Russ

Shoot me a PM when it gets closer to time, I think I can make it but that is a bit far out for work with the wet weather we are having down here right now, was there on Saturday for a class with Larry, great bunch of folks.  BTW I am a NRA RSO if that helps......or hurts!

Redfox24
"Preparedness is not an event.  It's a continuous process." 
Dr. Julie Gerberding, Director, CDC

Mutti

BTT - Please contact Larry Morse or send Ima/Mutti a PM

June 7, 2014

:-)
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

Mutti

BTTT

Directions here: http://wcgunclub.org/

We'll be there at 8:30 am if anyone can make it.
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

slim

You guys might want to check with the national director to make sure it's okay to be there with Appleseed stuff on. Staffing events like this could put our program in jeopardy.

There's nothing wrong with setting up a table and passing out info but "working" a firing line with anything that says Appleseed might give people the idea we're sponsoring the event and, as such, bring undue liability onto our program.

Mutti

Thank you Slim. We've assisted in the past. If a problem is addressed we shall go sans "Hats" and "Shirts" - with a pocket full of fliers and schedules.

We hope to do as well as you did @ NRA Kids Day - that's been a great mention when the Organizers came back from Indy.

Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

slim

The NRA Youth Day was staffed almost exclusively by Appleseed Volunteers but there was no live firing (other than an airsoft range) and thus our risk was mitigated. At present, there's a huge new worry about us doing events where we're "working" firing lines while simultaneously promoting Appleseed. We have to be careful to avoid associating ourselves with sponsorship of events where we're not covered under our own liability waivers.

Please keep in mind this doesn't prohibit us from setting up a table and passing out flyers. This is simply a new policy where we can't "run the event" hand-in-hand with the event organizers, even if they ask us to do so.

SPQR

Slim I was asking about this on another thread. If liability is such an issue why can we not use our own waiver at the actual line?  Or have it signed at the door?  Would that not give use the protection we normally have at a shoot?  What is the difference here?  What am I missing?
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

eaglescouter

Quote from: SPQR on June 07, 2014, 01:12:39 PM
Slim I was asking about this on another thread. If liability is such an issue why can we not use our own waiver at the actual line?  Or have it signed at the door?  Would that not give use the protection we normally have at a shoot?  What is the difference here?  What am I missing?

I'm not Slim, but if an event is not listed on EventBrite as an Appleseed and run by a green/red hat, then our liability insurance is not available.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

slim

From what I understand the policy is being reviewed.

SPQR

Okay, we put it on entire and make sure ares hat is on site. What next?
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

eaglescouter

Quote from: SPQR on June 07, 2014, 10:19:11 PM
Okay, we put it on entire and make sure ares hat is on site. What next?

Dear Autocorrect, I'm getting tired of your shirt.....
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

SPQR

I can type 90 words a minute but these phones really tarnish my I mag

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

connibear

It has been mentioned to add these events to the events page as a private event. I was also told that the guidelines are being reviewed. For those of you who have access this topic has been discussed a bit and review is in process. Here is a link to go to see Freds comment's concerning MO recent Heritage Girls event: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=41248.0

In my opinion also this topic should be moved or discussed elsewhere in a different thread instead of being figured out here.
......"Where the spirit of the Lord is there is Liberty."    I Cor. 3:17b

A Nation that does not serve the Lord Jesus Christ cannot and does not have Liberty.

Mutti

Awaiting further review.

The Event went well and it is heartening to see the input as Everyone becomes more active in out reach to the Youth of our Nation.

Together We are doing great things and thank you all for your input  O0

Mutti

Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)