News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Santa Barbara , CA 03/01-03/02

Started by MR B (549), March 03, 2014, 02:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MR B (549)

They say that it never rains in Southern California and that we are experiencing a terrible drought here. Well it seems that the heavens opened up finally and downed buckets of rain on our shoot this weekend . Perched high in the mountains overlooking Santa Barbara , Winchester Gun Club , where our  shoot took place ,  bore the brunt of a huge storm which came in over the weekend , and the rain , lashing down , made for a treacherous drive up the one lane hairpin roads . We arrived and waited for the range master to open up and wondered if anyone would show up for the shoot in this storm . The Rangemaster showed up , on time and did a wonderful job in helping  us set up the range . He gave us a place which had a covered line, although it didn't really matter since the rain managed to find its way in . I think he was taken aback by our commitment to be there and I could tell that he had a sort of wonderment to see if anyone would show . The rest of the range was closed . Bang on 8:30am, a shooter arrived , then another , then another , then a father and son , then another .
"If it aint rainin then it aint worth trainin " said one , and we knew that although it was going to be challenging , we'd adapt , overcome and prevail . I started to think about about Lexington , Woburn , The bloody angle and felt a little ashamed that I had had even a smidgen of doubt that we could pull this off , sure hadn't the boys back then had it worse than us and hadn't they prevailed.
Check in took a while since the papers and target backers were all soaked but we got started and I was bowled over by the commitment and the singleminded dedication that each shooter put in . Everyone was attentive and safe , even with all that water bucketing down on us and we trudged on through the first morning in the mud ,in the rain,  doing the best with what we had . No one complained , no one moaned , no one bitched , no one felt entitled . Real American values!!!!
The rain never let up all throughout the first day and although we did lose the father and son ( I can't fault them for leaving , it was cold and miserable ) we did gain two riflemen later that afternoon . Through all the adversity , all of the rain , the backers blowing down , shouting over the noise of the hammering rain and howling winds , all the time getting up and down onto soggy shooting mats ,we persevered , we overcame , we succeeded . Congrats to returnee Paul and first timer Harold . You guys both shot amazing groups and scores .!!!!

Towards the end of the first day , it was getting on , if they wanted to go home to a warm house or shoot another AQT . A unanimous decision for another AQT O0.........

The rain finally let up midmorning today . At that stage the shooters had weathered the storm and  were in their bubbles , hammering away and taking in the stories of liberty and bravery throughout the events of 1775 and beyond . We talked about the the history , the bill of rights , the constitution , our successes as a nation ,we the people   able to overcome , with the help of community , any rain storms which may come our way .

Much thanks to Ventura Steve , Tom for all the great help , and the good people at WC Gun club for having us .

In liberty

B
In a time of universal deceit,
telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
George Orwell

Paul12H

Great range in the hills above SB. Excellent instruction by Mr. B, Ventura-Steve and Tom they kept it moving and interesting. Shooting the M1 Garand in inclement weather was great - gave a tiny bit of perspective what our dads and grandfathers may have had to do... then we went home to our warm houses safe secure and free in our liberty at the end of the day.

Andtrano

Great instruction and a really great experience overall.  My shots low and to the right (which is a problem I have had for a couple years) was quickly identified and corrected with proper form - instant improvement! Simply amazing. Shooting in the heavy rain and cold wind was part of the fun. Finding a steady MPOA with rain on you and in the cold was part of the training. You need to be ready for any conditions, and training in those conditions, trying to keep your hands warm and rifles dry, was part of the adventure.  The second day had a some breaks in the rain, and the practice from the day before really shined through.  Pro tip - when it's cold out, don't breathe on the scope.  Good instructors and a good class group, I really felt like we had plenty of both class and shoot time.  Very pleased and recommending to others.  A real memorable experience.  Five stars - would buy again.

Camljr

Quote from: Andtrano on March 03, 2014, 10:37:06 PM
Typo - "NPOA"

Maybe since it was so wet and rainy, you meant MPOA (mushy point of aim)..... :slap: >:D #) :-X
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

G_fresh

Sounds like you guys all had a lot of fun! Wish I could have been there...

Ryan