News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

KD Appleseed in Palm Bay

Started by malabar, February 25, 2014, 01:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malabar

Folks,

We've had some scheduling conflicts, but have finally gotten everything squared away for a KD Appleseed at PMRPC in Palm Bay.

The event will be led by the fearless PHenry and will take place on Florida's only certified 600-yard competition range.  You can shoot the Appleseed at full distance, and then get some experience at shooting a full 600 yards.

You can sign-up here:

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/palm-bay-fl-appleseed-known-distance-august-30-31-2014-tickets-10665301203?aff=es2&rank=13&sid=f62a01459dd811e3970d12313b01554c

Please note: This is a centerfire event for instructors and riflemen only. You must know your rifle and sights prior to attending.

There are hotels in the area that will give a discount if you tell them you're coming to the rifle club, and camping is available on site (power is available, but no potable water or sewerage).

For further info, contact malabar (tom@malabargunleather.com) or bill o rites (billorites@hotmail.com).

tk

The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

TheMenace

Looking forward to it! Will we be able to use pop-up awnings that we can move as the firing line changes?
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land
https://youtu.be/w6H12dyS8FI
Joshua 1:9

Prof. C.J.

Just threw down for it -- can't wait!
"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than to lie. I believe
that it is better to be free than to be a slave. And I believe that
it is better to know than to be ignorant." – H.L. Mencken

malabar

Quote from: TheMenace on February 25, 2014, 01:14:30 PM
Looking forward to it! Will we be able to use pop-up awnings that we can move as the firing line changes?

Pop-ups are OK; but the beach cabanas are out <g>

tk
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

draken

So, even an Inferno Seed is possible....

I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Those things which are precious are saved only by sacrifice."
~David K. Webster~

malabar

Quote from: draken on February 25, 2014, 06:32:25 PM
So, even an Inferno Seed is possible....

I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, just thinking that. 

But if you remember, last August's Appleseed was overcast, breezy  and (relatively) cool.

So you never know....

tk

draken

What's the estimated round count? 4-500 rounds???
"Those things which are precious are saved only by sacrifice."
~David K. Webster~

Guntuckian

Have signed up!  This will be fun!

--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

malabar

Quote from: draken on February 25, 2014, 08:09:10 PM
What's the estimated round count? 4-500 rounds???

At a guess, about half that.  The first half of Saturday is a class.  Shooting starts after lunch. Once we start shooting at distance, we'll be moving from firing line to firing line, which will slow the pace.

if you're going to be shooting 5.56, heavy bullets are the trick; 69-grain bullets if you can get them.

tk

TheMenace

Anyone have any interest in shooting the M1 on the PMRPC 600 yard range? There is a 200 yard, 35 round CMP style match every first Saturday at 8:00 am.  Shoot slow fire prone (single load 5 sighters and ten for score), standing (single load ten with no sling) and rapid fire prone (transistion from standing to prone shoot 2 and 8 ). They then move to 300 and 600 for slow fire prone as you wish. This is a chance to wring out your M1 before the KD Appleseed. PM me if you want more details.
Shoot Straight and Safe,
Dennis
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land

malabar

You don't even need a garand to participate. Any centerfire rifle will do.

tk

stoneknives

Paid in full and can't wait.  Thank for getting this set up my friends.
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry

BubbleHead

I just signed up.  Can't wait.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." -Plato

"This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave." -Elmer Davis

malabar

Hear Ye, Hear Ye! 

On Aug. 30th, we hold the full-distance Appleseed at PMRPC in Palm Bay.  This is one of the few opportunities in Florida to shoot at actual distance. And if all goes well, we'll move out to the 600-yard line and really give y'all a chance to stretch.

Our special guest shoot boss for this event will be the inspiring PHenry. This is one of the rare opportunities for folks in this part of the state to see him in action.

There are still spaces available and time to sign up!

tk

Agrivere

My wife loves the idea of heading to the beach this weekend and letting me shoot with you guys, so I just wanted to see if there was still space before I head down that way.

It's too late for me to sign up online, obviously, so can you confirm if there is still space available?

"The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world... The first step � in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come � is to teach men to shoot." -Theodore Roosevelt

malabar

Quote from: Agrivere on August 29, 2014, 03:12:00 PM
My wife loves the idea of heading to the beach this weekend and letting me shoot with you guys, so I just wanted to see if there was still space before I head down that way.

It's too late for me to sign up online, obviously, so can you confirm if there is still space available?

By all means. Come on down!

tk

malabar

Despite the range being flooded by a freak storm, and Florida summer heat that would make a desert rat wilt, we had a great time. You guys missed an excellent event, and the opportunity to shoot out to 600 yards.

Next time we'll target a cooler month.

tk

TheMenace

Thanks Tom (Malabar) for hosting this awesome weekend. Appleseed may have a new fan in Nick Mocca,  the PMRPC Rifle Director. The importance of "Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome" was never more relevant as we overcame the challenges of setting the distances, the wetness and heat. It was an honor to meet and shoot with such a great group of Riflemen. Thanks also to PHenry. Your passion and expertise are inspiring, sir!
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land

Prof. C.J.

Despite the inferno-class heat index, and despite having to wade in some areas (think Lechmere Point, but hot instead of cold), it was awesome.  So glad I went.   ;D Though I had never had an opportunity to shoot a rifle past 200 yards in my life till this event, I managed to make a rifleman score on my first full-distance AQT (honestly better than I expected to do as a KDAQT rookie.) 

And then after finishing our AQT some of us even got to shoot at 600, an incredibly fun and educational experience for sure!

Of course I understood theoretically that what we teach works out to long distance, but now, having applied it in real life, I can confidently tell shooters from firsthand real-world experience that if you focus on the 3 legs of the stool and then just add in the info about come-ups and wind and so on, what works at 25 works out to long range for sure. 

It was a pleasure seeing some instructors from distant corners of Florida whom I've only met once or twice before, and meeting others for the first time.  Heartfelt thanks from me to Malabar Tom for making this happen, to Nick and the other folks from the range for their hospitality, to PHenry for shootbossing and educating us about distance shooting, and to everyone else who helped out with the event.  HUZZAH!!!
"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than to lie. I believe
that it is better to be free than to be a slave. And I believe that
it is better to know than to be ignorant." – H.L. Mencken

neilevan

Looking forward to a Palm Bay KD event sometime in January or February.
"The tree of Liberty must be refreshed, from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants"